​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

Masterfox Message
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
hounds not in H.O.F.

Is there reason for Ray Raider,Flying Clowd,Hi Doctor,a hound that won 5 state dual ch, any many others who are the back bone of the breed,not being members of H.O.F.?What is H.O.F. for,modern hounds or great hounds in history?Who votes on these things?

Re: hounds not in H.O.F.

I could not agree more. The HOF is about modern hounds it seems. There is not a hound living today that doesnt go back to Ray Raider, Wildwood JO JO, Haggin, Hub Dawson, The Mark S. hounds, The Picketts, Etc. I would Say that Ray Raider was the greatest influence of any hound that ever lived.

It seems a shame to over look the past.Our generation didnt invent the foxhound.No body will know Ray Raider in 30 years.Or Dash Rip Rock.He got forgot fast.I know he has not been gone long but he seemed passed over for lesser sires.Thats my opinion only.I think Dash is in most blood now like Ray.They both get little respect.

who picks h.o.f. ? anybody know?

FIRST ONE THIRD OF 1900,S MOST RELAVENT HOUNDS.
big stride
flying cloud
ray raider
hub dawson
champ clark
cyrano
low cloud
flying heels
ch calvin
john branham
war cry

NEXT PHASE
buzzard wing
billie bristol
big jester
coy flowers
dawson stride
ch master jo
howard pickett
ch hi doctor
haggin
tom crowe
haggin jr

HERE
is where your liquors,buddy watts and up in too what you are breeding now came from if they are walker bred.
p.s.even old red liquor was by a (hub dawson) dog and a (big stride) matron.
nothing on these lists did more for the walker strain than those two.

Thank you N.N.F.A.R. That is a nice list of historical info. Those hounds and thier pup and the men who bred them need a bit of praise now and then.Thank you for honoring them this morning. Those sires are real famed hounds.

good list you did nnfar.

when you lived it before fast cars and highways, woven wire fences, ignorant land owners,fifty deer on every acre of ground and a few more things i could mention like the urban sprawl.
when your pedigrees were loaded with those great hounds up close and personal
like mine were they could turn culls on you at midnight would take them just short time to get reset then when the nite sounds changed from whipporwills and hoot owls to blue jays and crows the result would be the same,it was a wonderful thing too see and hear.
two things sad about this is younger generation will never see it like the old days,and it makes the one writing about it an old coot but i would not change a thing.

NNFAR'S list of sires is undeniable.Pups and dams off them are why the hunters today enjoy success .Why not hav a place in H.O.F. to these?I was glad to see the names in print.If not they will fade away forever.The old men and magazine stories are about gone.

It's info like this that I really enjoy reading. I like history of the breeding

not all of us youngins are in the dark....I am running hounds outside escusivly here in central Illinois that I can get to ray raider and howerd pickett in 7 0r 8 generations multiple times...the fox don't seem to run as well as I remember in 1973 when I was 4 years old but they can sure burn a coyote in the cornfield, the fox seem to run about 30 minitues and go in the hole...gentilemen im 45 years old now and ill agree it has changed ...but I don't think all is lost just yet....sam

oops talked to quick its between 9 and 11 gens... and that's a bunch

When they were asking for nominations on the computer did anyone nominate them for HOF?

Years back when it first came about Ray was and flying cloud.But no interest then.

who was put in last year?I never saw.

who picks ?

Until you put in 5 or 6 hounds per year you will never get the ones in there that deserve to be there.This one per year dont add up.

Mr.Almand, I do not see the old dogs going in.Just too many guys hav no idea about the past.And it's not thier fault.How could they? But as long as guys like you keep the hounds names in mind they will still be around.Possibly men with more old hound knowledge were involved at the start of hof things would be different.You and a few others took time to reflect.Would made those old dead breeders proud.