Jasmine's Feline Message Forum

Confessions of a Cat Breeder

Following Jasmine's Confessions of a Cat Breeder Following Jasmine's Confessions of a Cat Breeder Following Jasmine's Confessions of a Cat Breeder

We've acquired a great following!

Cat and Kitten Stories

Welcome to Jasmine's Feline Forum

Please feel free to air your kitty problems, ask a question,
or just write about the love you share
with your special feline friend.

Feel free to add your own comments on questions
to help out where you can.

Please note that questions and answers may become part
of our feature articles or stories.

Jasmine's Feline Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
how to ween

My wife and I are getting worried... We have 4 kittens that won't even try or show any interest in food. (creamy substance not solid, kind of like cream of wheat) They are about 4 weeks old now... Shouldn't they eat by now. Any tips? Please help us if you wouldn't mind. Thank you for reading this messege.

Re: how to ween

Dear Nick and Shane,

At four weeks of age it is important to interest the kittens in a creamy preferably meat based diet. I found pure meat chicken baby food would start my babies eating immediately. This is the same product that human babies eat such as Gerbers, Heinz etc.

Do not buy the variety with vegetables. Chicken appears to be the easiest for the kitten's developing digestive systems. I would also use a rubber tipped baby spoon which had originally been my infant son's to protect the kitten's delicate mouths. The babies should be gently held and each fed with the baby spoon. Allow the mother to clean the baby after you have finished feeding each kitten. The baby food should only be consumed when at room temperature. Depending on the size of your litter often the entire jar of baby food will be finished during one feeding. When I had left overs I permitted the mother of the litter to finish the jar. Within 24 hours your kittens will have to learn good litter box etiquette. Make sure you have provided clumping litter then allow the kittens to investigate this new substance in a very small litter box. It helps if the mother has also used a portion of the litter to encourage the kittens to follow suit. Do not become alarmed if your kittens start to play in their litter box, this soon passes as the boxes true purpose becomes clear.

After a few days of feeding the kittens 2 to 3 times a day try introducing them to the food by placing a small amount of baby food on a large plate and placing each baby in front of a small portion. You may need to dip your finger in the food and allow the kitten to follow your finger down to food on the plate. The mother may have to be removed at this time as she will quickly assist the kittens with cleaning the plate.

I found many litters quickly learned the purpose of their litter box with their mother's assistance. As soon as your kittens have adapted to their new diet, introduce a high quality wet food such as Science Diet for kittens. Although many kittens eventually lose interest in this excellent source of nutrition try to encourage this quality of diet for as long as possible. Your kittens will soon develop a preference for a substantial diet available in any pet food store.

Please let us know if this method works for you. I never had any problems geting my babies to eat as long as I followed this procedure.

Keep in Touch and best wishes,

Jasmine,

Feline Behavior Consultant

Confessions of a Cat Breeder

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

My wife and I are getting worried... We have 4 kittens that won't even try or show any interest in food. (creamy substance not solid, kind of like cream of wheat) They are about 4 weeks old now... Shouldn't they eat by now. Any tips? Please help us if you wouldn't mind. Thank you for reading this messege.