​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

MASTERFOX
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AL State / Conecuh Report & Pictures

The Alabama State and Conecuh Foxhunters Associations held a joint field trial on May 1-4, 2013 at the Conecuh National Forest in Covington and Escambia Counties, Alabama. Paul Tribble graciously allowed us to use the Carolina Running Pen as the headquarters for the hunt and Mrs. Sylvia Tribble provided delicious home cooked meals for the judges.
This field trial is something I have been working towards having for several years. After the Blue Spring hunt last Fall I wanted to keep expanding the field trial opportunities in the wild in Alabama and keep adding new land where a foxhound field trial has been proven possible.

This field trial turned out to be unique in a number of ways and there were quite a few things we did that I am proud of. First and foremost we did something that I have never been able to do before which is to pay back greater than 100% of the entry fees in cash and prizes. Adding up all the cash prize money and the value of the dog feed and other prizes that were given away at this hunt the total reaches over $5500. We only took in $5470 in entry fees so you see how amazing it was to be able to give back as much as we did. We owe a big thank you to JR Edwards for getting some feed donated from Ruff and Tuff and Specialty Feeds to go along with what I got from Showtime and Purina and of course we thank those 4 companies for supporting us with their generous donations. Also, thanks to Custom Collars for their donations and their support. We were able to give back so much partly due to a sizable donation from a couple of hounds who won some prize money at the Alabama State 8-hour hunt which was held a few weeks before our 3-day. The hounds Ch J’s Sir Bill H and his daughter August Moon placed 1st and 3rd at the 8-hour and won $800. Some folks did not like them collecting that prize money so I donated their $800 winnings back to the Alabama State FHA to use to offset expenses. Money never has meant a lot to me and I’ve heard it is the root of all kinds of evil so I try to get rid of it as quickly as I can whenever I come in to it.

In putting this hunt together I knew we would need lots of judges to cover the forest and put up a good scoreboard. I employed the help of a few folks who could get me some names and contact info for potential judges. I asked folks in MS and Central FL to send me some info and I asked Lauren Coogle and Brenda Turner to help me too. Thank you Lauren and Brenda for getting me those lists of judges from this area. I stopped counting after I invited the 75th person from the 10th state to come help judge. I got a lot of No’s and a lot of Maybe’s and a frightening number of yes’s. It was frightening since these associations both had a zero balance on the bank book so if everybody came who said they would come I might have been begging for donations to cover judges expenses. By the time the hunt started drawing near I had multiple judges coming from NC, GA, FL, AL, and MS who would have considerable fuel expenses in getting to the hunt and I also had 12-15 local judges who I was expecting to show up. I had also lined up 2 great Masters of Hounds to help us. Unfortunately, life happens and some of the judges and the Masters of Hounds had to cancel due to various circumstances outside their control. After this happened I called 3 more respected men to see if they could fill in as Master of Hounds but none of them could do it on such short notice. This left me with the burden of mastering two hunts and I have never been a Master of Hounds nor have I ever wanted to be one. I don’t like dealing with the administrative parts of judging a hunt. I like being a field judge and I can run a computer. Everything else that goes with mastering a hunt is a miserable job and makes me an unhappy boy. But, sometimes we all have to do the unhappy jobs so I did what I had to do and now I can say I mastered a hunt. My having to take over the responsibilities of the mastering the hunt left us with no hunt officers on hand to take care of the organizational side of the hunt. I’m a perfectionist and I like for everything to run smoothly but one man can only do so much so I took to heart some advise a wise man told me one time. Sometimes you just have to let the rough side drag. We only had a few judges that actually showed up but the ones that did show up worked extremely hard to get scores and I’m proud of what they were able to do. I personally endured quite a bit of hardship during the week, twisting my ankle, nearly tearing up the 4-wheel drive on my truck, and pouring every penny I had available into the hunt to try to make it as enjoyable for everyone else as I could. After putting so much into this hunt and hearing all the complaining from a few of the hunters I really began to question why a man would volunteer to judge a hunt or put one on. It truly doesn’t make sense to subject yourself to the criticism of the vocal few who won’t be happy until they discourage all the judges and all the volunteers from participating. If a fella wants to be belittled and berated there are easier places to find that punishment than at a field trial.

I am disappointed in the attitudes of some of the hunters who attended. They must lead very blessed lives or be completely spoiled to not be able to understand that sometimes in life things don’t turn out exactly the way you would have wanted. To have grown men whine and complain the way some did at this hunt is a little troublesome. Some members of the foxhunting community need to learn to put a smile on their faces and roll with the punches a little bit. We all come together to try to have a good time. Whether or not you have a good time is something you can decide at the house before you come to a hunt. It has everything to do with attitude and nothing to do with circumstances. If you are going to be sour and bitter and bad-mouth and tear down folks who are trying to build up this sport then please don’t go to a field trial. You are bringing the rest of us down with your negativity and this sport really can’t afford to be carrying you right now. I really do appreciate everyone who did have a good time and everyone who found something to enjoy and celebrate about this hunt. A lot of things went really well. We had amazing running and did not get into trouble with the law or really upset any of the local landowners. We had a great bench show and some great food. We had tons of prizes which were awarded to some really great hounds for some really good work in the field. Everybody’s hounds didn’t get covered the way they needed to be covered but the winners at this hunt were all well deserving.

Bench Show

Derby Males
1. 5 Freeman’s Macon (Ch Freeman’s Red Rock – Macon’s Crystal) Topflite Kennels
2. 177 Allentown Cutler (Ch Telogia Creek Redneck – Morris’s Misty) Allentown Kennels
3. 12 Bullard’s Little Red (Bullard’s Red Man – Rose Creek PJ) Paul Bullard
4. 167 Barnhill’s Poe (Freeman’s Red Rock – Philpot’s Bessie Mae) Jessie & Jason Barnhill
5. 19 Down Home Dakota (Thompson’s Pinkie – Rachael’s Girl Scout) Down Home Kennels
6. 7 Freeman’s Yella (Ch Freeman’s Red Rock – Philpot’s Bessie Mae) Topflite Kennels
7. 21 Bullard’s Tank (Bullard’s Big Red – Spradley’s Missy) Paul Bullard
8. 173 Allentown Bud Man Ch Telogia Creek Redneck – Morris’s Misty) Allentown Kennels
9. 1 Down Home Smiley (Caylor’s Hollywood – William’s Cyclone) Down Home Kennels

Derby Females
1. 14 May (F Ch Seymour’s Lil Rally – Hayne’s Hoppie) Jase Gatwood
2. 11 Bowen’s Kurl (Ch Killam Hills Kracker – Mare Branch Dipstick) Jerry Bowen
3. 20 Freeman’s Music (Ch Freeman’s Red Rock – Craig’s Tiny) Topflite Kennels
4. 39 Radar’s Tylenol (Floyd’s Red – Myer’s Misty) Radar
5. 40 Bullard & Rentz’s Brownie (Ch RD’s Jessie James – Rentz’s June) Paul Bullard
6. 165 Barnhill’s Rema (Hardy’s Marbles – Gunstock Tiny) Jessie & Jason Barnhill

All Age Males
1. 131 Jessie’s Eddie Joe Smith (Spire’s Billy Bob – Quave’s BB) 2 Smith & Quave Kennels
2. 671 Freeman’s Rowdy (Freeman’s Red Bud – Gunstock Tiny) Topflite Kennels
3. 411 Radar’s Ragweed (Ch Freeman’s Red Rock – Fatboy’s Highstrung Blade) Radar
4. 812 Freeman’s Chopper (Ch Freeman’s Red Rock – Freeman’s Mary Lou) Topflite Kennels
5. 690 Freeman’s Ready Roll (Ch Freeman’s Red Rock – Craig’s Tiny) Topflite Kennels
6. 110 MS St (f) Ch Jessie’s One Chance Smith (Spire’s Billy Bob – Briar’s Reba Smith) 2 Smith & Quave Kennels
7. 90 Dubose’s Rex (Smith’s General Jackson – Dubose’s Happy) Dubose Kennel
8. 318 Down Home Rocket (Phillips Lopper – Down Home Ginger) Down Home Kennels
9. 67 Lynn’s Bodacious (Ch D&S Doc – DL&R Sassy) Baldwin Bay Kennels
10. 99 Bullard’s Ned (Bullard’s Big Boy – Spradley’s Crockett) Paul Bullard

All Age Females
1. 80 Keesha (Canoy’s Clay Liqour – Nash’s PJ) Jase Gatwood
2. 881 Ch SS Gold (Ch Aderholt’s Mouth – S&W Dixie) Sky Scott Kennels
3. 71 Barnhill’s Lollipop (O’Bryan’s K-Bar – Fatboy’s Poptart) Jessie & Jason Barnhill
4. 470 Radar’s Oryps (Coleman’s Doc Holiday – Telogia Creek Spyro) Radar
5. 334 Cowgirl’s Karma (Jimmy’s Ringo B – Shongalo Freckles) CowGirl Kennels
6. 81 Lynn’s Wendy (Ch Hoehner’s Get-R-On – Ch Mcloed’s Bailey) Baldwin Bay Kennels
7. 718 Barnhill’s Biscuit (Jessie’s Storm – Allentown Four) Jessie & Jason Barnhill
8. 82 Dubose’s Becky (Dubose’s Rojo – Dubose’s Foxy) Dubose Kennel
9. 88 Dubose’s Best One (Dubose’s Blaze – Dubose’s Edna) Dubose Kennel
10. 61 Barnhill’s Gumdrop (O’Bryan’s K-Bar – Fatboy’s Poptart) Jessie & Jason Barnhill

BIS - 131 Jessie’s Eddie Joe Smith (Spire’s Billy Bob – Quave’s BB) 2 Smith & Quave Kennels

BOS - 80 Keesha (Canoy’s Clay Liqour – Nash’s PJ) Jase Gatwood

Alabama State (National)
Derby HGA

1. 7 Freeman's Yella (Ch Freeman's Red Rock X Philpot's Betsy Mae), Topflite Kennels, All Over, AL & NW FL
2. 18 Lamey's Midnite (Lamey's Boxcar X Lamey's Julie), Dennis Lamey, Lattimer, MS
3. 9 Sara (Canoy's Matt Liquor X Jackie's Sara), Jase Gatwood, Wiggins, MS
4. 19 Down Home Dakota (Thompson's Pinkie X Rachal's Girl Scout), Down Home Kennels, Jay & Milton, FL
5. 47 Jesse's Sarah Smith (Spire's Billy Bob X Quave's Lady Liqour), 2 Smith & Quave Kennels, Poplarville, MS
6. 12 Bullard's Little Red (Bullard's Red Man X Rose Creek P.J.), Paul Bullard, Lake City, FL
7. 211 Ugly Sue (Chopper X Dana), Runnin Wild Kennels
8. 1 Down Home Smiley (Caylor's Hollywood X Williams Cyclone), Down Home Kennels, Jay & Milton, FL
9. 20 Freeman's Music (Freeman's Red Rock X Craig's Tiny), Top Flite Kennels, All Over, AL & NW FL
10. 150 Bowen’s Jackson (Floyd’s Spanky X Floyd’s Pepper), Jerry Bowen, Frisco City, AL

Combination:
Freeman's Yella (Ch Freeman's Red Rock X Philpot's Betsy Mae), Topflite Kennels, All Over, AL & NW FL

Classy Hound:
Bowen’s Jackson (Floyd’s Spanky X Floyd’s Pepper), Jerry Bowen, Frisco City, AL

Best Mouth:
Lamey's Midnite (Lamey's Boxcar X Lamey's Julie), Dennis Lamey, Lattimer, MS

Conecuh FHA (Masters)
Derby HGA

1. 7 Freeman's Yella (Ch Freeman's Red Rock X Philpot's Betsy Mae), Topflite Kennels, All Over, AL & NW FL
2. 9 Sara (Canoy's Matt Liquor X Jackie's Sara), Jase Gatwood, Wiggins, MS
3. 18 Lamey's Midnite (Lamey's Boxcar X Lamey's Julie), Dennis Lamey, Lattimer, MS
4. 20 Freeman's Music (Freeman's Red Rock X Craig's Tiny), Top Flite Kennels, All Over, AL & NW FL
5. 47 Jesse's Sarah Smith (Spire's Billy Bob X Quave's Lady Liqour), 2 Smith & Quave Kennels, Poplarville, MS
6. 5 Freeman's Macon (Ch Freeman's Red Rock X Macon's Crystal), Topflite Kennels, All Over, AL & NW FL
7. 211Ugly Sue (Chopper X Dana), Runnin Wild Kennels
8. 210 Hammer (Chopper X Dana), Runnin Wild Kennels
9. 21 Bullard's Tank (Bullard's Big Red X Spradley's Missy), Paul Bullard, Lake City, FL
10. 19 Down Home Dakota (Thompson's Pinkie X Rachal's Girl Scout), Down Home Kennels, Jay & Milton, FL

Combination:
Freeman's Yella (Ch Freeman's Red Rock X Philpot's Betsy Mae), Topflite Kennels, All Over, AL & NW FL

Classy Hound:
Bowen’s Jackson (Floyd’s Spanky X Floyd’s Pepper), Jerry Bowen, Frisco City, AL

Best Mouth:
Lamey's Midnite (Lamey's Boxcar X Lamey's Julie), Dennis Lamey, Lattimer, MS

Alabama State (National)
All Age HGA

1. 690 Freeman's Ready Roll (Ch Freeman's Red Rock X Craig's Tiny), Topflite Kennels, All Over, AL & NW FL
2. 80 Keesha (Canoy's Clay Liquor X Nash's PJ), Jase Gatwood, Wiggins, MS
3. 51 Barnhill's Sara (O'Bryan's K-Bar X Fatboy's Poptart), Jessie & Jason Barnhill, Milton, FL
4. 671 Freeman's Rowdy (Freeman's Red Bud X Gunstock Tiny), Topflite Kennels, All Over, AL
5. 81 Lynn’s Wendy (Ch Hoehner’s Get-R-On X Ch McLeod’s Bailey), Balwin Bay Kennels, Baldwin, FL
6. 699 Jessie's Pete Smith (Spires' Billy Bob X Briar's Reba Smith), 2 Smith & Quave Kennels, Poplarville, MS
7. 695 Freeman's Chomper (Freeman's Red Rock Freeman's Tootsie), Topflite Kennels, All Over, AL
8. 88 Dubose’s Best One (Dubose’s Blaze X Dubose’s Edna), Dubose Kennels
9. 55 Hope C.D. (Ch Triple J Black X Clint's Katrina), Seymour & Henson, Latimer, MS
10. 139 Cook's Cheryl (Rowdy Janie X Dottie Janney), Rex Cook & Bobby Green, Umatilla, FL

Dual Champion
Keesha (Canoy's Clay Liquor X Nash's PJ), Jase Gatwood, Wiggins, MS

Combination winner:
Freeman's Ready Roll (Ch Freeman's Red Rock X Craig's Tiny), Topflite Kennels, All Over, AL & NW FL

Classy Hound:
Barnhill's Sara (O'Bryan's K-Bar X Fatboy's Poptart), Jessie &Jason Barnhill, Milton, FL

Best Mouth:
Bullard's P Ditty (Ed’s Petie X Ed’s Viper), Paul Bullard, Lake City, FL

Conecuh FHA (Masters)
All Age HGA

1. 690 Freeman's Ready Roll (Ch Freeman's Red Rock X Craig's Tiny), Topflite Kennels, All Over, AL & NW FL
2. 80 Keesha (Canoy's Clay Liquor X Nash's PJ), Jase Gatwood, Wiggins, MS
3. 671 Freeman's Rowdy (Freeman's Red Bud X Gunstock Tiny), Topflite Kennels, All Over, AL
4. 51 Barnhill's Sara (O'Bryan's K-Bar X Fatboy's Poptart), Jessie & Jason Barnhill, Milton, FL
5. 695 Freeman's Chomper (Freeman's Red Rock Freeman's Tootsie), Topflite Kennels, All Over, AL
6. 87 Jessie's Rose Smith (Spires' Billy Bob X Briar's Reba Smith), 2 Smith & Quave Kennels, Poplarville, MS
7. 699 Jessie's Pete Smith (Spires' Billy Bob X Briar's Reba Smith), 2 Smith & Quave Kennels, Poplarville, MS
8. 131 Jessie's Eddie Joe Smith (Spires' Billy Bob X Quaves BB), 2 Smith & Quave Kennels, Poplarville, MS
9. 334 Cowgirls Karma (Jimmy's Ringo B X Shongalo Freckles), Cowgirl Kennels, Umatilla, FL
10. 55 Hope C.D. (Ch Triple J Black X Clint's Katrina), Seymour & Henson, Latimer, MS

Dual Champion and Combination winner:
Keesha (Canoy's Clay Liquor X Nash's PJ), Jase Gatwood, Wiggins, MS

Classy Hound:
Barnhill's Sara (O'Bryan's K-Bar X Fatboy's Poptart), Jessie &Jason Barnhill, Milton, FL

Best Mouth:
Bullard's P Ditty (Ed’s Petie X Ed’s Viper), Paul Bullard, Lake City, FL

Anybody who didn't have pictures taken of the hounds they placed, send me a picture to howel042@gmail.com and I'll send it to the magazines.

Re: AL State / Conecuh Report & Pictures

Heath you did an awesome job with that hunt. I really enjoyed every minute of it and plan to come back to any hunt you have. And I can not thank you enough for everything you did for the fox hunting community

Re: AL State / Conecuh Report & Pictures

It is hard enuff to put on a hunt with a board of directors it has to be a major feat to put on 2 at the same time with only a couple people!! More judges would have been great but it was still a fun hunt and glad I got to be a part of it and some amazing dogs placed. Lord willing I will attend the Blue Spring hunt and these 2 next yr! Keep it up Heath it'll get better now you kno what to do different so keep up the good fight my friend!!! Lemme kno if I can help!