Geography Site Forum

Welcome to our geography forum. Feel free to post a message, ask a question, or offer an answer to one. It's open to anyone with an interest in geography- so chat away!

Warning I shouldn't have to say it, but any offensive or abusive posts will be removed, and if I deem it necessary the full details will be forwarded to your school, ISP or whomever.

Geography Site Forum
Start a New Topic 
Unknown translation of a geographical or form


What is the proper english term for a very narrow passage that traverses a precipice, a vertical face in the mountains etc. "Very narrow" means 0.4 - 1m wide at the most.

In the Romanian Carpathians (e.g. Bucegi Mountains) there are such passes of natural origin where you traverse a very steep, often vertical, face of the mountain. They are 300-500-2 km m long, at an altitude above 1000 m and with a precipice below them of hundreds of meters. Falling from there would mean certain death. In Romanian they're called "brână (pl. brâne)".

Also, what is the proper term for such a very steep rock precipice/face that is hundreds or even > 1000 m high ? The equivalent common term in german is "Schlucht".


Thank you in advance