​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

MASTERFOX
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Broke dog hunt wondering

Was wondering if anyone would be willing to try a broke dog hunt down our way in the south I know thy have had some in the Carolina's. We call these hunts fox hunts now a days but most of the running is on deer and dogs win these hunts by running deer. I know this would not be to popular to a bunch of hunters because they hunt their dogs in the pen and go to the outside and run what ever theyjump and that's fine. I know there are hunters like me that would love to go to a outside hunt and turn our dogs loose knowing that dogs there are going to hunt a fox or coyote. I can remember when we use to go to hunts and pull up to a bunch of hunters parked on the side of the road all gathered up watching a pack of hounds pulling the hair out of a gray that was fun times. I know it can still be because I do it about 2 times a week. Just wanted to see what y'all thoughts would be on this

Re: Broke dog hunt wondering

sounds real good to me ! where do you think a hunt like this would take place if its somewhere around south ga i got a few i might put in it

I know of some places in ala and fla that we could put something together maybe

PUT ME ON THE INVITE LIST IF YOU HAVE ONE. WOULD DRIVE ANYWHERE TO BE IN THE COMPANY OF FOXHUNTERS AND FOXHOUNDS.

I have thought of it here in central fl. Have the perfect place to run it. But would not work at all with any amount of deer running. How many people would travel down here? Not many broke dog hunters around these parts anymore.

Jay, I have wanted to have one at Blue Spring and I even talked to Alvin Barrow a little about having a broke dog National field trial but the thing is I don't know if there are enough "local" folks to support it. It would require most of the hunters to drive from the East Coast to get enough hounds to have a real hunt. The Masters added rules several years ago to hold a hunt where you scratch for running deer which is essentially what you need to have a broke dog hunt. There have been 2 or 3 hunts that used the rule that allows scoring on deer but none have used the deer scratching rule. I would love to have a 3 day hunt and be able to award a CH to a true old fashioned foxhound and I think it can be done. My only hesitation has been about whether you could get 50 hounds to show up and enter. We have a place to hold it on Blue Spring WMA from September 1 thru October 14 or on the rest of the National Forest most any time outside of deer and turkey season. We have had some naturally deer proof hounds before by accident but right now I think everything I have would prefer to run a deer. I know the August gyp prefers them because they don't turn as much and she doesn't like to turn when she runs.
A one day hunt would be really easy to put together and even if you could only get 20 or 30 hounds together it would still be fun to watch and I bet we could get some spectators to come out and participate even if they don't have any broke hounds to enter.

Yes I have been thinking about this a long time. I know there r a lot of fox and cat hunters in ga and a lot of coyote hunters in mis. We might not get that mini dogs to start with but I think It would get more popular. I have spoke to mr Moose with show time witch he is a outside hunter said thy would support it Claude Hinton from Mississippi would also.

Ready to let's get it done nothing like hearing a pack of fox hounds in full cry I will give you a call today jay.

Heath give me a call when u can 251-802-8914

Btt

question abt the hunt! in a hunt like this will a dog be scratched for refusing to run a coyote? my hounds dont run coyotes only grey fox and bobcats ! alot of us over here that hunts outside dont run coyotes on the east coast that is

Bryan if you will call me or leave number and I will call you mine is 6019641976 thanks

Brian, it wouldn't be necessary to scratch the hound unless it refused to go on and hunt for something else. I haven't really seen a lot of hounds getting scratched for Failing to Hark lately. As long as it isn't Loafing I think it would be acceptable. I know some hounds are trained to come to the truck when a deer is jumped or either they just learn to come check with their owner so they don't get shocked. That kind of thing would have to be expected and I would only allow a hound to be scratched if it refused to recast.

mine will definatly hunt the truck and will get on it and under it and wont honer what tricked them until they know after many months of hunting ! that its right! hounds aint stupid

We would have to think about this because a lot of hunters in Ga hounds r broke off coyotes so my thinking is if a pack of hound r running a coyote and there broke dogs r checking them and coming out you would be able to relocate them. But the good thing is most of the coyote dogs will run a fox so I think we can work it out to accommodate both type of hunt

Here in the ocala national forest would be a great test for who has a true broke hound. Plenty of ppl come from out of town n say they have em. But they always seem to have deer dogs when they leave. We have plenty of fox and yoyes. More fox than yotes. But more than each is deer. Bring your hounds n see whatcha got.

I say you take em to the east side of 19 where there are piles of deer and open woods to really watch a hound work and of course more than enough fox !

Yes! See what a real broke dog can do. The scrub is the true test

Test a nose in the sand and check his speed in the rolling pines.

We went down to the apalachicola national forest earlier this year to run and thy have a really nice place to run and a lot of fox. The only bad thing was the weather was awful but we stayed and kenneled at the sand sifter fox pen might be something to think about also

Hold it at camp shelby. Perry county ms. 36,000,00 acres of open woods. Fox an coyotes!!!!!

Ocala ntl forest is 386 thousand acres

always heard the ocala forest was loaded with fox several people that are deer hunters hunt the scrubthey said cant run deer for running fox said its loaded they come here to deer hunt in south ga ! i wanted to go to the uso coupla years ago down there but didnt know how they would treat a dog for not running a coyote so just stayed home ! as for deer aint woried abt a deer race hunt thru deer season had a many of r races come by my hounds with me road hunting them and wont even go to them . i believe a dog cries deer when he running 1 and cries fox when he running 1 hounds aint stupid

Brian I believe you are right. A dog knows the difference

owned to many seen it many many times ! i have had a deer race outside my window from dogs left out at night and mine wont go to them, and a buddy of mine charles smith can strike on the otherside the block and mine will pour to them i do belive they cry fox or whatever they are running most every outside fox hunter that has truly broke dogs has seen this

and the reason why i say this is cause there mouths change from the different game they run, fox versus wildcat , the mouths change, fox race is rich, but a cat race is alot different they will naturaly holler when running a cat, i have often said a person thats never heard a cat race has never heard hounds truly run, it is a very rich race with every kind of sound coming from a hounds mouth that he is capable of making, i personally like both but a cat race to me is the ultimate race, if they can stay under him