Jasmine's Feline Message Forum

Confessions of a Cat Breeder

Following Jasmine's Confessions of a Cat Breeder Following Jasmine's Confessions of a Cat Breeder Following Jasmine's Confessions of a Cat Breeder

We've acquired a great following!

Cat and Kitten Stories

Welcome to Jasmine's Feline Forum

Please feel free to air your kitty problems, ask a question,
or just write about the love you share
with your special feline friend.

Feel free to add your own comments on questions
to help out where you can.

Please note that questions and answers may become part
of our feature articles or stories.

Jasmine's Feline Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: potential bobcat male/domestic cross- approval of breeders for project?

There has never been a documented case of a bobcat being able to breed a domestic and produce offspring.
As a breeder of hybrid cats (Chausies), I would not let my girls go into an attempted breeding program with a Bobcat. However, with enough searching, you can allways find whatever you look for. You might be able to find an unregistered cat with the traits you are looking for.
Good luck.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hi,
I am young but full of plans. I have the idea of getting a male bobcat kitten and a female domestic kitten, raising them together, then hopefully breeding them. I would breed only one or two small litters, keep the kittens, then spay every cat I had. I would not be doing hybrids for money but for the fun of it, and to have some beautiful and interesting cats to love. I want to wait about ten years, to get enough money, facilities and (gulp!) permits to do this.
Of course I would need a permit for the bobcat male and not for the domestic queen or her hybrid offspring. I do not want to use a common cat as the female side of my hybrid cross. Preferrably, the ideal queen would be a large brown tabby Maine Coon of good bloodline, for a variety of different reasons. The large size and bobcatty-looking appearance of Maine Coons would facilitate a natural mating between my queen and the bobcat, and they have a somewhat longer gestation which would ensure that the kittens were not born premature.
But the tricky thing is, if I got breeding rights for the female kitten that I wanted, would the breeder consent to it if he knew that I planned to breed her to a Bobcat, and that complications might be involved? The breeders I've come across are so scruplous with their cats that this dream of mine may never happen.
Don't misunderstand me here. I have a great love of cats and a respect, almost a reverence, for the breeder who cares enough about their kittens to be selective with buyers. But some of the contracts for owning or breeding that I have read are so intricate that they bar any normal, mistake-making mortal from owning or breeding one of their cats! For example, clauses like,
"The cat shall receive frequent and kind human attention. The cat shall receive a monthly veternarity checkup, the cat will not be declawed"...etc etc etc. I am willing to comply to these rules, and I respect the fact that the breeders are protective of their felines, but they are protective to the point of being overprotective, so that a person like me feels intimidiated and frustrated by the nitpicky little details of their law.
Essentially my question is, would a breeder give me the right to breed a female kitten if he knew I was going to breed to a Bobcat?
Thanks.
Mark