​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

Masterfox Message
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What is these hunts going to

I look on here an see 3 hour hunt after 3 hour hunt 75 too 250 dollars a dog what happen to the 5 hour 40 to 50 dollar a dog hunt most will not an can not afford to go to them hunt where I use to take 3 to 4 dogs to a hunt now I may take one maybe I think these pens are loveing this they keep more money less dogs less hours u know its great for them all this is doing is putting the little man out of it one more thing u see a hunt on here the results come out then u see there was no running no game no judges we need to hold these pen responsible we pay a lot to do this if know there is no game don't have a hunt I know of one pen in south ms that pen owners can take notes from I will not name but everyone that has been there can tell u game is never a problem r running r judges I is just frustrating u go to a hunt they only has a few piece of game but they got hand out to take your money

Re: What is these hunts going to

my answer to that is do not go to the hunts when you know there is no game in the pen. check out the pen before the hunt. I have a pen and I try to keep a good amount of game at all times, but sometime that not easy to do at every pen. it is not a easy task to keep plenty of game and have it in top condition for a field trial. I prefer a 8 hrs. hunt, mainly because I have had good luck with them. I do not have 3 hrs. hunts.

Mr Leroy ya need to have a derby and all age four hour in your pen. Really like your pen

I agree a working man can't hardly go to a trial anymore with cost of entry fees... lower the entry a lil an u get more hounds an fellowship

We are putting on a 5 hour at $60 a head. But if we would have went any lower it wouldn't pay out worth a flip. After paying the pen owner his fee and paying for breakfast and lunch to cook, you don't have much prize money. The pen owners fees where we will hold ours are a good price, but who wants to drive 6 hours to win a couple hundred. I want to be able to pay out a good prize to as many positions as possible.

If we are having a money hunt, I dont want breakfast or lunch served that takes money from the pot. How aboout a money hunt where you come you run, call it out quick and then you can eat. I know of guys who put on hunts dont pay jack back and then say well I had 400 dollars in dinner. thats bs. you can feed your judges every town has a hardees, 5 dollar sacks , while they add it up. Pay me then I'll go eat.

I'm partners with one other person in a fox pen and have been involved in either owning or helping keep one running for 12 years now. What many people don't realize is the expenses involved . 1st there is the lease itself , they can be pretty expensive. Then you have to stock the pen with game that is also expensive , 60.00 to 75.00 each then you have to feed that game. In our case it costs us about 80.00 a week just to keep it fed. That's 52 weeks a year. Then figure in the labor involved keeping the fence hot after storms etc. Don't get me wrong , I'm not whining , I dearly love our sport , but it is very expensive from our end as well. It cost Steve and myself about 13,000 dollars a year to keep ours running. We don't have many hunts but when we do we always pay back around 75 % after food and drink expenses. I can only speak from my experience. Other pens may have a different situation , but it is expensive.

If you are coming just to run your dogs then get money and leave, then our hunts may not be the place. The breakfast and the lunch are the times for fellowship. I expect to spend $150 dollars for a good meal. That's $2.50 a dog if you have 60 hounds in the hunt. That is worth the time for the fellowship. With out it, what is the point? It is the only time some of get to see friends and talk dogs. It is also a good time to make friends. FUN!!! what happened to it.

I agree with Mr.Robinson. I feed 40 coyotes .They eat just like a hound and same feed as my hounds. I got tired poor mouthing and stopped hunts in my 400 acre pen. NowI run with who I want. Dont need poor mouthers round me.Pen owners hav lots bills.All hunts need be 100 a dog. That cut down on sorry entries.A man will bring his best then. Dnt get mad poor mouthers you need the pen owner more he needs you.

Buy or lease land, clear r/w, put fence and gates up , stock the pen with game, condition game for running, maintain roads and fence, repairs from storm damage in all kind of weather, feed the game and worm it regular, electric bill and water, and insurance. You better love this sport and not plan on making a living at it. As a pen owner my hats off to all pen owners for the expense and time they put into it. A big thanks to all of you for giving everybody a place to enjoy this great sport. These expenses are every month besides the extra work of putting on a hunt and finding good judges that give there time. They too need a bunch of thank you's.

Larry I agree with u all I am saying is these hunts being so high entry fee where a man would bring a few dogs with that entry fee being so high he won't go at all an to pen owner you said that all hunts should be 100 dollars a dog to cut down on the sorry dogs there I see u do not know what u r talking about because I love all the sorry dogs as. U say because they don't pressure the game All I saying is yes I know pen r expensive but u use to pull up to a hunt an there be. Over 100 doge there now with the entry fee being so high there may be 30 so if the entry was lower more will be there pen still makes what it needs to make like John said to feed the hunters it don't cost that much that says think u to the hunters for support your hunt because they did not have to come there.

bill , if you got dogs cant stay in race and dnt do anything but chew on a bayed coyote wat do they need be at a trial.I hav killed more my
own sorry dogs than most hav tried raise. Quality and quanity . You never had a sorry houndBut I hav .And i didnt pay an entry fee for it. Your are right,I dont knw wat I am talking about.It sounds like you do and need a big pen full game take care of.

gents
lower entry fee so you can afford too take more dogs is just like going with a lot of numbers trying to win the lottery when one is all that will work.
with the hound end of the spectrum if you got one that can get his nose breathing the same air as the coyote and sling dirt in hounds face for five hours give that 100.oo entry fee and wait for the dicision to be read chances are you will like it...
ONLY TAKES ONE IF ITS THE RIGHT KIND.

I try to put on a good hunt and try to keep the entry fee at a fair amount. I pay back around 60 per cent and keep 40 percent. this way pay back is good for the hunters and I make some money to keep the pen going. mr. colvin is right, there is more expense to running a pen that most hunters think. therefore I do what I have to do to run a good pen. I find most of my night hunters are very satisfy with the weekly running and our trials have been very good.