BIG BASS Forum

This Forum or Message Board should be of interest to all Bass anglers, especially those based or fishing in South Africa. Please let's try to keep things polite and orderly whilst sharing Bass fishing information, ideas, experiences and reports which would be of interest or inspiration to others. Questions are most welcome and anyone may post answers or responses. To see your message after you have posted it, just click on the "Refresh" button on your browser. Let's make this Forum work for us!

BIG BASS Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Impofu + Elandsjagt

Thanks a LOT for the valuable info, Steve !

You now qualify as one of the BIG BASS Forum "regulars"!

Looking forward to your next post ...

Regards,

Jacques

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

FYI - Impofu and Elandsjagt in the Eastern Cape are the same dam between St Francis and Humansdorp on the Kromme River, and used to be known as Charlie Malan. This dam has LARGE Northern Largemouth, particularly in the sections of the dam from the launching site near the water works up to the road bridge. Best spots to fish are in the backwaters of the numerous steep coves that enter the dam at various places which all have steep cliffs/dropoffs. Also in the upper reaches are a few good sized trees( mainly along the eastern bank, and weed beds on the west bank - both obvious spots. I have had a lot of success here with worms fished weightless just above the weed beds - green in watermelon and darker olives are good colours. I know for a fact that a few guys have been introducing small mouth into this dam over the last few years in an effort to counter low water levels that have resulted in much of the largie type structure being exposed and leaving the dam very rocky ito structure - the feeling being that smallies are actually better suited to the typical water conditions of the dam. Personally all strength to them - I feel that both strains of bass are as good as "naturalized" endemic species and should not be considered exotics anymore - just my personal opinion!

Re: Impofu + Elandsjagt

Hi Steve!

Thanks again for your input !

Jacques

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

FYI - Impofu and Elandsjagt in the Eastern Cape are the same dam between St Francis and Humansdorp on the Kromme River, and used to be known as Charlie Malan. This dam has LARGE Northern Largemouth, particularly in the sections of the dam from the launching site near the water works up to the road bridge. Best spots to fish are in the backwaters of the numerous steep coves that enter the dam at various places which all have steep cliffs/dropoffs. Also in the upper reaches are a few good sized trees( mainly along the eastern bank, and weed beds on the west bank - both obvious spots. I have had a lot of success here with worms fished weightless just above the weed beds - green in watermelon and darker olives are good colours. I know for a fact that a few guys have been introducing small mouth into this dam over the last few years in an effort to counter low water levels that have resulted in much of the largie type structure being exposed and leaving the dam very rocky ito structure - the feeling being that smallies are actually better suited to the typical water conditions of the dam. Personally all strength to them - I feel that both strains of bass are as good as "naturalized" endemic species and should not be considered exotics anymore - just my personal opinion!