​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

MASTERFOX
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What's the fastest speeds you've seen on GPS?

Wat is the top speeds have yall ever seen a dog get on your GPS?

Just wondering?I thought it would be a little more than what I have got/JUST CURIOUS.

Not talking about average speeds.

Re: What's the fastest speeds you've seen on GPS?

low 20's

I see we're the Howell's have some that goes 35 to 40 now that is flying .

Bull****

They mite have n back of a truck

28mph

With the Alpha collar you can plug it directly to the computer and it will show you every 2.5 second interval of the day. When August looks at a coyote she can hit the upper 30s with no problem. I think some folks don't plug the collar in, they just look at the info on the handheld unit. The collar has a little more info on it. If you have it on in the truck you can see it hit 55 or 60 but you can get close to 40 with just the hound.

60 mph on the way to the fox pen I turned em on before I left the house so I wouldn't have to colar dogs when I got there

wow! and a greyhound tops out at 43 - 45 mph
and thats on a race track

On a honest speed 9mph is the fastest speed,but thats good walker hound those julys Rodney runs sometimes might be a little faster coming up the road trying to catch Smilie

WHEN I RUN MINE IN A PEN.WHEN I SEE OR KNOW WHEN A DOG IS FULLY STRETCHED OUT,I'LL RESET IT & I THOUGHT THAT WOULD GIVE ME A TRUE (MPH).AM I RIGHT OR WRONG.NOT SURE.IT SEEMS TO ME THAT WOULD BE THE RIGHT WAY.

BEST I'VE SEEN DOING IT THAT WAY IS A LITTLE OVER 22mph.

Buddy, my fettered friend, forget the gps all your going to need is a clicker to keep up with the times these julys lap old smiley

I agree with mr pritchard upper 22 s the rest of unes need to enter some of your coyote hounds that are over 30 mph in some grey hound races and make history and id like to know how you guys dogs a breed cause i need some of that stock in my kennel please dont blow smoke up my a$% ive heard it all or maybe your being honest and u need to send your garmin back cause its broke lol

Our fast ones usually carry a couple crosses of a dog that came from the Spurlocks called Mr. Dallas S which was out of Sport and Squirrel. Now we have the Dallas blood and a lot of Mr. Jasper S who also came from the Spurlocks. Also a lot of Jim Beech breeding including Ben and Goldie and Joker.
The July was Southern bred but I don't remember her pedigree.
I agree the Garmins are not terribly accurate but I am a scientist and a skeptical person by nature so I swapped collars on different dogs to make sure there wasn't something wrong with the collar. We have 3 collars and whichever one we put on Bill tops out at about 25 mph. Whichever one we put on August will show 32 or 33 mph just about every time and some days it will show 37 mph. Like I said, the collars aren't exactly accurate but we know from experience that the top speed of a hound we had called Triton was somewhere in the lower 30s and the top speed of the July Hannah was in the mid 30s. Those speeds were what the speedometer on a Yamaha Grizzly showed as the hounds were being lead along side.
So, maybe the Garmins are wrong and maybe the Yamaha was wrong but at some point you have to wonder if all the doubting is unwarranted.

This what we have here in Finland .

When they coldtracking 6-12mph when they running 12-28mph in woods.In field sometimes ( 33mph I hear but not seen my self )

RODNEY YOU MAYBE RITE,BUT THE LAST TIME WE MET THEM JULY'S DIDN'T NO WHERE THEM SMILEY'S WENT.

JUST MESSING W/YOU.I WANT TO CROSS ONE OF THESE SMILEY GYPS ON A JULY.

LOOKING FOR A THUNDER MALE.TRY TO PUT A LIL SPEED ON SOME OF THE JULY WORLD.

MAYBE YOUR RITE HEATH.I KNOW THAT EVERY BODY I'VE SEEN W,GPS SAYS TO TOP OUT AROUND 22.

IF YOUR DOG IS IN THE 30'S THAT IS OUTSTANDING.BILLY WAS TELLING ME ABOUT THE SPEEDS YALL WERE GETTING OUT OF THESE DOGS.THAT'S AMAZING.CONGRATS ON YOUR WIN.OL'BILL HAS TO BE A GOOD HOUND.YALL DONE GOOD W/HIM ALL OVER.HAPPY HUNTING TO YALL.

HOPE TO GET OURS BACK IN SHAPE & COME DOWN & RUN W/YALL SOON.BILLY SAID PEN IS RUNNING BETTER NOW THAN IT WAS LAST YEAR.CAN'T WAIT TO COME DOWN AGAIN.GOOD LUCK.

What about the fastest average over 5 hours? That is what tells a more important story.

How fast does your dog average over a day of running. Not just a snapshot in time. Any dog should have a good burst if they eyeball one.

ran 4 dogs friday nite at pen and got 17,22,23 and 25 mph and they averaged 4,5,6,6 mph. oh and turned loose at 7pm and caught the last one at 645am.now the ones that did 17 and 22 are probally my best track dogs and the one that did 23 likes the front end, and the one that did 25 is just about 20 months old and seems to be doing a very good job.

ps. they are all walkers.

I have a 320 and Saturday i was at a pup hunt and one of my pups thats 10 months old was doing 27.10 miles and hours for about 45 mins then he went to 17 18 miles per hours

The faster they are going the less they are in the woods

Did your pup place in the hunt dalton

We need to quit here in sc. We have dogs from every corner of the earth and 9mph average is stroking here. Must be all the trees and briars.

THAT IS TRUE GARY ON THE AVERAGE ..SOME DO BETTER

9 MPH WILL GET THEM CULLED

Interesting observation. A buddy of mine ran three of his hounds in a pen. Used GPS collars on all of them and watched them run all day.
The hound that dominated the running had the slowest GPS reading. The hound that was often last or cutting to catch up had the highest.
They are a great tool, but the old eye test might still have to be applied.

You are correct Eric. I have been using a Garmin for about 4 years and the cutting slashing type hounds have a much higher average speed and take in more miles than the type of hounds most of us are looking for. The Garmin is a great tool but I do not recommend culling dogs due to their speed or mileage during a hunt according to a GPS reading.
This post was started by talking top speed rather than average speed over the course of a hunt. By downloading the info from your GPS collar to a computer you can determine a dogs fastest bursts of speed, but as far as I am concerned this does little when evaluating a hounds overall performance.

Youse Guys must have some open pens to run in I think my dogs might have run 15 or 20 mph in old running w pen when Porky and I use to run in livinston Texas.Down At Ed Bacons pen the dogs run the game swamps and thickets,dog cant run 15 or 20 mph,too thick. some body got some cutting dogs.Yeh uh hu I run with you guys,some.dog got to get in that swamp an help me.

Just my opinion here. Most dogs running that fast aint thinking. They just in a hurry. My experience the intelligent hound is usually about 3/4 wide open traveling with a game plan going on in his head. Not the ones flying to it and once they get there say ik. Now what? But i could be wrong. Been wrong many times before

Dalton that road runner you feeding cant run that fast down the road. you better punch (start a new hunt) on that gps or have it checked out.