Jasmine's Feline Message Forum

Confessions of a Cat Breeder

Following Jasmine's Confessions of a Cat Breeder Following Jasmine's Confessions of a Cat Breeder Following Jasmine's Confessions of a Cat Breeder

We've acquired a great following!

Cat and Kitten Stories

Welcome to Jasmine's Feline Forum

Please feel free to air your kitty problems, ask a question,
or just write about the love you share
with your special feline friend.

Feel free to add your own comments on questions
to help out where you can.

Please note that questions and answers may become part
of our feature articles or stories.

Jasmine's Feline Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Inbreeding

You are correct that feline breeders use the term "Line Breeding", inbreeding is a term associated with canine breeders.

It can be confusing with multiple breeder's jargon used to describe different aspects of a cat's pedigree.

You can refer to the Breeder's Glossary of Confessions of a Cat Breeder to help simplify the language. As an educated breeder working with "Out Cross" breeding pairs I was taught the rule of "Twice in, Once out". We are currently working with additional terminology in the Breeder's Glossary but I am uncertain if all terms are currently present.

An "Out Cross" breeding occurs when a male and female are bred with totally unrelated bloodline pedigrees.

"Twice in, Once out" refers to the procedure of breeding back into your bloodline twice. From an "Out Cross" breeding a daughter may be bred back to her father, this is the only safe genetic pattern and completes the twice into the bloodline. "Once In" is the breeding of the outcross parents. "Twice In" occurs with the breeding of the daughter back to her father. The breeder has then "Bred herself into a Corner" and must seek another male if she wishes to breed a kitten from the father and daughter breeding. Some outstanding kittens have been produced using this method however it must also be noted that any genetic faults are also increased with this breeding practice.

I would be interested in viewing your male's pedigree and would be able to further advise you regarding his line.

I also want to thank you sincerely for contributing to our Feline Forum. We highly value your comments to others using our Forum and encourage anyone with suggestions to any problems submitted to please do the same.

Best Wishes,

Jasmine,

Psychic Feline Behavior Consultant

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hi! I am a happily owned Burmese person. I have two pedigreed Burmese who seem to me to be rather inbred, according to thier official CFA pedigrees. The kitten, Al, has a grandfather who is also his great, great grandfather...three times! I have a four generation pedigree and most of the cats on it are on it twice except for the kitten himself, his mother, his father, and two grandparents. Technically, there is no inbreeding, it's line breeding, and it seems to be done carefully (to my untrained eye). I know just enough about genetics to be nervous about his pedigree and his future health. I am planning on starting a cattery soon (not with him, he is neutered) and I'd like to hear some viewpoints on this subject. I have read a book about breeding cats that says any line- or in-breeding is a big, BIG no-no...but I have heard from breeders that careful linebreeding can be safe. Help me!