Jasmine's Feline Message Forum

Confessions of a Cat Breeder

Following Jasmine's Confessions of a Cat Breeder Following Jasmine's Confessions of a Cat Breeder Following Jasmine's Confessions of a Cat Breeder

We've acquired a great following!

Cat and Kitten Stories

Welcome to Jasmine's Feline Forum

Please feel free to air your kitty problems, ask a question,
or just write about the love you share
with your special feline friend.

Feel free to add your own comments on questions
to help out where you can.

Please note that questions and answers may become part
of our feature articles or stories.

Jasmine's Feline Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cat's Territory Issues

My cat is a farm cat. She has chased away everything from the house and outbuildings: mice, rats, coons, moles, squinnies, bunnies, squirrels, and takes out birds whenever she can. Just a few nights ago she trapped a twenty pound coon in a tree and even went up into the tree to make sure it stayed there while we proceeded to kill it. Just last summer she chased a neighbor cat that was two or three times her size, and about twice as old as she is, away from the house, all throughout the barn, and on down the fence line to fields.
She's protecting her territory and knows she is queen of this chunk of land. The weird thing is, there are two other younger neighbor cats that stop up by the house at night sometimes. I've seen her watch these cats as they walk the fence line or sit at the end of the driveway-she does nothing more. Sometimes we've caught her letting them eat out of her food bowl.
We don't know if she respects them, wants to be friends, or fears them. She has run off bigger and badder, so i don't understand.
Any help on this one?
Star

Re: Cat's Territory Issues

Your cat sounds like a wonderful feline to have on a farm. I believe the younger cats are accepted by her as in the past they have shown her proper feline respect. They have probably been visiting her since they were quite young and gave her the honor she deserved as 'Head Cat'. As she allows them to sample her food she has accepted them as a part of her feline family.
There may also be a possibility of a genetic relationship envolved. If these cats share a blood line your feline may have identifed a similarity of 'family scents' and was able to allow them passage into her territory. I have witnessed this same strange acceptance with a territorial purebred persian female that accepted a grown cat back into her cattery with no fuss. I was as amazed as you are. Please keep us posted, I would like to know what you have named your little girl.
Best wishes,

Jasmine,
Feline Behavior Consultant
Confessions of a Cat Breeder