Jasmine's Feline Message Forum

Confessions of a Cat Breeder

Following Jasmine's Confessions of a Cat Breeder Following Jasmine's Confessions of a Cat Breeder Following Jasmine's Confessions of a Cat Breeder

We've acquired a great following!

Cat and Kitten Stories

Welcome to Jasmine's Feline Forum

Please feel free to air your kitty problems, ask a question,
or just write about the love you share
with your special feline friend.

Feel free to add your own comments on questions
to help out where you can.

Please note that questions and answers may become part
of our feature articles or stories.

Jasmine's Feline Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Biting and slapping

He was super nice and relaxed tonite,except when I tried to leave,he lunged at me. I brushed him and brushed him as long as I could--over an hour and it was really nice,but he just kept getting in his "brushing position" all stretched out and wouldn't look at his food or anything--just wanted to be brushed. Before that,I played with him with the broom and he walked around the house a little in between. He looked like he was going to jump on me,again,but I just gently played with him with the broom and then got behind him and picked him up and put him on the washer--he tried to bite me gently a couple times,but I jumped away and tapped him on the nose very lightly with the brush and said" don't bite,Jamie love" So,tonite went real well,but I have the terrible problem with leaving him I understand he doesn't want me to leave and tries to grab me. I wonder if there is some medicine that would calm him down so he could be with me all the time???????????

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Thank you so much for your reply! Jamie has copper eyes and he isn't deaf. I know what you were thinking along those lines--no,he has excellent hearing and is very sensitive to noise. I am alone here and there is no stress for him. He was not fully grown when I found him,but maybe 10 months old and not neutered. I am in the country and there are no behaviorists here and the vets thinks I should just put him back outside or put him to sleep. They don't really value cats in the country.

He has a big room,lots of shelves to climb and jump on and his tall tree to scratch on---when he comes in the house,he just scratches on the kitchen carpet and stretches out really long,then wanders around sniffing and comes back to me and meows for attention. His room is 24'x24' way bigger than any room in the house and the middle of the room is all empty and there are shelves all the way to the ceiling. He seems so bored when he comes in here. He sometimes plays with his little catnip burlap bag and bats his ball around a little. He probably would love to go outside and run in the fields,but I worry about him outside--he never goes to the door and asks to be let out,he just seems bored in here. I also brush him with the broom on the kitchen floor--he absolutely loves that,too. He loves to be brushed. He stretches out and rolls over,then will get up and walk away,then runs back for more. If I sweep the floor,he jumps at the broom and plays, I don't know whether it is good to do that--to tire him and get his aggressions out on the broom or if it overstimulates him and makes him mean?? Should I use the broom as a toy and have him chase and grab it. He looks like he is jumping on it and playing in fun--not mean attacks. He has no fear of the broom at all. I think he was slapped around with a persons hand.

Any noise startles him and I do everything really carefully. One time I set a big bottle of laundry detergent on the floor and he attacked my arm--I think the noise startled him and also,if I pick him up from the front,he grabs my arm and bites-------I have to come up behind hiom and pick him up that way and he is real nice and calm---I cannot move my hand toward his face or he attacks---------like maybe someone used to slap him???????

YES,he gets all stretchedout and so totally relaxed while I am brushoing him--it is part of our nightly ritual--he jumps up on the washer and practically smiles,he loves it so much. Then,he starts getting restless and slaps me--even if I look away for a second,he senses that and slaps to get my attention back. He is very sensitive. The trouble is,even if he is really sweet during the whole grooming,he attacks when I try to leave. I understand that,too--he doesn't want me to leave him,but I have to eventually. I can't brush him all night. It seems like if I stay with him too long,that is when she starts attacking. Like I said,I want him to be with me ALL the time like a normal cat would be. I don';t care if he scratches the furniture a little or the carpet. I am too afraid to have him in here. I am disabled and sometimes can hardly bend or defend myself and could really get hurt.

There really is no negative energy in here,except my fear of him. I am really relaxed playing with him and brushing him,but,I do get nervous when I feel him starting to tense up.

He needs exercise and play to release his anxiety. I am afraid he would be mean to a companion cat and also jealous as Jamie really does love me. He runs so fast and chirps his little happy chirp when I call him--it is like some hidden monster is inside him that makes him attack. Afterwards,he is all sweet and nice like he doesn't even know he hurt me,like a split personality. The vet just thinks it is a behavior problem that he has a temper and wants to run me. He was really sweet and nice and scared to death when we were there. He is afraid of people,but lets them pet and handle him and doesn't slap them. He presses real hard against me for me to protect him from them.

Thank you sooo much for all your help!!!!!!! I have never ever been attacked or slapped by a cat before and it hurts,mentally and physically!!!!! Thank you so much for helping and giving me hope!!!!!!!!

Replying to:

Dear Lisa,

I sincerely appreciate the additional information and the time you took in describing your situation so clearly.

I am only going to concentrate on Jamie's behavioral problem at this time. If you wish to know Jamie's background I can also provide a psychic consultation that may provide additional clues which trigger his aggressive behavior. I know that you dearly cherish your cat, it is obvious from the loving description of your relationship.

It has however become necessary to ask some personal questions. If you do not wish to reply using the Feline Forum, please contact my personal e-mail address through our Administration at Confessions of a Cat Breeder.

You are probably correct that Jamie suffered some form of excessive abuse as a kitten. Can you recall any other triggers which signal his instincts to attack for self preservation? You are presently, without knowledge, tapping into his feline memory with your normal affectionate behavior. He misintreprets your actions and responds with aggression and a personal attack on you. He loves you, he doesn't want to be separated from you but he was abused and he too is living in fear.

There are times when a vet will prescribe medication while behavior modification techniques are being applied. Did your vet at any time offer this form of assistance? Did he provide any suggestions to assist you with Jamie's behavioral problems?

You have indicated that these attacks occur at random and often when he is being groomed. While you are grooming him he enters a state of relaxation and then a memory is obviously triggered. He suddenly becomes overly stimulated, fearful and enters into a state of 'fight or flight'. It should be understood that Jamie's feline interpretation of the world is he must fight for his dear life. This would explain the intensity of his aggression. Unfortunately not due to any actions of your part, you have become the unwilling victim of his fear.

While I am working with a family and an aggressive male, all the family members should become involved. Was Jamie a kitten, a catlet or full grown cat when you adopted him? Was he already altered when he joined your family? Are there any dogs in your home? Do you have children, are you a single person or married? Has your vet been able to ascertain Jamie's approximate age?

Jamie is very sensitive to his surroundings. He will be absorbing both positive and any negative energy within the home. When he reaches a saturation point he has been programmed to attack which he belives is necessary to virtually save his own life.

You may be correct that the laundry room is an adequate room for him. However I am concerned that in that limited area he lacks the space necessary to release his anxiety. That negative energy is later used in his personal interaction with you with unprovoked attacks upon your arrival home. You have also indicated that he is a white cat, does he happen to be blue eyed?

I truly commend you for your devotion and patience with Jamie. Hang in there, we can help. Would you mind answering the above questions and I will continue with your consultation. As this is such a serious situation you will be given priority on the Forum.

You are a very special person and will be blessed for your love and devotion to Jamie in spite of his repeated attacks and aggession. I believe with some time and assistance you will be able to solve this problem and redirect Jamie's aggression in a more positive direction.

You are in my thoughts.

Always,

Jasmine

Psychic Feline Behavior Consultant

Replying to:

PS I have had a LOT of experience with cats and have owned probably 20 cats in my lifetime and never ever been attacked or afraid of one.I didn't want you to think this was like my first cat and think I am over reacting. He gets a crazy look in his eyes,his pupils get real small and he gets totally vicious when he has these spells. I have to grab him by the scruff of his neck and calm him down or I would be seriously injured. Before I learned to do that,I used to get my arm torn up trying to lift him from my leg. I am very gentle and do not lose my temper or hurt him or holler-I pet him and calm him down and a couple hours later,he is a sweet gentle cat again. The vet says it is temper or aggression--that he wants everything HIS way. Have you ever heard of white cats rending to be mean?????

Replying to:

Hi--Thanks so much for your reply! My laundry room is like a 24'x24' room and has his tower and all his stuff. I keep him in there because I never know when he is going to get one of his wild spells and attack me---Also,I have parrots and cannot leave him alone with them all day(he has NEVER even looked at them and never killed birds outside) and also,he might dart out the door when I open it to come in if he is running through the house.

The laundry room is actually nicer for a cat than the house,because of the 2 nice big sunny windows with the shelves in front. That is where he sleeps all day. It isn't like he is imprisoned in a tiny room. He can look outside at the birds and stuff and the grass and get sun and air in summer

I TRULY want him in here with me 100% of the time,but he had hurt my legs a year ago so bad that blood was running down them,from his attacks. I am afraid to sleep or bend down or take a bath or do anything when he is with me

I have had him 2 yrs-----------when he lived in here with me,he attacked me real bad one time in the bathroom when I bent over to straighten the throw rugs and once when I was just walking down the hall,he came up behind me and attacked my legs HARD. He grabs with his claws and bites He does play attack my ankles gently once in a while. I am just too afraid of him to be able to relax. One time he jumped from the ground and bit my arm and I was just standing still.He never growls,hisses or anything I am very gentle with him and very calm, I did have a really nice young neutered male with him at first,but that little guy began to be really afraid of him and would hide on a shelf and be afraid to come down,so I know Jamie was being mean to him. If he has another cat to be mean to,he is nice to me,nbut,I certainly can't sacrifice another cat to have him be nice to me. It is like he has hidden aggression that has to come out. I have played interactive games like him batting feathers on a fishing bowl and this leather thing on a wire that jumps around and I bought him a techno calico cat that walks around and meows and I have tried catnip and all the toys I can find------he seems bored with everything and wants to be by me most of the time,which is GREAT,but after a short time,he has to lash out and hurt me. I would like to be with him,have him sleep with me,be together all the time.

One time I screamed OUCH real loud like one of the websites said to do and that just escalated the attack. I did put him outside the one summer when the vet told me to,and put food and water on the front porch for him,but he always wanted to come in and it broke my heart to close the door--then,when it got cold,I did bring him in. I lived in fear that he would get hurt outside. I am in the country with lots of grassy acres for him to roam,but,there are still a lot of dangers for a cat.

I don't know if I said this already,but he loves to be brushed with the broom,then jumps on the washer and stretches out real nice to be brushed with a brush. I have even bought 3 different brushes and I do it very gently and tell him how pretty he is. But,he gets a little slappy after being brushed,but lunges at me when I stop. He eats really good--is more intersted in being brushed and being with me than eating. But,he eats his dry during the day and I give him a can of food when I get home and fresh water.

I wonder if declawing would keep my injuries from hurting so much,but I read about the recovery time and the pain for HIM and that turned me off. I wonder if he has a short circuit in his braqin or was abused as a kitten or something??? I foiund him on my porch in Feb 2 yrs ago during a terrible snowstorm--I think someone dumped him out of a car,cause I am so far from my neighbors and none of them have ever seen him around and he couldn't have walked very far in the terrible snow--I think someone dumped him on the road. he came right in when I opened the door--he wasn't a feral or wild cat and was clean and well fed. I TRULY hope you can help me. I had 2 bad days in a row with him and figured something has to be done as this is so stressful for me every night. Thanks!!!!!!!!

He is very clean--pure white--uses his litter box perfectly and is in perfect health

Replying to:

Dear Lisa,

I will be addressing your consultation in depth on Tuesday morning. Please, until I have the time to consider this situation fully do not consider destroying this beautiful cat that I know you love so dearly. I would appreciate understanding why your cat is locked in your laundry room for the time that you leave home to work. If you are able to respond to that question before Tuesday I will be able to continue with your consultation.

Many thanks for giving me the opportunity to address this problem which is not uncommon and should my instructions be followed may be quickly solved.

Best wishes,

Jasmine,

Replying to:

I have a 2 yr old male neutered cat who I brought in as a stray. Sometimes he attacks me for no reason and grabs me with his claws and bites. Our routine is this: When I come home from work,I open the door of the laundry room and let him in the house and give him a huh and pet him and put him down to play and he is very happy,rubbing against my leg and stuff. He loves to be brushed with the broom and goes over it and meows and rolls over and loves it. Then I put his canned food in his bowl and put it on top of the washer for him to eat. He has dry food and water and clean litter boxes in the laundry room,which is real big with 2 nice windows with shelves for him to lie on and toys in there

Ok,when he is finished roaming arounds the house,he jumps on the dryer and stretches out for me to brush him there. So,I brush him really nice and gently. Sometimes,I try to guide his head to his food,so maybe he will eat and I can fix my own dinner,etc and he slaps me---or sometimes,he starts getting slappy when I am brushing him and a little tense and his eyes look a little mean--so,I take that as a signal to stop brushing. When I set the brush down,he slaps me and when I turn to walk out of the room,he lunges at me like he wants me to stay. He gets mad when I stop brushing him,but seems like he is getting tired of being brushed at the same time. He claws and bites hard and draws blood when he attacks. My vet said it is a behavior problem and I should put him back outside. I am considering getting him put to sleep. Truthfully,I am afraid of him cause he has attacked my legs,too--sometimes real hard and other times real gentle. Is there anything I can do? I LOVE him with my whole heart. Thanks

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Biting and slapping

Dear Lisa,

Shortly we will be having a general meeting of our Circle of Breeders in our area. I am going to present your situation to our membership and Jamie will be discussed with various solutions offered.

I will e-mail you when I have posted our suggestions on the Feline Forum. Please take care, Jamie is most fortunate to have such unconditional love from his wonderful Mom.

Always,

Jasmine,

Replying to:

He was super nice and relaxed tonite,except when I tried to leave,he lunged at me. I brushed him and brushed him as long as I could--over an hour and it was really nice,but he just kept getting in his "brushing position" all stretched out and wouldn't look at his food or anything--just wanted to be brushed. Before that,I played with him with the broom and he walked around the house a little in between. He looked like he was going to jump on me,again,but I just gently played with him with the broom and then got behind him and picked him up and put him on the washer--he tried to bite me gently a couple times,but I jumped away and tapped him on the nose very lightly with the brush and said" don't bite,Jamie love" So,tonite went real well,but I have the terrible problem with leaving him I understand he doesn't want me to leave and tries to grab me. I wonder if there is some medicine that would calm him down so he could be with me all the time???????????

Replying to:

Thank you so much for your reply! Jamie has copper eyes and he isn't deaf. I know what you were thinking along those lines--no,he has excellent hearing and is very sensitive to noise. I am alone here and there is no stress for him. He was not fully grown when I found him,but maybe 10 months old and not neutered. I am in the country and there are no behaviorists here and the vets thinks I should just put him back outside or put him to sleep. They don't really value cats in the country.

He has a big room,lots of shelves to climb and jump on and his tall tree to scratch on---when he comes in the house,he just scratches on the kitchen carpet and stretches out really long,then wanders around sniffing and comes back to me and meows for attention. His room is 24'x24' way bigger than any room in the house and the middle of the room is all empty and there are shelves all the way to the ceiling. He seems so bored when he comes in here. He sometimes plays with his little catnip burlap bag and bats his ball around a little. He probably would love to go outside and run in the fields,but I worry about him outside--he never goes to the door and asks to be let out,he just seems bored in here. I also brush him with the broom on the kitchen floor--he absolutely loves that,too. He loves to be brushed. He stretches out and rolls over,then will get up and walk away,then runs back for more. If I sweep the floor,he jumps at the broom and plays, I don't know whether it is good to do that--to tire him and get his aggressions out on the broom or if it overstimulates him and makes him mean?? Should I use the broom as a toy and have him chase and grab it. He looks like he is jumping on it and playing in fun--not mean attacks. He has no fear of the broom at all. I think he was slapped around with a persons hand.

Any noise startles him and I do everything really carefully. One time I set a big bottle of laundry detergent on the floor and he attacked my arm--I think the noise startled him and also,if I pick him up from the front,he grabs my arm and bites-------I have to come up behind hiom and pick him up that way and he is real nice and calm---I cannot move my hand toward his face or he attacks---------like maybe someone used to slap him???????

YES,he gets all stretchedout and so totally relaxed while I am brushoing him--it is part of our nightly ritual--he jumps up on the washer and practically smiles,he loves it so much. Then,he starts getting restless and slaps me--even if I look away for a second,he senses that and slaps to get my attention back. He is very sensitive. The trouble is,even if he is really sweet during the whole grooming,he attacks when I try to leave. I understand that,too--he doesn't want me to leave him,but I have to eventually. I can't brush him all night. It seems like if I stay with him too long,that is when she starts attacking. Like I said,I want him to be with me ALL the time like a normal cat would be. I don';t care if he scratches the furniture a little or the carpet. I am too afraid to have him in here. I am disabled and sometimes can hardly bend or defend myself and could really get hurt.

There really is no negative energy in here,except my fear of him. I am really relaxed playing with him and brushing him,but,I do get nervous when I feel him starting to tense up.

He needs exercise and play to release his anxiety. I am afraid he would be mean to a companion cat and also jealous as Jamie really does love me. He runs so fast and chirps his little happy chirp when I call him--it is like some hidden monster is inside him that makes him attack. Afterwards,he is all sweet and nice like he doesn't even know he hurt me,like a split personality. The vet just thinks it is a behavior problem that he has a temper and wants to run me. He was really sweet and nice and scared to death when we were there. He is afraid of people,but lets them pet and handle him and doesn't slap them. He presses real hard against me for me to protect him from them.

Thank you sooo much for all your help!!!!!!! I have never ever been attacked or slapped by a cat before and it hurts,mentally and physically!!!!! Thank you so much for helping and giving me hope!!!!!!!!

Replying to:

Dear Lisa,

I sincerely appreciate the additional information and the time you took in describing your situation so clearly.

I am only going to concentrate on Jamie's behavioral problem at this time. If you wish to know Jamie's background I can also provide a psychic consultation that may provide additional clues which trigger his aggressive behavior. I know that you dearly cherish your cat, it is obvious from the loving description of your relationship.

It has however become necessary to ask some personal questions. If you do not wish to reply using the Feline Forum, please contact my personal e-mail address through our Administration at Confessions of a Cat Breeder.

You are probably correct that Jamie suffered some form of excessive abuse as a kitten. Can you recall any other triggers which signal his instincts to attack for self preservation? You are presently, without knowledge, tapping into his feline memory with your normal affectionate behavior. He misintreprets your actions and responds with aggression and a personal attack on you. He loves you, he doesn't want to be separated from you but he was abused and he too is living in fear.

There are times when a vet will prescribe medication while behavior modification techniques are being applied. Did your vet at any time offer this form of assistance? Did he provide any suggestions to assist you with Jamie's behavioral problems?

You have indicated that these attacks occur at random and often when he is being groomed. While you are grooming him he enters a state of relaxation and then a memory is obviously triggered. He suddenly becomes overly stimulated, fearful and enters into a state of 'fight or flight'. It should be understood that Jamie's feline interpretation of the world is he must fight for his dear life. This would explain the intensity of his aggression. Unfortunately not due to any actions of your part, you have become the unwilling victim of his fear.

While I am working with a family and an aggressive male, all the family members should become involved. Was Jamie a kitten, a catlet or full grown cat when you adopted him? Was he already altered when he joined your family? Are there any dogs in your home? Do you have children, are you a single person or married? Has your vet been able to ascertain Jamie's approximate age?

Jamie is very sensitive to his surroundings. He will be absorbing both positive and any negative energy within the home. When he reaches a saturation point he has been programmed to attack which he belives is necessary to virtually save his own life.

You may be correct that the laundry room is an adequate room for him. However I am concerned that in that limited area he lacks the space necessary to release his anxiety. That negative energy is later used in his personal interaction with you with unprovoked attacks upon your arrival home. You have also indicated that he is a white cat, does he happen to be blue eyed?

I truly commend you for your devotion and patience with Jamie. Hang in there, we can help. Would you mind answering the above questions and I will continue with your consultation. As this is such a serious situation you will be given priority on the Forum.

You are a very special person and will be blessed for your love and devotion to Jamie in spite of his repeated attacks and aggession. I believe with some time and assistance you will be able to solve this problem and redirect Jamie's aggression in a more positive direction.

You are in my thoughts.

Always,

Jasmine

Replying to:

PS I have had a LOT of experience with cats and have owned probably 20 cats in my lifetime and never ever been attacked or afraid of one.I didn't want you to think this was like my first cat and think I am over reacting. He gets a crazy look in his eyes,his pupils get real small and he gets totally vicious when he has these spells. I have to grab him by the scruff of his neck and calm him down or I would be seriously injured. Before I learned to do that,I used to get my arm torn up trying to lift him from my leg. I am very gentle and do not lose my temper or hurt him or holler-I pet him and calm him down and a couple hours later,he is a sweet gentle cat again. The vet says it is temper or aggression--that he wants everything HIS way. Have you ever heard of white cats rending to be mean?????

Replying to:

Hi--Thanks so much for your reply! My laundry room is like a 24'x24' room and has his tower and all his stuff. I keep him in there because I never know when he is going to get one of his wild spells and attack me---Also,I have parrots and cannot leave him alone with them all day(he has NEVER even looked at them and never killed birds outside) and also,he might dart out the door when I open it to come in if he is running through the house.

The laundry room is actually nicer for a cat than the house,because of the 2 nice big sunny windows with the shelves in front. That is where he sleeps all day. It isn't like he is imprisoned in a tiny room. He can look outside at the birds and stuff and the grass and get sun and air in summer

I TRULY want him in here with me 100% of the time,but he had hurt my legs a year ago so bad that blood was running down them,from his attacks. I am afraid to sleep or bend down or take a bath or do anything when he is with me

I have had him 2 yrs-----------when he lived in here with me,he attacked me real bad one time in the bathroom when I bent over to straighten the throw rugs and once when I was just walking down the hall,he came up behind me and attacked my legs HARD. He grabs with his claws and bites He does play attack my ankles gently once in a while. I am just too afraid of him to be able to relax. One time he jumped from the ground and bit my arm and I was just standing still.He never growls,hisses or anything I am very gentle with him and very calm, I did have a really nice young neutered male with him at first,but that little guy began to be really afraid of him and would hide on a shelf and be afraid to come down,so I know Jamie was being mean to him. If he has another cat to be mean to,he is nice to me,nbut,I certainly can't sacrifice another cat to have him be nice to me. It is like he has hidden aggression that has to come out. I have played interactive games like him batting feathers on a fishing bowl and this leather thing on a wire that jumps around and I bought him a techno calico cat that walks around and meows and I have tried catnip and all the toys I can find------he seems bored with everything and wants to be by me most of the time,which is GREAT,but after a short time,he has to lash out and hurt me. I would like to be with him,have him sleep with me,be together all the time.

One time I screamed OUCH real loud like one of the websites said to do and that just escalated the attack. I did put him outside the one summer when the vet told me to,and put food and water on the front porch for him,but he always wanted to come in and it broke my heart to close the door--then,when it got cold,I did bring him in. I lived in fear that he would get hurt outside. I am in the country with lots of grassy acres for him to roam,but,there are still a lot of dangers for a cat.

I don't know if I said this already,but he loves to be brushed with the broom,then jumps on the washer and stretches out real nice to be brushed with a brush. I have even bought 3 different brushes and I do it very gently and tell him how pretty he is. But,he gets a little slappy after being brushed,but lunges at me when I stop. He eats really good--is more intersted in being brushed and being with m

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Biting and slapping

Thank you sooo much,Jasmine! I REALLY appreciate all your help!!! I DO love Jamie soo much and he is such a sweet loving intelligent cat--other than his temper or aggression problem.

Replying to:

Dear Lisa,

Shortly we will be having a general meeting of our Circle of Breeders in our area. I am going to present your situation to our membership and Jamie will be discussed with various solutions offered.

I will e-mail you when I have posted our suggestions on the Feline Forum. Please take care, Jamie is most fortunate to have such unconditional love from his wonderful Mom.

Always,

Jasmine,

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Dear Lisa,

You are in my thoughts.

Always,

Jasmine

Replying to:

Replying to:

I don't know if I said this already,but he loves to be brushed with the broom,then jumps on the washer and stretches out real nice to be brushed with a brush. I have even bought 3 different brushes and I do it very gently and tell him how pretty he is. But,he gets a little slappy after being brushed,but lunges at me when I stop. He eats really good--is more intersted in being brushed and being with m