​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

MASTERFOX
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Di-methox?

How much di-methox would you add to a gallón of water as a preventitve for coccidia in 9 week old pups?thnks in advance

Re: Di-methox?

Jack Floyd
Jul 25, 2013 - 10:58AM
Quote Reply Re: Bad stools
I ain't no know-it-all by any means, but I have raised a lot of puppies and have had my fair share of bad luck in doing so.
Here is what I THINK: The throwing up clear stuff and not eating, ultimately resulting in death, is Parvo. While we vaccinate our puppies with the best vaccine we can find, the virus still occurs from time to time because there are SO many different strains of viral infections. It's like washing our hands every 15 minutes and still getting a common cold.

The strawberry or grape jelly stool closely resembles coccidiosis, and Lord knows I have had my share of that. But if you know how to treat it it really ain't no big deal. Puppies will most often snap right out of it and get back to growing.

Coccidiosis is not a parasite, it's actually one of many common bacterial infections, it's just most often the most severe. The good thing about treating for coccidiosis is when we treat, we are treating for all bacterial infections, even those we may not know are present. It makes for a much healthier puppy.

Albon 5% is the most effective treatment but it's very expensive, $93 for 16oz. I make my own generic Albon 5% by mixing 40% Sulfadimethoxine (12.5%) and 60% Dyne Dietary Supplement. I use a measuring cup to put 4oz of Sulfadimethoxine and 6oz of Dyne into a container the total volume is then 10oz which equates to 40% and 60% or Albon 5% suspension. For smaller doses you can use a 12ml syringe and put 4ml of Sulfa and 6ml of Dyne.
Jeffers has the Sulfadimethoxine 12.5% for $36.75 per gallon and the Dyne for about $44 per gallon. You can probably find smaller quantities on-line and save a bunch of money but I just always buy both by the gallon.

Once again, here is the recipe and dosage for generic Albon 5%:
40% Sulfadimethoxine (12.5%) and 60% Dyne Dietary Suppliment. Mix or shake well and give orally 10ml per 20lbs of body weight or .5ml per 1 pound for 3-5 days in a row, or until asymptomatic for 48 hours. I always give it for 5 days. Fasting is not necessary and I have never had any problems with giving them too much or overdosing.

I hope this helps!

I will say this I am not a no it all either , here is what I say about cocidia , as for mixing dyne with sulfa , I have never mixed it always use it straight down the throat, abt a quarter of cc down the throat and it will be history in the morn, albon is ok but it don't work overnite, sulfa is very nasty tasting to them and they wont like it but it is 100% effective against coccidian I have raised hundreds of pups and I keep it on hand, sour feed, and milk will give it to them, corid in the water will also kill cocidia one forth of a cup of corid to 1 gallon of water, and they must drink it all without adding water to dilute it, it will kill cocidia, but the sulfa is the best, my opinion albon is weak and takes way to long, sulfa and corid is sold in the Jeffers book

I have found out that keeping a pen clean using dawn anti bacterial soap everyday with a good scrubing on the floor will help with everything, dogs can eat a lot of nasty stuff and not get sick, being there saliva will kill a lot of nastiness ,but when the quanty of what they eat is more than there saliva can kill there gona get stomach problems, grown dogs can get messed up from eating nasty stuff very fast, seen it to many times , and have seen a vet diagnose a hound with kidney failure due to the the dog eating nasty stuff, that was a severe case of guardia, febendazol such as panacur, or safeguard, will wipe this out , 5 days of using it 1cc per 10 pounds