​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

MASTERFOX
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Deer Dog Crosses ?

What breeding ( crosses ) have made the best deer dogs ?

Re: Deer Dog Crosses ?

Best crosses we got are walker/july. We got a male off Prevost thumper an BWS 3 legs that is a deer driving freak!! He will go all day an bark every breath hard chop mouth. Needs no help. Few gyps diff breeds that do the same. So I say thats whats workin for us im the deer woods.. God Bless.

Our diceman and gurdy's guy dogs crossed on hills bred dogs are STRONG deer dogs. A friend of mine has a male dog named Bentley in perry fl that is guy and diceman bred and he is the total package and throws it in his pups. Hes got the speed, the drive ,the trail, and he drifts a cold track like hes running it. Since we have gone to those crosses every pup has turned out to be nice. Not just one or two from the litter.

I've always heard Clown and Singing Sam bred hounds were some of the best crosses to run a deer right. I just bred a really nice Atkins and Borum's bred gyp to Crisco's New Bern hoping for some deer heathens like herself. I started this post just to see what's working for others. Thanks for the replies.

I have several gyps that go back to Frog, their mother was off of Frog and a Poison bred gyp....one is pretty stout and one is tougher than any bucket of nails you ever seen. Not quite the total package, as one has more hunt due to her breeding on the top, and one has more speed due to her breeding on the top......next cross we hope we hit the mark! Also had a man in SC tell me the Kidds Gone Famous dogs could make a deer motor....may wanna call Runt Kidd about that.

I have seen some little small frame gyps off of boones ruben that are some fine deer dogs. hollywood and liquor breeding make fine deer dogs

Tha best I've had we're off of butler's superman

I think most any breed will work if they are started and trained out side where they learn to use there nose and run game and not up and down roads.

I second that Danny

It seems that the dogs that I trained in the woods first that trail and run there own game don't do so well in the pen. They will be in the race but usually way back. They fly on a deer but on the yotes and fox they drag there feet. I have just decided to split my pens and have deer dogs and fox dogs but not both.

Houston X Mohammed has crossed well in the past. From my experience, I like the mohammed bred dogs best in the deer woods. True track runners in my opinion and look good doing it.