nanaimo rclaser fleet Forum

nanaimo rclaser fleet Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RC OCEAN RACE 2010

The Dinghy Dock Pub has once again signed on as the host of the RC OCEAN RACE in April.We still have volunteer chase boats available,going fast.20-30 boats predicted for the start.Any questions or info you'd like to share,post it here.

Re: RC OCEAN RACE 2010

As this years race is counter-clockwise,saving the narrow pass known as the "gap" for last,anything can happen in the last 12 mile to the finish.
I don't think you want to be the first boat into the gap.The second,third or fourth place boats have the great advantage of seeing where the "holes' are,and sailing around them and past the "parked" lead boats.
But like i said,anything can happen.
now I'm not suggesting that if your in the lead, you do do-nuts and let other boats pass you,I'm just saying,if your in the lead it may not last.

With the tide rising 2 feet during the race,the competitors will be fighting some flood current as they head south out of Nanaimo harbour.If the log boom is there,the first tactical decision will be which side to choose. This will be a critical choice early in the race.Which way would you go ?

Heading north up the backside of Protection Island should be a no-brainer,heading further offshore into the straight of Georgia for more flood current and maybe more wind is the way to go.OR IS IT ?

Heading into the "gap" at the north end of Protection offers up some more challenges.The flood current can come from both directions culminating somewhere in the middle of the sandbar,covered in about 6 feet of water at the time.
The breeze in the "gap" can also come from any direction,as well as shutting off and turning on at any time.
Picking the wrong course here could be a major turning point this late in the race.

IT AIN'T OVER YET FOLKS !
Now you're back in Nanaimo harbour,back into the flood current(maybe).Now you have to negotiate your way through anchored boats.watch for the wind bending around the pub.The finish line is in sight,is there a back-eddy under the long ramp ?should I try it? Am i on the layline yet ? I'm so thirsty !I can hear the fat lady singing.

The heat is on as another IOM enters the race.
This one from Victoria,These IOM's are HOT,and will be in the hunt for the "mini barn door"

The entries are poring in (well,dripping in ) the entry list hits 18 boats,as Dave,from the Interior enters his Seawind.4 different classes so far.
If you want in,and need one of our friendly,local chase boats with driver/tactician/guide,act fast and reserve now.

Coool !!! glad to see the early intrest in the event Bruce. Soooo, not that I'm worried or anything like that, but what are the classes that are coming, and do I need to be working on a faster boat to protect the barndoor???