BIG BASS Forum

This Forum or Message Board should be of interest to all Bass anglers, especially those based or fishing in South Africa. Please let's try to keep things polite and orderly whilst sharing Bass fishing information, ideas, experiences and reports which would be of interest or inspiration to others. Questions are most welcome and anyone may post answers or responses. To see your message after you have posted it, just click on the "Refresh" button on your browser. Let's make this Forum work for us!

BIG BASS Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: So, how about "organizing" some "Floridas" ...

Just returned from Jozini - 5 Days fishing.

We caught & released couple of dozen small tigers with the biggest at 2.5 kg.

This bug has however not bitten me - I am in serious need of a good "Bass Fix".

The only way that we could get bites (after much struggle) was to heed local advice and fish with live tilapia, the small ones chased spinners and cranks but we battled to get hook ups. It was, however, usefull to use bass techniques to locate the fish. My son took the first tiger of the trip on a buzz bait of all things. We decided to preserve our plastics as the live bait worked better & in fact worked out a lot cheaper. (Have you seen how quickly flukes and cranks get ripped apart by these buggers!)

By the way guys, check your wheel bearings every month! The ol' "sloboat" got left behind in Pongola at the towtruck yard today after a trailer wheel bearing siezed @ 120 km/h. The wheel, c/w brake drums, calipers etc got ripped off & the axle ground off square. The sparks given off by the axle & Brake back plate dragging down the road set off a veld fire which I had to put out. We could not find the wheel after a 1 hour search! (I put on new bearings in December and re-packed the grease in January)

Tight Lines - Smokin Drags

Steve

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

... for Jozini?

That would be a worthwhile project if you live in the area and can possibly co-ordinate with local Bass clubs there. Or just do it yourself! See the link above on where to get Florida Bass fingerlings ...

Replying to:

Hi Jacques,

Yes, I am quite a keen bass fisherman, but I have spoken to a few guys re Jozini and from what I hear, there are no bass there. Only tigerfish, tilapia and barbel.

Replying to:

If so, please help Monty with his question!

Nice to have you on board, Monty! Seeing that you visited this site, you probably fish for Bass as well.

Do you (or anyone else, for that matter) know if Jozini Dam has Bass? Seems like an ideal location for the Florida strain!

Replying to:

Does anyone have any info on Jozini Dam re: tigerfishing?

Things like baits/lures, best spots etc.