nanaimo rclaser fleet Forum

nanaimo rclaser fleet Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
SAIL FASTER

Please post any advice or tips on how to sail faster around the race course here.
The more tricks and tactics we all know,the closer the racing will be.
"fast is fun"(the wizard)

Re: SAIL FASTER

One of the things that can slow you down real fast on the race course is getting "stuck in irons(stopping head to wind).
It's easier to do on the RC Laser than on boats that have jibs.It can happen for a number of reasons, like hesitating while tacking (not keeping the helm down untill the tack is completed).or,if your sail is set too deep for the conditions,a gust or puff can round you up and park you.
The best way to get out of irons, is to ease the sail,and push the helm over to one side(it doesn't matter which side)and let the boat back up.It will.keep backing up with the helm turned hard over untill your boat is pointing well below your close hauled course.Then s l o w l y sheet in the sail,and push the helm to center or beyond.now your sailing again.practice it.

LESS IS MORE:
You know how they say on "big boats" to dress for the lulls?
carry lots of sail and "handle"the puffs?
Well I've noticed on the RC Laser that less is more.The "B" sail may be a little faster than the "C" upwind in certain conditions,but when the "B" sail submarines and stops going down wind the "C" will just fly by.more than making up for the small sacrifice upwind.the same goes for the"A"/"B" sails.
So I like to switch as soon as I can to the smaller/faster sail.knowing when that is,I'm still trying to figure out.
Time on the boat!

The best way to win a race is to :
1-Start first
2-Increase your lead

what i learned today.AGAIN.
in light air,boatspeed is everything.
you can't steer if your not moving!
don't point so high,sail set alittle deeper.
think big,never give up.

IMPORTANT THINGS TO REMEMBER BEFDORE LAUNCHING:

1-MAKE SURE RUDDER AND KEEL ARE LOCKED IN SECURELY.
2-MAKE SURE POWER IS ON !
3-MAKE SURE MAIN SHEET IS ATTATCHED.
4-MAKE SURE MAIN SHEET RUNS ON STARBOARD SIDE OF MAST.

I'VE SEEN ALL THESE THINGS DONE (NOT DONE) AND ANY OF THEM MAKE FOR A VERY SLOW SAIL.IF YOU CAN GET YOUR BOAT BACK !

Switching sails is always tricky business, sort of like the art of weather prediction.
Big black clouds in a line are a cue!
rapidly changing barometers, changes in chop due to tides and wind changes,
the skys the limit even for these little guys.

SOME TIMES OUR RACE COMMITTEE SETS THE START LINE A LITTLE SHORT.
IN THOSE SIUATIONS SOMETIMES I FIND IT GOOD TO STAY BACK A LITTLE AND AVOID THE MAYHEM(SEE VIDEO)EVEN IF YOUR 2 0R 3 SECONDS LATE,IT'S BETTER THAN GETTING SLAMED BACK INTO LAST.EVEN THE BOAT THAT SLAMMED YOU MAY STILL END UP AHEAD AFTER HIS DO-NUTS.

Something i read today from an experienced RC RACER...
"I spend 60% of the time looking at my boat and 40% of the time looking at the other boats,to pick my course upwind and checking their point of sail and trim."

your outhaul should be set so that when you let go of the "stick" the boat sails itself upwind.
if the boat rounds up,the sail is too deep,tighten up the outhaul a little.
If the sails too flat,you just won't have any power or boatspeed.
watch the guys that are going fast.

KNOW THE RULES. Not only will knowing the rules keep your chances of penalty turns down,tackticly they can help you to set up early for mark roundings etc.
Pick up a rule book and sail faster.