​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

MASTERFOX
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
First Prize Known to Be Given To A Fox Hound in The U.S.

Reading in some old books I stumbled across this thought it to be intersting.

It read: CHAMPION PRIZE COLLAR
STATE OF KENTUCKY
GIVEN BY MADISON COUNTY APRIL 25TH 1866
TO THE FASTEST FOXHOUND IN THE STATE OF KENTUCKY

WONDER IF THEY SAID HE WAS A SLASHING CUTTING DOG BACK THEN

Re: First Prize Known to Be Given To A Fox Hound in The U.S.

Probably not Mr. Steve, from the stories I've heard about and from some of the older foxhunter's they would get rid of the cutter's and slasher's. And I'm sure back in the day you felt the same way.

DUCOTE YOU SHOULD HAVE FIGURED IT OUT BY NOW BUT...IF YOU HAVE WHAT YOU THINK IS A FAST ONE MOST OTHER PEOPLE ARE A LITTLE JEALOUS AND WANT TO FIND FAULT SUCH AS ROAD RUNNER SLASHER ETC. SO ITS HARD TO HAVE ONE YOU LIKE WITHOUT SOMEONE TRYING TO PICK IT APART...

HILLBILLY, THATS WHAT i KEEP TELLING YOU JULY BOYS DON'T BE JEALOUS JUST GET SOME WALKERS

hillbilly exacally right i was talking to a good friend and a good hunter the other night and he had just attended an outside hunt and was amazed at how many hunters didnt even know what there hounds sound like ? and steve i like reading history like that good post and as the slash and divers well i would have to say to many are to scared to cull because thet are so fast take that same blisstering stringing you out hound run him in the dark and see where superdiver is? from my little time in this sport i would have to say there are alot of hunters that wont leave a cabin or a fire to see what is going on they sit or lean up agianst there truck and call buddys and talk the big stuff when you and i know what is usually the end result.steve find somemore and get it posted. Good hunting steve

DUCOTE I GUESS WHITEY IS GONNA NEED TO TAKE YOU UNDER HIS WING ONE MORE TIME...I WOULD BUT MY WINGS ARENT BIG ENOUGH FOR YOU AND SKINNY BOTH... REMEMBER IT IS VERY EASY TO SAY IF YOU SAY IT VERY SLOW.......... JULY # 1.. HOPE TO RUN INTO YOU GUYS THIS SUMMER...

Have a book about different breeds of dogs, and the American Foxhound is in there......
It says Hernando De Sota had hounds with him when he discovered the Missiissippi River in 1541. It also says,Robert Brook brought the first pack of hounds to America on June 30, l650...
The first recorded field trial was at Albany Hills, Maine, 1889....Less than a month later, the interstate Foxhunters Club held its first trial at Waverly, Miss. Wild Goose Kennels won the Puppy Stake,
In 1893 the National Foxhunters Assoc. was organized
Irv and Sherrill