​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

MASTERFOX
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Breeding

Has anyone ever bred a male back to his aunt or a female to her uncle. Is this to close? What are your opinions.

Re: Breeding

Btt

I have a female that is the product of an uncle/niece cross. She is a good hound and has produced good offspring so my opinion is it is an OK thing to do. I also think linebreeding is the only way to get consistency in a breeding program.

If you are pleased with the two hounds that you want to breed then go far it when it works they call it line breeding when it don't they call it in breeding. I would breed even closer if both the parents were outstanding hounds

Btt

If you will read up on linebreeding a little you will find alot of genetics guys think that breeding a niece to an uncle is the way it should be done in hounds. My dad taught me when breeding hounds the sire's sire should be the dam's grandsire. I'm not young but I'm a youth when it comes to breeding dogs and certainly no expert but I know dad always said breeding hounds was like breeding thoroughbreds not quarter horses so you didn't linebreed hounds as tight.

Jason, my grandfather bred a female off his main hound to a grandpup off his main houd years ago and had a outstanding litter of dogs. it might have been luck but it work back then.

I'm a firm believer in the ya gotta breed em tight to get em right breeding philosophy!

You rite Steve o , and put them on a tread mill and go get drunk !!!!! Lol