Geography Site Forum

Welcome to our geography forum. Feel free to post a message, ask a question, or offer an answer to one. It's open to anyone with an interest in geography- so chat away!

Warning I shouldn't have to say it, but any offensive or abusive posts will be removed, and if I deem it necessary the full details will be forwarded to your school, ISP or whomever.

Forum: Geography Site Forum
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
Tahiti highest peak

I have a basic question about the altitude of Tahiti island highest peak (mt. Orohena):
Everywhere it appears as having 2241 mts height (Wikipedia and every map or site I have seen) yet in google topographic map it appears as having only about 1400-1500 mts. Moreover, the highest peak of Tahiti in this map is at a different location on the island and having just about 1600-1700 mts. It is really surprising. I have never seen such large discrepancy in a prominent peak. The contour map of google seems in addition quite reasonable, i.e., 1400 mts at Orohena site does not seem like an error, nor there is any other site on the island capable of reaching heights above 2000 mts.
Many thanks to anyone who can explain such difference.

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Counters & Site Stats   Online Photo Albums   Free Web Tools   Cheap Domains