​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

MASTERFOX
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
fun question for you old timers

Being A die hard blue grass music fan and wont to be fox hunter I always heard Bill Monroe was A fox hound man.My question is have any of you boys up Kentucky way ever git to hunt with the man or know anybody who did? I posted this for my 89 year old papow who started me in fox hounds we are in SC but he think every things better in Kentucky as far as dogs horses an mules go.thanks for your time good hunting boys.Joshua K Fowler 864-381-9319

Re: fun question for you old timers

I'm 53 years old. Bill Monroe came to my area for a show when I was probably 9-10 years old. After the show he came out to sign autographs and such... I stood in line with my dad for a long time to see him.. I remember my dad asking him about his hounds and you could see his eyes light up. They spent just a couple minutes talking dogs. I remember him saying he kept mostly Raider bred hounds at that time... I also saw a show on CBS one Sunday morning about him. He was at his old homeplace and they showed several hounds laying around the yard and on the porch and talked to him about wrecking a car and breaking his leg or both legs one time trying to head his dogs before they got to a highway.... Will never forget those things...

Talk to Mickey Kennedy. He and his Dad Bill ran with Bill Monroe.

I saw Ricky Scaggs on cmt he said he and Bill Monroe hunted in a pen every Tuesday night

Several years ago, a short time before Bill Monroe passed away, I talked to Ricky Scaggs after a Blue Grass show he gave in Decatur, Il. I told Ricky I had 2 weaned pups to give to Bill. He told me if Bill got better he would let me know. I told Ricky I would take them to Bill. Ricky gave me his phone number but Bill passed away shortly afterwards so I couldn't follow through. Ricky hunted many Monday evenings at Bill's farm so they heard many good races. Bill loved his hounds.

Thanks for the reply to my question about bills hounds I to have heard him talk about fox hunting on different TV shows.I always enjoy listen and reading old stories about hounds and hunts from the past.I am only 37 but I guess I am A dying breed. I hunt in the pens some and enjoy it but I mostly nite hunt on the outside.I will take A dog that comes back to the fire after day lite over speed any time.But both brains and speed together is good also.Thanks and good hunting.JOSHUA K FOWLER