Jasmine's Feline Message Forum

Confessions of a Cat Breeder

Following Jasmine's Confessions of a Cat Breeder Following Jasmine's Confessions of a Cat Breeder Following Jasmine's Confessions of a Cat Breeder

We've acquired a great following!

Cat and Kitten Stories

Welcome to Jasmine's Feline Forum

Please feel free to air your kitty problems, ask a question,
or just write about the love you share
with your special feline friend.

Feel free to add your own comments on questions
to help out where you can.

Please note that questions and answers may become part
of our feature articles or stories.

Jasmine's Feline Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Biting

Kittens learn to bite with overly aggressive play. Zoey has learned that the human hand not only pets her in love but also becomes an play object that may be tackled when she has become over stimulated.

Loving cat owners never intend to create this problem. However in homes with older children or husbands/boyfriends, hand play with a growing kitten may become a part of the play ritual. As the kitten grows into a catlet, as in Zoey's case, those once gentle nips now draw blood. Such catlets have excessive energy and now she play battles viewing your hand as her conquest.

Zoey is young and can be trained that her owner's hand is not an attack toy. For the next week I would suggest that you do not even pet her with your hand. There should be no hand play even if she walks all over you requesting this familiar routine. You must substitute your hand for a purchased toy, preferably one with a dangling pole where there are feathers or some cat object of interest. When Zoey wants to play use this toy to physically play with her. During this period of not petting her may I advise that you always speak lovingly to her and provide the occasional treat. In this manner she will know that you still love her but I think it best that her memory of your hand as a combat toy be forgotten and substituted for the toy.

Once she has transferred her aggressive behavior to the toy, within a week, I would gently stroke her during an non-aggressive period in her day. If she starts to bite you must trigger her kitten memory with her mother's form of discipline. Mother cats gently tap their babies on their noses when things get out of control in the nursery. By gently tapping Zoey on the nose with your finger you must then immediately cease petting her by leaving the room. She will soon make the connection that her bitting behavior has become unacceptable.

Please let us know how this method works for you. I have been ill for the last several weeks and have not been able to participate with Consultations in the Feline Forum. Should you have any further questions I promise you a faster response.

Best Wishes,

Jasmine,

Psychic Feline Behavior Consultant

Confessions of a Cat Breeder

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

My cat, Zoey, is about 9 months old. She has always liked to bite when playing, but she bites too hard at times. I don't mind it when she doesn't bite down, but sometimes she's drawn blood. Should I never let her bite me or how do I control this behavior? She is part manx and has a little stumpy tail. I'd appreciate any tips. There are no other pets or children living in the house.