nanaimo rclaser fleet Forum

nanaimo rclaser fleet Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BOAT MAINTENANCE

The RC Laser is a very low maintenance boat,as long as you
KEEP THE WATER OUT!
Don't forget to keep up the waterproofing (lithium grease)where to servos exit the deck.re-do often,I keep a west system syringe filled with grease handy all the time.
Also store the boat with the hatch cover off,condensation can easily build up.
Silics gel packs are great to keep in the electronics compartment,but they are hard to find.
and rinse off that salty water,it's good to sail in,not to sit in.

Re: BOAT MAINTENANCE

I found some silica gel in bulk at Michaels craft store.
I geuse they use it to do dryed flowers.
I just make little packets out of breathable material.
you can re-use the stuff over and over.

Apparently,after time uv can weaken the main sheet control line.so it might be a good idea to replace the 100 lb test monofilament line.depending on how often you sail,maybe every year ?
I have enough line to last our whole fleet for 10 years.so don't buy any,just ask me.
It's a quick fix,and can save frustration on the race course.especially the RC OCEAN RACE.
AT THE LEAST YOU SHOULD MAKE SURE THE LINE IS TIGHT,LIKE A BANJO STRING,B FLAT I THINK?

EVER GET A WRINKLE IN YOUR SAIL ?
IRONING WORKS !
JUST MAKE SURE YOU PUT A TERRY TOWEL ON THE SAIL,AND SET ON HIGH STEAM.
DON'T LET THE IRON TOUCH THE SAIL,OR YOU MAY MELT THE SAIL.

When you're doing your regular waterproofing maintainence,check the on-off switch rubber cover.
They may develop cracks over time, and use.
These cracks will allow water in when submarining in a blow.The covers are cheap, and simple to replace.
The first week of March,I will be putting in a parts order.Check out the RC LASER Store at sailrc.com
E-mail me,or let me know at the next race if you need any parts,spares or new sails.The new class legal D-sail should be available soon.

Taping your hatch cover closed for racing will help to keep water out of the electronics compartment.
It really works !
Wet electronics after nose diving all day is no fun,but it can be fixed.

SO,Y'KNOW ABOUT THE RUDDER LIMITATIONS WITH THE DX5E RADIO,WHY SOME OF US HAD TO DRILL HOLES IN THE TILLER TO GIVE THE SAME "THROW" AS OTHER RADIOS ? WELL I JUST RECEIVED ONE OF THOSE "SERVO-STRETCHERS" IN THE MAIL.
IT WORKS LIKE A CHARM,FULLY ADJUSTABLE RUDDER THROW,MORE THAN WE NEED,ADJUSTABLE CENTERING KNOB ( NO MORE TRYING TO USE THE TURNBUCKLES)ALL FOR ABOUT $20. AND IT'S CLASS LEGAL !

Almost 3 years later.............................................................................Not class legal and are more trouble than they are worth in my opinion. OMG I shoulda said IMO.