​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

MASTERFOX
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Flowers bred hounds?

Does anyone know where there are any Flowers bred hounds? Are there any still around?

Re: Flowers bred hounds?

there's still plenty(i assume)on east coast.i have a gyp off a johnny sullivan dog that was all flowers.i researched back to 1940's and found 492 crosses of coy flowers in his pedigree with 8 dogs i could't go back on due to missing magazines.this gyp's dam is haggin-raider bred.she is color of a lot of flowers dogs-golden or yellow.she had mates to run on outside that wouldn't run deer

i think some still on east coast.i have gyp off johnny sullivan's flowers stock.i researched into 1940's and found 492 crosses of coy flowers.her dam is haggin-raider.yellow-golden color like some old flowers dogs.

Coach, years ago I had a friend that lived at Wellston OK by the name of Steve Wolford (spelling is wrong) He use to keep some flower bred dogs.He would breed some dog with a man in ARK. by the last name of Goodnight,hope this helps.

I remember hearing my dad talk about them. I think it was Steve Wofford. If Im not mistaken he had a dog called Wofford's Red Frankie that was in lots of pedigrees. Was Mr Goodnight's first name Curtis? My dad had several hounds in the 80s with Flowers breeding. I had a few as well. My dad had a dog out of Hi Class Red Johnny that was a very good hound. We raised lots of good pups from him. If anyone has some of the Flowers bred hounds or knows someone who does, I would like to have contact numbers if possible.

Just looked at old pedigree. Hi Class Red Johnny was out of Wofford's Red Frankie.

HUBERT GOODNITE IN OK IS WHO YOU ARE LOOKING --I HAVE SOME OF IT IN A LOT OF MY HOUNDS - HE 'S BEEN DEAD FOR 32 YEARS ABOUT AND ITS GETTING HARD TO FIND A LOT OF IT ANYMORE -DAVID BAILEY

OLE POND CREEK BULLET AND KILLER HAD AS MUCH OF IT AS ANY DOGS EXCEPT SOME OF MINE THAT HAVE DONE ANYTHING OF LATE - THEY WAS FIVE CROSSES IN THEM THAT WENT BACK TO JW AND TO COY --DAVID BAILEY

Coach you are right is is spelled Wofford,I can tell you for sure that Red Franky could run the fire out of a coyote.I listed to him and his litter mates and some young dogs out of him run one night, he was getting older but still got his fair share of the race.
I never did here Hi Class Red Johnny run but did judge some hunts with Mike and Kay, both very nice people.

Yes they are. They still live in Harrison, Ar area. When they got out of the hound business they tore down the kennels and Mike built an art studio where kennels were I think. He is very talented with his drawings. My dad (Fate McElroy) had a hound he called Hi Class Red Billy that was out of Johnny and Jim's Lemon Drop. He got Billy as a puppy from Jim Lawrence just about the time Mike bought Red Johnny. Billy could run his game and had a knack for running it up close. Wasn't a speed demon but other dogs had a hard time getting between him and his game. My dad raised alot of hounds from him. He crossed really well on Pickett bred females. Probably the best cross was on a gyp that was off of Quachita Playboy. Best outside hound I ever had was from that cross.

I really believe that some of those hounds would have done really well in these 3 hour hunts we have now in the pens. I know I would love to have the gyp off of Billy and the Playboy female right now to run in 3 hour hunts. I might do alot more traveling... Ha

Hi Coach, this is Dan Swofford. I dont have any hounds any more but I was once very active in the hound world. YOur post caught my eye because I just got done reading a book called Lost Flowers. It was about Percy Flowers and his life, it talked alot about his hounds and his life style. It was a great book! I know this has nothing to do with your post, but I do know that the Flowers breeding was good. I bet if you look deep enough you will find it in most of breeding on the east coast. From reading the book Mr. Flower's was in the buisness of winning... meaning he wanted a fast tough dog. Not an easy combination to maintain as you are probly are aware of. God bless Dan

I have seen ads promoting the book. Thats actually what got me to thinking about the Flowers breeding and thinking back to the ones I knew about. Wish I had some contact numbers for people who might have some of the breeding still. I have a number for Mr Goodnight and plan to call him. I understand he still loves to talk about the Flowers breeding.

Coach MC, Mr Goodnite live's in Mayflower & hunts in Grapevine & Sheridan pens, I think he still has some flowers breeding in his hounds, and he is a walking book on flowers breeding.real joy to visit with.

Thats what I hear. Was also told he has a hard time hearing on the phone but that most of the conversation would be me listening anyway. Ha... I may just load up and go visit with him in person sometime...

Coach I am sure that is the MR. Goodnite that Steve bred some dogs with, good luck, hope you find some of the blood lines you want.

I think you would like it crossed on some of the modern blood lines.

Sorry to but in but i know the story of Percy Flowers very well, my father was Hubert Watts and Percy took a liking to him and gifted quite a number of these hounds in the hopes that dad would cross it with his haggin lines. however dad would never breed these lines as Herman Paugh told him theres only two types of breeding line breeding and in breeding line breedings when it works and in breedings when it doesnt and you have to know what to kill. the last of this blood that i know of was kept by my fathers brother Stephen Watts in Ontario Canada. I have personally run these hounds and can tell you they are high flying hounds were partial to fox over coyotes and couldnt keep feet on them, decent dogs in general but not a cold nosed dog that i remember.I hope i havent offended anyone but when you were raised running Streaker Haggin there arent many dogs that compare. The problem you will find today is the young lads for the most part dont understand breeding and bloodlines. I still have all the old pedigrees showing where todays blood comes from but these lads are to lazy to visit past pedigrees to see where their blood comes from and without a lot of research they are destined
to have average dogs

Mr. Swofford where could someone find the book Lost Flowers? Are the books for sale or can it be found online?
I have a friend that is almost eighty now he was my FFA Advisor and introduced me to dog hunting when I was twelve or thirteen years old his name is James D Revell. He bought three hounds from Mr. Flowers, one female and two males about forty something years ago. These hounds were off of a dog called Outlaw. If I remember right Mr Revell told me the females mama was named Dixie Garner. I saw the pedigree on these hounds shortly after Mr. Revell purchased these hounds. Last time I spoke with Mr. Jimmy Revell he said due to his age and health, plus the fact that he had gotten out of big dogs and had been breeding and raising beagles for several years, either he or his wife had misplaced his walker pedigrees. There was a red BB male that was a cold nosed deer dog by day and a fox dog at night. The tri-colored female was the same way as her half brother. I liked her better than any walker female that I have hunted outside with. She was a dog killer in a fox race as well as a outstanding deer dog. The other male was a cream colored bb, outstanding fox dog and never ran a deer he was born broke. Mr. Revell Met Percy Flowers while on a vacation to the Smokey Mountains. He later returned and purchased these hounds. He bred several good hounds from the flowers bloodline. These hounds had sense, speed, toughness, nose, and looked classy. Mr. Revell told me on several different occasions that Mr. Frank Dunn form Georgia offered to buy the female. He never sold her. These hounds were a pleasure to hunt with, they really made you look forward to watching them hunt, trail, jump, and run their game. I would post Mr. Revells Ph. number but he wears hearing aids and can't hear very well.

Just a little history about three Flowers hounds that came to Florida and made us Hunters that had the opportunity to hunt with them excited about Flowers Hounds. At this time I thought these were the best I'd ever seen.

Jeff Suber 850 694 1424

mr suber--(LOST FLOWERS AT AMAZON.COM)will get you to it.