BIG BASS Forum

This Forum or Message Board should be of interest to all Bass anglers, especially those based or fishing in South Africa. Please let's try to keep things polite and orderly whilst sharing Bass fishing information, ideas, experiences and reports which would be of interest or inspiration to others. Questions are most welcome and anyone may post answers or responses. To see your message after you have posted it, just click on the "Refresh" button on your browser. Let's make this Forum work for us!

BIG BASS Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A quick way to identify Florida strain Bass fingerlings ...

... without genetic testing!

I thought visitors to the BIG BASS Forum may be interested in this snippet of info. Sometime ago I asked a question on the www.pondboss.com

website and received an interesting answer. The guys at Pondboss (Bob Lusk and Mark Mc Donald) are most knowledgeable and trustworthy. These guys have years of experience with Bass and breed both the Florida and Northern strains at their Texoma hatchery. Here is my Question and Bob Lusk's response:

"Question:

I noticed that all the Largemouth Bass fingerlings I obtained some time ago have what seems like a thinnish, but very noticeable black line or "trim" on the outer edge of their tail fins. This is and has been visible on all the fingerlings which range from about 2" - 6" in length. These Bass also have a very dark dorsal area. The dark backs (almost black) and the distinct tailfin "trim" are very visible when viewing the fingerlings in the water. These fingerlings were said to be Florida strain. [For your info, obtained from Pieter Lombard in the Eastern Free State]

Largemouth Bass fingerlings (no convincing claims made about these) acquired from another hatchery on an earlier occasion [for your info, obtained from Casper Kruger, Hartbeespoort] had a lighter dorsal area and definitely no black tailfin "trim". The tail fins were almost transparent in fingerlings of 2" - 4" in length.

In relation to other bass fingerlings of different sizes (from 2" - 6") and some subadult fish of 10" - 12" I noticed and carefully watched in the relatively clear waters of a quarry in our area (Mafikeng) that most fingerlings did not have the black tailfin "trim". Bass from various sources have found their way into this quarry ...

Any comments on the black tailfin "trim"? Is it just a natural colour variation or can more significance be attached to it (possibly Florida strain genes?)

Answer:

That thin line is absolutely characteristic of Florida bass. [Good news and my gut-feeling confirmed!] Biologists are careful not to come to the conclusion that all bass with thin black lines are Florida strain, but it certainly is a characteristic.

Another characteristic of Florida strain bass is dark mottling dorsally. Looks like camo. Do people wear camo in S. Africa?

Very likely...you at least have diversity of your bass gene pool. And that's good.".

Food for thought and, possibly a quick way to check if those fingerlings have Florida strain genes!

Re: A quick way to identify Florida strain Bass fingerlings ...

Jacques, I saw that one on their site too. Very interesting description of the markings. However, if you notice that the different habitats that a bass will come from will very the darkness of their colors. For instance one caught in clear water in the weeds will have very dark distinctive marks, and one caught in murky sandy bottom will have very light markings. I wish there was a better way to tell the difference in the two. Don't you? P.S. Bob and Mark are very knowledgable and I learn quite a bit from them.

Good Fishing to ya

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I thought visitors to the BIG BASS Forum may be interested in this snippet of info. Sometime ago I asked a question on the www.pondboss.com

website and received an interesting answer. The guys at Pondboss (Bob Lusk and Mark Mc Donald) are most knowledgeable and trustworthy. These guys have years of experience with Bass and breed both the Florida and Northern strains at their Texoma hatchery. Here is my Question and Bob Lusk's response:

"Question:

I noticed that all the Largemouth Bass fingerlings I obtained some time ago have what seems like a thinnish, but very noticeable black line or "trim" on the outer edge of their tail fins. This is and has been visible on all the fingerlings which range from about 2" - 6" in length. These Bass also have a very dark dorsal area. The dark backs (almost black) and the distinct tailfin "trim" are very visible when viewing the fingerlings in the water. These fingerlings were said to be Florida strain. [For your info, obtained from Pieter Lombard in the Eastern Free State]

Largemouth Bass fingerlings (no convincing claims made about these) acquired from another hatchery on an earlier occasion [for your info, obtained from Casper Kruger, Hartbeespoort] had a lighter dorsal area and definitely no black tailfin "trim". The tail fins were almost transparent in fingerlings of 2" - 4" in length.

In relation to other bass fingerlings of different sizes (from 2" - 6") and some subadult fish of 10" - 12" I noticed and carefully watched in the relatively clear waters of a quarry in our area (Mafikeng) that most fingerlings did not have the black tailfin "trim". Bass from various sources have found their way into this quarry ...

Any comments on the black tailfin "trim"? Is it just a natural colour variation or can more significance be attached to it (possibly Florida strain genes?)

Answer:

That thin line is absolutely characteristic of Florida bass. [Good news and my gut-feeling confirmed!] Biologists are careful not to come to the conclusion that all bass with thin black lines are Florida strain, but it certainly is a characteristic.

Another characteristic of Florida strain bass is dark mottling dorsally. Looks like camo. Do people wear camo in S. Africa?

Very likely...you at least have diversity of your bass gene pool. And that's good.".

Food for thought and, possibly a quick way to check if those fingerlings have Florida strain genes!

Re: Re: A quick way to identify Florida strain Bass fingerlings ...

Hi Rick!

Nice to have you stop by on the Big Bass Forum!

"Pondboss" is one of my favourite websites and has a lot of info especially for Bassers like some of us in South Africa who want to establish viable Bass fisheries and introduce the Florida strain to more local waters.

Just for interest's sake, click on the link above and scroll down to Bobby Flaxman's Bass (the third pic from the top of that page). This one is a pure Florida and those markings are present even though the dam where it was taken (Goedertrouw) can be rather murky at times.

Looking forward to have you and other USA Bassers visiting this Forum more regularly! I also hope more South African Bassers make use of the Foprum as its been rather quiet lately! Come on guys, where are you?

Replying to:

Jacques, I saw that one on their site too. Very interesting description of the markings. However, if you notice that the different habitats that a bass will come from will very the darkness of their colors. For instance one caught in clear water in the weeds will have very dark distinctive marks, and one caught in murky sandy bottom will have very light markings. I wish there was a better way to tell the difference in the two. Don't you? P.S. Bob and Mark are very knowledgable and I learn quite a bit from them.

Good Fishing to ya

Replying to:

"Question:

Answer:

Re: Re: Re: A quick way to identify Florida strain Bass fingerlings ...

I don't the markings at all, but rather how well they will show up. If you put a bass in a livewell it will come out darker, if you put one in a white bucket with water for example it will come out lighter. I'm sure those markings are there on each of these bass, but I'm not so sure how well each will show up. That 3rd photo down, looked like the bass had been out of the water for a while, or kept in a holding tank before the photo. The bass will adapt it's color somewhat to it's surroundings.

Jacques, I've been stopping by and checking the posts, but haven't posted myself for a while. I'll keep checking in.

take care and Good Fishing to ya

Replying to:

Hi Rick!

Nice to have you stop by on the Big Bass Forum!

"Pondboss" is one of my favourite websites and has a lot of info especially for Bassers like some of us in South Africa who want to establish viable Bass fisheries and introduce the Florida strain to more local waters.

Just for interest's sake, click on the link above and scroll down to Bobby Flaxman's Bass (the third pic from the top of that page). This one is a pure Florida and those markings are present even though the dam where it was taken (Goedertrouw) can be rather murky at times.

Looking forward to have you and other USA Bassers visiting this Forum more regularly! I also hope more South African Bassers make use of the Foprum as its been rather quiet lately! Come on guys, where are you?

Replying to:

Good Fishing to ya

Replying to:

"Question:

Answer: