​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

MASTERFOX
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hunters Horn

Is the hound on the front of the Horn a july?

Re: Hunters Horn

yes sir, Chase reg. July too!!

Where did the color come from?

That looks and color come from a Walker hound(s) that is in this July's gene pool.

Ain't no July (full blooded July) ever looked that good.

I mean really, July Chase Reg or not, there is a Walker hound(s) in the gene pool somewhere>>>>>>>>>>>. Come on folks.

I agree. That full blood July has some Walker traits coming out. Lol

Some of y'all need to study foxhound history. The early July hounds and the Walkers were all breed in to the same "native" stock of hounds that existed in America over 100 years before either Walkers or Julys were known. You can look at pictures of hounds from 1900 on and there have always been Walker hounds that looked like Julys and there have always been Julys that looked like Walkers.

As for Chase registrations, if you had the money to give them during the last year or so you could register any "foxhound" you wanted as long as you could fill out a 5 generation pedigree. The Chase essentially became an Open registry which destroyed the integrity of the stud book that the founders envisioned. Any time the money gets short then the integrity goes out the window.

Integrity - the quality of being honest and having strong morale principles standing up for what you believe.... I am **** sure no July man nor am I a chase or horn man but do believe that every dog should be treated equal the best dog I ever owned was a grade beagle and I could never gt her akc registered but my point is that you can't take away the privilege of having registered hounds bc of how ppl thought 100 years ago alot have things have changed between now and then like losing papers ,records , and even the way we breed our hounds! One of the best hunters around my neck of the woods asked me if I knew what the reason they started field trialing was I answered with a obvious see who had the best hound he told me no more than just one hound but the best breeding programs so in my eyes if BUTLERS BIG THUNDER can produce hounds to compete with the HELLUMS WHITE DOGS ,THE J&R CJ , THE CLOWN , THE LIQUOR, and all the other great breeding programs I'm missing why should the JULY dogs be left out INTEGRITY think about it if someone beats me I will stand up shake his hand and congratulate him basically ur INTEGRITY consist of wanting the chase to ignore the fact that breeding has changed and always will change so in order to recognize competition they have to open registration to all of the possible hounds that can be sanction

I believe in an open registry. If there is a dog that is 1/4 German Shepard and 1/4 poodle that is a better foxhound than the pure bred hounds then we all should consider breeding it in to the rest of the stock. I especially believe in being honest with the breeding and not lieing to get a dog registered. What I don't like is an organization that holds to one set of principles when the economy is good and then looses those principles when their finances can't support them. I guess some businesses have only one principle and that is the want of money.

u hav more friends if u stop bashin chase. i stopt get n horn caus u chase bashers .take them ch of ur papers if u dnt like the program. i bet chase remove for u and send u a copy without ch on em.

MR NOTES IF YOU ARE QUESTIONING THE COLOR ON THIS JULY HOUND THEN I GUESS YOU ARE ALSO QUESTIONING THE COLOR ON THE RED FLAG TAILED AND SILVER GRAY BACKED WALKER HOUNDS ALSO...AS FAR AS THE CHASE I SUPPORT THE ONES THAT SUPPORT ME AND THE ONLY WAY THE CHASE SUPPORTS ME IS AT MY EXPENCE AND IT SEEMS LIKE THAT RATE IS TRIPLE....SOME PEOPLE BIELEVE IN THE CHASE THATS FINE BUT I DO NOT...

Mr Howell,
I'd like to say that that I've only met you once. That was recently at the outside hunt you put on. Before I begin I want you to know I'm not trying to "bash" you in any way. I'm just stating the obvious and hopefully giving you some constructive criticism.
I monitor this board pretty close but I seldom post on it for several reasons. I read most of the posts that I see and for the past few years I've seen several from you about this and that mainly on masters related things, drug test, results, updates, rules, etc and I've agreed with a lot of your opinions and thoughts you have posted. Up until the dual outside hunt this is all I knew about you. I was very much excited to come to the hunt as was everyone else that I knew that was planning on going. Mainly due to the different "out of the norm" hunt you advertised it to be. I knew what it would take to pull off this type hunt and I commend you for your efforts. It had potential to be great but when I arrived and throughout that hunt I realized something. I should have waited and went to the southern states the following week. I'm not going into details, but I will say I did not meet a hunter there that wasn't just flat out disappointed in the overall leadership and organization of everything. Great running and fellowship. Fine running grounds and kennels. That being said I've read your posts on this board since the dual hunt and had many mixed feelings and thoughts about them, but what it all boils down to is just simple lack of experience and not enough woods and too much computer. I don't expect you to listen to my suggestions but ill post anyway. 1st take the computer you are reading this on and chunk it in the pen with some 4 to 6 month old pups. Go get you a cb radio or VHF and install it in your truck you hunt in. Call a couple friends to go with you and go cast your entire pack in the very spot we cast during that hunt. When they jump get you a few crossings and see what game they are running (CBs help with this.) You can start to determine what dog prefers what game then and continue this til you get the pen funk out of them then pick you a few outside national hunts, a few fun 1 day outside hunts, and some outside master hunts and some natoinal pen hunts and go hunting without that computer and get some hands on experience in the all around fox hunting world. Not just the local hunts and the big masters pen hunts in which I'm sure you are up to date. go to some national business meetings before you bash the chase. Gain some respect from your fellow hunters. Going hunting near and far with different people is the only way to accomplish this. Masterfox is doing you no good. Im sure you might take this wrong but I will let you know this is a 1 time post. Not a continuing argument.

Seymour this thread was about Julys being accused of having a cross of Walker in them and also it was about the merits of a "closed" stud book opening their registration to any foxhound even if the breeding can only be traced back 5 generations.

You took it way off that subject. If you wanted to just bash me you should have started another post.
Whether or not you respect me means very little. I just have never cared what other folks thought of me, good or bad. I have only been hunting all my life with one of the best houndsmen and all around humans ever born (my daddy). And I have had and still have lots of good houndsmen that I learn from.

My opinions don't mean anything. If they bother you just ignore them.

I don't field trial like most of you. I just have mostly grade dogs and I just enjoy hearing a pack in full cry on a fox from time to time. Never recall meeting a Mr. Howell or Mr. Seymour around my fire barrel. Pardon the mister but as I said in my 70 years Idon't recall ever meeting or knowing either of you and I was raised in an old school way in a different era. We said mister to those older than us and a mans word meant something. But I do enjoy getting on this site and reading some of the things posted every now and again. Mr. Howell I've looked at your comments and it seems to me that your a sharp fellow but you seem green so to speak in the way you present some of your comments. I think some of your ideas have a good point. But I think you have a Democratic way of going about things. I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers but there is a reason the good Lord gave us 2 eyes, 2 ears and 1 mouth. My daddy wasnt a very good houndsman but he always said something that I will never forget. Always take any compliments you get to heart and any crisism you get in stride trying to make improvements.