Author
Comment
what is guinea breed

Re: what is guinea breed

IT DEPENDS ON WHO YOU ASK...

JULYS BREAD DOWN

They are speaking of decendants of Streaking Guinea D. He was a small 23 inch or so red hound. Placed 4th at the All American and bred alot. The pups had alot of speed,questionable nose, good confirmation. The pedigree of this little dog has been questioned because of his sire. Bobby Hatcher of Brookhaven, Mississippi promoted him. Hatcher was also questionable in his practices. Good looking little red dog, Hatcher mastered the SC State in Camden and brought him with him. Several hounds from SC were bred to him. All i saw were fast but, couldn't turn. At the time we ran gray fox outside and most didn't work well. No coyotes then but, i can see how running coyotes, they would have worked better.

Hilton, It's about time you got back on here. The board has begun to look like a coming events, hound peddling service crossed on a soap opera gone wrong with characters like ????, Hunter and One Who Knows.
Good to hear from someone who does know some things and isn't afraid to sign his name.
You mention that Streakin Guinea D.'s pedigree is in question because of his sire. Don't have much if any Guinea blood in my hounds, but do have a lot of Streaker Haggin blood on back. What's the scoop?
Bobby Hatcher and others promoted the Guinea hounds but it was my understanding that Mr. Bud Davis in Texas bred and trained the hounds -- hence the Guinea D.
Rumors aren't something new in foxhounds. Some are likely true, others spring from jealousy and the desire to cut down someone who stands out from the crowd.
Despite the reps of others connected with the Guinea strain, it was always my understanding that Mr. Davis was an honest and very competent hounds man.

No doubt Bud Davis was straight up. There always has been the rumor Streaker Haggin wasn't what he was suppose to be, hence the July comments. I wouldn't trust Hatcher as far as i could have thrown him. Too many stories on him. As far as Guinea D. was concerned, he was about as good looking a little dog that you would find. Hatcher brought him and the Indian princess to the SC State. She looked pretty good too and not a dog, if you know what i mean. No fox pens back then and we all ran on the outside. William Robinson had a litter. He ran with Purvis. Now those red dogs had the front till the game turned and then they would go another 100 yards before they figured it out. By then Purvis's dogs had left the country with the game. I can still see that if it had been in a pen with coyotes they would have been hard to handle. The best one off Guinea had to be, in my opinion, the one that T. Warren Sharp had. I believe his name was Thirsty Guinea. Good producer, good hound, from all accounts.

Erik, If you notice, i said just enough to get McClain, Hilbilly, and Turner excited!!!!

Barry, There are a lot of stories in circulation about the validity of paperwork on certain individual hounds and strains of them. Some of them are likely true.
Long ago I decided to concentrate on what I know to be true and make any pedigrees I contribute to as honest as I know how to.
I'd like to offer a couple thoughts on old Streaker. He was whelped within fifty or sixty miles of where I live and died seven or eight miles away from here.
A hunter with no axe to grind told me a couple of years ago that Streaker was 'the fastest hound I ever saw running a red fox'.
I never saw him run. He was retired the year before I started running hounds, but I saw truckloads of his offspring run.
Hardly ever saw one right out of him run in a pen, but saw lots of them outside on coyotes and reds.
In general, you are right. They were better coyote and red fox hounds than they would have been on grays. However, like anything else, there are exceptions to the rule.
I remember a few real track running hounds out of the old bird that probably could have put pressure on a gray fox, they just never got the chance up here.
Most of the Streaker hounds up here, had little or no trail, drifted the track, didn't open til they were within 100 yards of the game and would 'shut up and get up' if they weren't.
They were great on coyotes and also some of those hard-to-run-reds.
They wouldn't open way back and let him start laying out his snares. When they opened he was running for his life.
The only guinea hounds I remember up here came off a male called Pearts Rube Guinea that Steve Watts brought up from Louisiana.
He produced three or four gyps that could just set a red fox on FIRE, but by then pens were prevalent and they didn't have enough bottom for that kind of running.
However the best hound I've ever seen came out of crossing that blood with Streaker and Rose Haven breeding. The gyp had wheels, stick and could turn with the game ahead of big packs of hounds and never miss a beat.
I've also heard that the Thirsty Guinea hound was a good one, but he wasn't alone, I'll bet.

I may as well put in my 2 cents in.
Bobby came and was the master of the Cimmaron Valley hunt and brought about 40 pups out of Guinea D with him and sold them all the first 2 hours he was there. I new where 25 to 30 of them went to and out of those only 2 had the speed to get in a FAST coyote race in open country.
Most of them did not get over 22 inches and were kind of fat dumpy looking dogs,not what you need from the cimmaron river north.
Bobby never came back to this part of the country.
Barry he had the Indian Princess with him and she was very easy on the eyes, that for sure

Let me give my two cents. The guinea was named by Bud Davis wife.Davis speckled Guinea, he was working and had been running on outside his wife called him and told him one of his dogs had come home. he asked which one she said the one that looked like a speckled guinea. Thats where the guinea name started. He started adding the guinea name to all his breeding.
Their trait then was they could run fast as any dog. Had good noses and some not enough bottom for three days. The july breeding came from Bud Davis kidding with a certain fellow. The fellow got to telling this story so much that started beleiving it. If you won't to know the whole story call Bud Davis @ 936 635 4274

I HAVE HAD SEVERAL CHAMPIONS CROSSING STREAKER GYPS TO MY LIQUOR HOUNDS. JUDGE THE HOUNDS AND NOT THE OWNERS.FOX HUNTERS ARE THE MOST JEALOUS PEOPLE IN THE SPORT WORLD

JOHN A GUINEA BRED HOUND IS A HOUND YOU CAN'T RUN OVER IN THE ROAD.

BARRY IF YOU EVER SHOW UP WHERE I CAN LOOK AT YOU I WILL TELL YOU A STORY ABOUT A CROSS THAT WAS MADE THAT WAS NEVER CLAIMED.....THEN I CAN SHOW YOU A PICTURE OF A HOUND AND YOU CAN BE THE JUDGE....

Ican tell you a hunter in these parts had two females by Streaking Guinea D. and a female named Chatterbox that could run a red fox as fast and hard as anyone's hound and would do this for 8 or 9 hours. after that they would fall back in the pack but for those eight or nine hours they ran more fox than most hounds do in a week.They were named Heartburn and Lou and you are welcome when you are in this country to ask any of the older hunters as they will tell you of the two Clifton (Jr.) Hebert had.Now a lot is said about these hounds or those hounds but let me say it all goes with what part of the country you are in.A ton of hounds came from the East coast that could not get in a race down here and they were front end hounds on the ducking gray fox out there. Opinions on hounds will vary from place to place and game to game. So many good gray fox hounds in this country could follow a gray but were lost on reds and I am sure the same could be said for the hounds in our country that were ran on nothing but Red fox and then taken to the East Coast to run Grays.There were a lot of hounds that were good on both in this country though such as the Liquor hounds,Wright's Lee Mar hounds,Jo Jester Jr. hounds,etc.These are not all but just a few that come to mind.Let me say also that all hounds have a momma also and that goes a long ways into how the pups turn out and a lot of hunters with a stud have been guilty of taking any female with a pretty pedigree and breeding it because they had such big orders for pups.

Hilton, You can't excite me. I neither suspect or expect a thing.

Mr. Canoy, You're right about the jealousy.

Mr. Canoy- could you explain the above statement? thanks...

STEVE O
witch one of the comments you would like for me to comment on.

john, was stationed in ark in 1980s and drove to ms and bought a pair off of guinea d, brought them home to va and raised for deer dogs. the female had a good tenor mouth, but wouldnt home at all. sold her to friend joe lewis who foxhunted. she won several local money hunts and was mass state champion foxhound! not bad for a deer dog.i think the best cross made off him was with watters tuffy, that cross produced thirsty, black lightening, and many others, i think wway bud was off that cross too. i have been looking for someone with a concentration of this blood for awhile. we killed a buck off the male pup running it by himself at 6 mos old. i liked those dogs as well as any i ever owned and am looking for that blood now.

MR. Almand you are 100% right about the type of female that the pups that Bobby brought up here. I have know idea what the mothers to all the pups were.I feel that they were out of females that never should have been bred. All I know is they did not work for running coyotes in the wide open.

A GUINEA BRED HOUND IS A HOUND YOU CAN'T RUN OVER IN THE ROAD. Elaberate Please...

THE STANDING JOKE BETWEEN ME AND ANOTHER FELLOW IN

EASTERN N.C. IS THIS 1 GUINEA HOUND X 1 FLOWERS HOUND

= A HOUND THAT IS 1/4 JULY !!! NOW I AM JUST KIDDING

BUT SOMETIMES IF IT LOOKS LIKE A DUCK AND SOUNDS LIKE

A DUCK IT MUST BE A DUCK !!! LOL !!!

LATER,

MICHAEL L. MITCHELL

is that were the redish brown an yellow eyes come from

STEVE O
Back many years ago,most ever farm had flock of guineas. They were like chickens. They were used for iinsect controle.They stayed in the road alott and very few ever got run over. When I started driving I TRIED to prove them wrong but never did.I would think every foxhunter new what a guinea was. They were so quick you could'nt hit one. That's the way a guinea hound was QUICK AND FAST. Hope this helps.

They are also as good as any yard dog to let you know if a stranger came up to the house. Kevin Kinder

Thank you sir! I know what a guinea (bird) is, but i've not ever been around many guinea bred dogs. I was just makin sure they didn't have some supernatural ability to dodge traffic...lol. I have a neighbor with a litter of beagle chow crosses & they sleep in the middle of the road & never get hit! you know how it is something always happens to the good ones!

If you go back a few generations, a very high percentage of top western hounds have a cross or more of Guinea blood.
Maybe Julys too, but you'd have to read between the lines.

We had a couple of streaking guinea gyps we put under Dash Rip Rock and got some nice quick fox dogs. Didn't run yotes then , but ours were more small and quick dogs. No big striders. We had always heard the guinneas were quick but no bottom. We didnt 3 day much , so it wasn't our main concern.

When the All american came to pamplico for the first time they had a pamphlet. We saw where Guinnea D. had placed. Then it listed the categories and he had gotten in with trailing, not speed and drive.

Just some information.

Houston Burns is exactly correct. I know Bud Davis very well and he has told that exact story to me many times. I never get tired of hearing it. Bud's wife started the name Guinea from the little gyp that had come in and was laying in the yard and it looked like a speckled Guinea to her.

The ones here that I ran with and owned,
had good speed but couldn't out run my
Hornet bred hounds. But the Hornets surely
would out last them and were better track
running hounds. One good thing that could
be said about the ones I knew, was that
they all had good feet; nice, thick,
black pads.

I was lucky enough to have a grandpup off Streaking Guinea that won the Va State in 1999. They were crossed on a TNT female that was given to me. Had 7 pups and 4 that I know of HGA'd. Mine died having pups in 2001. Still looking for her equal. The last one I know of went to Curtis Lindsay in Texas. Curtis if you read this please give me a call (434)955-0861. I really enjoyed my RED Guinea hounds. Thanks Mr. Davis.

mr. canoy they stayed in the road

WELL I DECIDED TO GET IN THIS RACE. EVEN THOUGH THERE ARE SOME THAT ARE ON THE SIDE FLANKING,ROAD RUNNING,BARKING BEHIND,AND BABBLING. LET ME SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT..HOUSTON BURNS IS CORRECT HOW THE NAME GOT STARTED. I WAS PRIVILEGED TO HAVE HUNTED WITH SPECKLED GUINEA. BUD DAVIS WATCHED STREAKER HAGGIN RUN AT THE ALL AMERICAN IN TEXAS, AND LIKED WHAT HE SAW. AS STREAKER H. WAS A FINE LOOKING SPECIMAN OF A RUNNING HOUND,YES, HE WAS SOLID DEEP RED, 25" TALL, WITH WHITE POINTS. HAD THE BEST OF CONFORMATION, AND USED IT TOO. MY FRIEND DON RICHEY FROM BENTON,AR. BOUGHT HIM FROM STEVE WATTS IN CANADA. I LET BUD HAVE A MATRON NAMED WATTERS TUFFY OF WHICH CAME SEVEN ADV. STUD HOUNDS IN A PERIOD OF TIME. THIS BLOODLINE HAPPENED LIKE A LOT OF OTHERS HAVE IN PAST YEARS, IT WAS COMMERICALIZED AND FAILED TO CONTINUE DUE TO POOR BREEDERS OF FOXHOUNDS. GOOD HUNTING TO ALL, GOD BLESS

HAD ONE GYP BY OLD GUINEA D WHELPED 1982,SHE WAS A GOOD ONE OUT OF A GYP BY USO CH DELTA GUY ROWDEN EX A WILDCAT KITE LIQUOR GYP.SHE COULD GET UP ON HER GAME AND HAD THE NOSE TO KEEP HER THERE.GOT A HIP KNOCKED DOWN WHEN ABOUT THREE AND BY THIS TIME WE WERE GETTING PENS HERE,LOST SOME SPEED BEING CRIPPLED BUT IN A PEN SHE WOULD PUT A LOT OF HOUNDS TO THE FIRE AFTER DAY LIGHT.YOU WOULD NOT RUN HER OUT.

Mr. Watters, Just one small quibble with what you posted -- I believe Don Richey bought Streaker from Ron Sheridan, who bred the hound.
Steve later purchased him back from Mr. Don and bred a number of gyps to him.
I'd appreciate any particulars you'd care to pass on about the bottom side of the Guinea hounds.
I remember Charlie Brown being in there as well as Watters Tuffy and My Dirt Dobber, who I believe Don Richey owned at one time.
Mark Curry and/or Bobby Hatcher had a bunch of the original Guinea hounds at the 1980 A.A. They were fine looking hounds, not much wonder they produced speed.

Dick, Interesting that the Delta Guy Rowden gyp crossed well on Guinea D.
I remember seeing the ad for Delta Guy a number of times and wondering what kind of hound he was. Do you have any info on him or his get?
What you've experienced also speaks to ANY famous stud hound -- it depends what you cross him on and how it works.
We tend to judge stud hounds on their pups, BUT they all have Mommas, as the old saying goes.
I've heard ol Rube Guinea was pretty tight-mouthed but the gyps I ran with out of him tongued every time they hit the ground.
I still believe that breeding successful hounds is more and art than a science, although a knowledge of genetics is a big help.

I've written about a couple Streaker Haggin hounds from a few years back, probably more than anyone cares to know.
For anyone still hanging in, I'd like to write about another one.
A couple of years ago, at the re-birth of the Penn State, I mentioned a hound called Winter Haggin W. who was right out of Streaker and a Punk Raider P. gyp called Watts Sarah Raider.
Streaker was crossed on a number of Raider-bred gyps that came out of the bloodlines bred by Herman Paugh in Warsaw, Ohio. He was out of a Pete Raider S. gyp called Paugh's Lady Bird.
Anyway, Winter was a big, stout white hound with better than average speed, excellent line control and a world of hunt. I cannot keep track of the mornings we waited for that old scounderel to come in, when everything else was in the box. You'd hear him fire up and away he'd go.
He was a very good hound, a hound that made everything in the pack better and a hound who'd face up to a coyote that didn't want to run and bay him til he did.
Winter was out of the first Streaker-Sarah cross. About the third or fourth time Steve and Hugh made the cross, it produced a hound called Wrightman's Night Rider.
Rider was the flip side to Winter. He didn't make other hounds look good. He made em look bad.
He had good hunt, not a lick of trail, very good speed and even better bottom. He was one of the few front end hounds I've seen that got better as the race went on.
He was a smallish tri-color hound that looked very ordinary and wasn't. He caught quite a few coyotes, running in country with lots of cover and tried to terminate every one he caught.
One time, before tracking collars, we'd caught every hound but Rider. A truck stopped and asked if we were looking for a hound, "because there's one up the road a couple of miles fighting a coyote. Both of them are up on their hind feet and locked on to each other pretty good."
In addition to catching and stretching a lot of coyotes, he ran at least one well-attended match race on a hard-to-run coyote that he had busting concessions when they caught him off next morning and won the New York State all age in one of the few trials he was entered in.
The hound never ran a deer or called in, to the best of anyone's knowledge.
He simply disappeared running south of Al Wrightman's farm, perhaps shot and killed, but no one knows for certain.
What we did know, was that he was an exceptional coyote and red fox hound, one of the very best that Streaker produced up here in Canada.

ERIC
I DON,T KNOW MUCH ABOUT CH DELTA GUY ROWDEN,HEARD IN HIS DAY HE WAS A GOOD HOUND,HIS BLOOD DID NOT BOTHER THE STREAKING GUEINA D GYP I HAD.HE PUT IN FOUR DAYS AND WON 73 USO MUST HAVE BEEN PRETTY GOOD.
HIS LINES GO BACK TO SOME OF THE GREATS OF THE PAST LIKE RAY RAIDER-FLYING CLOUD-BUCK BRANHAM-HUB DAWSON-BIG STRIDE-OLD HAGGIN ETC.
STREAKER HAGGIN I DO KNOW ABOUT THE STUFF HE WAS MADE FROM, BRED BY BARRY NELSON,GRAFTON ONT
I BELIEVE IN 74 OR 75.
HIS SIRE PRAIRIE HAGGIN R WAS A ROYAL BRED HOUND ,MOST OF HIS ANCESTORS WERE IN HOUR AND A HALF OF ME AND I KNEW MOST ALL OF THEM THEY WERE THE RIGHT STUFF FOR SURE.PAUGH LADY BIRD HAD THE GOOD BLOOD IN HER ALSO,BEING BY PETE RAIDER S HE BY OLD PUNK W AND A GYP BY THE REAL MC COY.
JOHN RACKLEY HAD PRAIRIE HAGGIN R AND PRAIRIE ELMO AT STUD IN EARLY 70,S HEARD SOME GOOD HOUNDS OUT OF BOTH OF THEM IN THOSE DAYS.THE KIND WE USED TO GET OUR SAT NIGHT HOUNDS FROM,ONLY LIVED 70 MILES FROM JOHN.BE SAFE COMING TO THE WOLF HOUND CLASSIC ,HOPE TO SEE YA THERE.

Dick, I believe Barry Nelson owned Paugh's Lady Bird at one time and Prairie Haggin R. as well.
I think Ron Sheridan must have bought or leased the gyp from him. It's my understanding that he made the cross that produced Streaker.
Steve and Hugh Watts bought old Prairie Haggin R. from Mr. Nelson, I believe, and bred to him extensively.
He put more type in the Paugh hounds and produced some excellent hounds. They always claimed he was a prepotent sire, producing good hounds on almost anything he was bred to.
Prairie Haggin died just before I got into hounds. The Watts brothers replaced him with Streaker. I DID see a lot of hounds out of both sires and they were very similar -- game hounds for the most part, good outgoing temperment, very little trail, drifted the track and could get up on a coyote or red, many of them had tenor mouths.
Steve and Hugh were running a litter out of Prairie Haggin and Freckles Paugh when I first met them.
It was an outstanding cross. They had a lemon and white male called Paleface Haggin that knocked heads with Streaker when they ran them together.
Streaker was retired when I saw him but I ran with Paleface a number of times. He was a very fast hound, although not as game as some of the others out of those blood lines. A couple of his sisters were probably better all-around hounds. Most of them had that tenor mouth and drew it out. They were hard to tell apart, listening to them, but you heard those mouths a LOT.
I think they placed four or five out of that litter at the Penn State derby back in the '70's.
I kind of laugh when I hear the stories about Streaker being out of a July gyp. Lady Bird came from Herman Paugh's.
I did not know Mr. Paugh but a number of friends I hunted with did and had bought hounds from him.
He was highly respected by those who knew him. He linebred extensively, refusing to breed to Walker hounds that didn't carry solid Raider-Pickett-Haggin bloodlines.
Maybe he did cross some July into old Lady Bird and maybe the tooth fairy really does come when you lose a molar. I'm getting to the age where that interests me again.
Looking forward to seeing you at the Classic.

Better question is there any guinea breeding left

I have lots of it, and so do a lot of others in this area. I live 20 miles from Curtis Lindsey and I bought a hound from him in 2001 that had three crosses of Cherokee Streak in him and Cherokee Streak is out of Streaking Guinea D, also I had a stud dog in the late 90's that won the 98 Texas State and he had lots of Guinea in him, and crossed him on a gyp that was a grand pup of Black Lightning Guinea, who was out of Streaking Guinea D so I have lots of it since I have crossed these three hounds back and forth together, so now I have lots of it but most of the actual Guinea name is in the fourth and fifth generation now. I imagine there are many hounds in the Texas, La., Ark., area that have lots of Guinea but probably not much any closer than the 4'th generation.

Yea, and lots of guinea came out of him in Grapevine.

Mr Sharkey, he was the seventh place hound the first day of that trial and I have never seen him even close to quitting, that was a fault of his. He was too tough, I could never gather him up until late each day, even into the night. He got scratched for loafing the second day and was with a group of hounds that ran a coyote into the horse pen after 12 that day. I ran him in several trials and he always either placed or won, and as a pleasure hound he would run all night and I was always the last one to gather hounds up the next day because I was chasing him and two of his littermates, they would run all night and still go around you the next day even up into the hot part of the day. I'll never know what caused him to get scratched that second day but I can tell you, you or me either one has ever had a tougher hound than him and all his littermates. One of his littermates ran all night at Overton, Tx and I watched him cross the road the next day after a coyote all drawen up but he still wouldn't let me catch him and he died three days later with tick fever. You wouldn't want a hound or group of hounds with any more bottom than that dog had and ALL his brothers and sisters, I made the crosss three times. ALL WERE TOOOOOOOO TOUGH. The dog you are talking about blew a shoulder during the IRHC and I still ran him for several years as a all night hound with a weak shoulder. He came in limping for the first time in his life the second day of that hunt you are referring to. Now, I know what you are insinuating and I agree with you, I have seen lots of Guinea bred dogs that were a little short on bottom but as you know he was a grand pup of your Bronson Dog and Martin's War Eagle and this seemed to offset the short hours of lots of Guinea bred dogs. You can critisize him all you want to, he certainly was not perfect, he did have some faults but quitting wasn't one of them. I originally wrote seventy place but I meant seventh, as you can see I corrected that.

I would listen to a legend before anyone on here (no afence to anyone) but Leon Canoy problaby knows what he is talking about.

If you had to be a hounds man, the quality of Leon Canoy to post on here, there'd be a lot of slow days on Masterfox.
Most of us would have a lot more time for fishing, golf or maybe just training better fox hounds.

Mr. Emerson
I don't play goff. go fishing every once in a while. Spend most of my time paying attention to my hounds. A lott of hounds can teach you something about thensevles in there pens. One of the reason I don't post more on this site I notice most of them I would call Computer fox hunters.Most of them talk a lot, but nevery say any thing.ha ha. When I'am ask something I try to answer to the best of my abilty. I know pleanty about the GUINEA dogs.Fred Walker knows plenty also but he has been mighty quite.I HAVE ENJOYED THIS POST.

Mr. Canoy, To be a top hunter/breeder of foxhounds requires both intelligence and perseverance.
A hounds man who won't put in the hours to implement his ideas is like a hound with ability and no heart. He won't finish. That is why many of us are three hour hunters and arm chair (computer) experts.
Always great to hear from the individuals in our sport who have demonstrated that they possess both.

HERE IS MY 2 CENTS ( FOR WHAT IT IS WORTH ) DONT SEE NO JULY IN STREAKER HAGGIN OR POWDER PUFF GUINEA , BUT THAts on paper dont know the dogs up close what i do know is that PRAIRIE ELMO WAS BRED BY CLARENCE BRAVE IN ILLINOIS DONT KNOW IF RACKLY HAD HIM BUT MY FATHER HAD HIM AT STUD FROM 73 TOO 78 WHEN HE DIED AND I CAN SEE THE SPOT WHERE HE IS BUURIED FROM MY FRONT PORCH NOW THIS HOUND WAS HUNTED REGULAR IN THOSE DAYS AND THEM WAS SOME POWERFULL FOX RACES WE WOULD TURN LOOSE AROUND DARK 30 AND IT WOULD NOT BE LONG TILL IT WAS ON AND I MEEN SOME GOOD RUNNIN WE WOULD STAND IN THE ROAD ABOOUT 7 IN THE MORNIN TOO SEE WHO WAS PULLIN THE TRAIN I WAS JUST A KID BUT THAT FOX WOULD CROSS AND 30FT LATER THE DOGS AT LEAST THE 5 OR 6 STILL IN AND USALLY THE PACK WOULD FILL 20 OR 30 FEET WITH THE OCASIONAL STRAGLER IF HE DIDNT HOLE THAT ROUND WE D, CATCH ALL WE COULD ON THE NEXT NOW OLD ELMO WAS OUT OF ELMOS IKE X BIL-MAR CANDY MOST OF OUR DOGS THEN WERE CROSSED ON SOM E PICKETT BLOOD AND ELMO THEM WAS SOME FINE HOUNDS DONT KNOW HOW THEYED STACK UP IN SOME OF THE HARD RUNNIN PENS TODAY BUT THEY COULD BURN UP THE WOODS AND CORN THEN WITCH IS WHERE IM TRYIN TOO GO IN MY PROGRAM ..RAIDER -HAGGIN- PICKETT (HAPPY HUNTING....)

mr sam
just ran by this old post again,you are correct that c.l.brave was the breeder of old prairie elmo,john rackley did own him and prairie haggin r,by haggins howard s ex sadie ruyle he was the sire of streaker haggin that so much has been wrote about.
prairie haggin r was bred by mr earl ruyle up at gillespie ill.was at johns place couple times when he had them at stud in 71 or 72,in fact he was the man who registered them both while he had them.he was at edwardsville ill.those old hounds had the bloodlines i would like to get close to again but sure won,t.
you are right,the old hounds produced some good ones.
i remember jim chumley that had hounds at stud years ago,seems like one was jester and master jo the other maybe schillings bred not sure,was he your dad?

After introduing Mic's Dealer Liqour at stud, the question "what is guinea breed" pops up on the board and gets 2496 views and 47 replies, thats an amazing response. So since I might have started this, so I will reply about this subject. First of all this has been very educational about the history of the guinea breed from some the most iconic foxhunters of our day, I say this with respect. For you younger hunters, whether you a 3 hour hunter, all night hunter or computer hunter, if you have question to ask about the sport of foxhunting, please ask some one on Masterfox, if you don't ask you will never know. I live about 70 miles from Brookhaven, MS where Streaking Guinea D. and his offspring where advertised. I live 30 miles from where W-Way Bud was advertised by a Jake Floyd and have been told was purchased for $12,000, that alot of money back in that day. Jake raised alot of guinea breed hound for years, he liked their speed and most of all their mouths. He later advertised Bolt Acion Guinea (later purchased by Bob Hurley) and ran this breed of hound til his health got to him an he unable to hunt, I guess you could say Jake kept this breed alive. I bought some pups off of Black Lighting Guinea C. (he died later at McMillians) from Bo Beard (who had him at his kennels) back in the early 90's and late aquired some females decendants of the guinea breed, thats how and why they are are in my breeding program. I think the liqour and guinea crosses have been good ones. I like their color, mouthes, racey built, speed and are plenty game. As you well know you have to go threw alot of pups or hounds to get a go one, not every cross will get you good hounds, but as long as we are foxhunters, we will feed what kind of hounds we like and we will alway try to get that "Super Dog". Happy Hunting!

Are most guinea bred dogs hyper?

I ask that because most of them I've been around have been.

Gary , I will try to answer your question, but could you elaberate on what you mean by most guniea bred dogs hyper.

1 2