​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

Masterfox Message
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Coyote and the Hound

The Coyote and the Hound

This is a story of two hunters -- kind of like the Disney classic ‘ The Fox and the Hound’ but hopefully without the inaccurate attribution of human qualities to animals.
I live in the country. When I was a boy it was inhabited with a rather large number of red fox, a few deer and a hundred snowshoe rabbits in every cedar swamp. There were scores of European hares (jack rabbits) living in the fence lines and fields.
Today, there are a few red fox, living on the fringes of their previous range; digging their dens beside highways and villages and paying the price in dead fox pups. There are a few snowshoe rabbits. Their numbers ebb and flow in typical cycles, but in far, far fewer numbers. A jack rabbit sighting is a rare, rare occurrence.
There are a LOT more deer than there used to be, but not as many as say, then years ago.
What there are a lot of is coyotes --. coyotes in the woods; in the fields on the fringes of towns and in remote areas far from human habitation. I can remember older hunters talking about the first ones they saw – some had no idea what they were. Now everyone knows what they are. They’ve heard their wild song at night. They’ve had encounters – some pleasurable, some painful.
Coyotes.
He has keen eyes and ears and a radar nose. He runs with a combination of speed and endurance that few in the animal kingdom can match. If you corner him, he fights with a ferocity that is much bigger than his body weight. He eats pretty much anything that won’t eat him. He is a hunter.
As a hunter, he has often run aground of popular opinion. His method of procuring lamb chops is a bit more messy than picking them up at the local grocery store. He ingests cuddly rabbits and squirrels .He will pursue and kill white tail deer, particularly if snow conditions favor him. If his numbers increase and wild prey becomes scarce he isn’t averse to adding the occasional cockapoo to the menu. He will swallow calico cats with relish. He adapts.
His propensity for hunting has gotten him in all sorts of trouble with men. He has been hunted, trapped, poisoned for generations. He survives. He is a hunter. He doesnn’t want or need your pity or your acceptance or your admiration. He wants to be left alone. I believe, to a certain degree, I understand him. I am a hunter.
As a hunter, I do not love the coyote. I do not hate him. I admire his grit and his guile and his gait.
The animal I do have affection for is the fox hound. We call them fox hounds but with the diminishment of red foxes and the proliferation of coyotes, it might be more accurate to call them coyote hounds.
Your coyote hound is 40 pounds of grit, speed, endurance and intelligence. He has long ears, warm eyes and an independent streak that generations of domestication hasn’t erased. He has a certain aloofness that retrievers and herd dogs and guard dogs don’t possess.
He would, literally, rather hunt than eat. He is a hunter. He welcomes human affection but can live quite well without it. In the end, he prefers to be in wild, open spaces with nothing between him and his quarry – the coyote – but speed and nerve and will.
Coyote hounds are declining in numbers. Urban sprawl, the increased traffic that accompanies it; the ‘city’ mentality that urban dwellers who sell their city homes and move to cheaper housing in the country bring with them; political correctness and the Disney world view have all combined to work against the coyote hound – and his human companion.
Farmers, particularly those whose sheep or calves became coyote fare often welcome coyote hounds and hunters -- the urban transplant with his two acres and ‘don’t walk on my grass’ mentality – not so much.
A certain group of people – Peta etc. – have sized up the situation and decided that the coyote definitely needs some help. I guess their agenda is to see a healthy coyote behind every tree and the extinction of those nasty hounds and hunters. They may be well on their way to getting their wish.
They hope and plan to eliminate all hunting – hounds and hunters alike – everywhere. For now they are focusing a lot of their attention, finances and bile on training areas – larger fenced in areas from 20 to 2,000 acres stocked with coyotes and red fox.
They classify the pursuit of coyotes and fox in these areas by hounds as a blood sport – like bull-fighting, dog and **** fighting and Middle East terrorism.
The truth of the matter is hound owners who participate in Saturday night runs with a few friends and the occasional field trial want to assess the speed, endurance and honesty of their hounds and there is only one means to do that – a healthy, live coyote.
Is the occasional coyote or fox killed in these places? Yes. To answer differently would be a lie and that field is best left to PETA and their ilk.
Ministry biologists have told me that the life expectancy of a red fox in the wild is 14-months. I assume a coyote would be approximately the same. Very few wild animals die a natural death after a prolonged life. Highways, steel traps, predators and disease combine to thin the herds.
I have seen distinctively-marked coyotes that have lived and flourished for years in training areas with heavy use and several annual field trials held there. They are fed regularly, inoculated against rabies and mange and parvo etc. when introduced to the enclosure and regularly treated to prevent mange and other diseases by medicating their food supply.
They are provided with escape areas – culverts that allow the coyote to enter a small tube and turn around. Most hounds foolish enough to press the issue advance in single file and retreat with facial wounds and an aversion to culverts.
At a ‘catch’ hunters will do their utmost to rescue the coyote and pen owners are extremely protective of their investment in the game stocked in these enclosures. In short, everything possible is done to keep the coyote healthy and alive. It is the chase that matters. PETA members don’t seem to understand this. Every true hound man does.
Members of the Coyote-Protection-Industry have spewed fictional statements like ‘ They don’t feed the hounds for three days before a field trial so they will be hungry enough to catch and eat coyotes.’
The truth is both coyotes and hounds are well fed and rested before trials. The purpose of field trials is to better the breed through competition.
In short, coyote hounds, hunting and field trials may not be for everyone. However anyone with a speck of knowledge and objectivity will realize that training enclosures
have been forced upon hunters because of urban sprawl, traffic increases and effective propaganda by the ‘Animal Rights Groups’.
Any true hounds man would prefer the wide open spaces of another time. That time has come and gone and for many, training enclosures are all that’s left.
Again, the coyote is a wonderful, adaptable animal who can and will hold his own under any conditions. He is a fellow hunter – not to be deified or vilified – but to be confronted by another hunter – the coyote hounds.
The wild music of the chase; the fluidity of pursued and pursuers and the chess game of wits between intelligent animals is what drives and sustains those of us who love the chase.
I do not approve of cities. I’d like to eliminate the traffic jams, pollution, crime, drug problems etc. that proliferate there. However, there are people who love life in the cities. I hope they can work to make them the best possible environment for the way of life that they have chosen.
We, as hound owners, would like to be afforded that same opportunity.

Re: The Coyote and the Hound

very well said

Best post I've read on here in a long time.

I'd go to bat with you any time.

True Grit
Jonathan

Eric/Jane,Proud to call you my Friend,Excellent read.I hope before to many moons pass we will be able to sit and chat and listen to the music we all love.

GOOD POST!

Very well said and to the point !! Wonder how much PETA does to help people in need. Fox and coyote hunters will give their last penny to help someone in need !!!!

A very good read!!! Thank you for sharing .

Now, getting down to business I need to write a TRUE ,factual, novel about the July Hound, the best breed of fox hound ever! I now know where I can recruit some published help

Thanks for sharing. Hey Mr. Rodney let me know when you get that book published, I want one.

Enjoyed reading this. The best post I have seen on here in a while. Wish we had more of this.

Very good post thanks for shearing

Really enjoyed reading that. Thanks for sharing .

Thanks guys, that was right on the money!

ERIC, WE MUST BE ABOUT THE SAME AGE.OH IF WE COULD JUST GO BACK TO THOSE GOOD OLD DAYS GOOD POST. THANKS LEON

btt

Thanks for such a great post & so very true. Hope it opens some closed bias eyes to what we do & are about!

Very good read. I agree that the world is growing around us hunters. it would be nice if we could go back to simpler times

Excellent piece. It would make a good "op ed" for publication in many southern newspapers (a good place to start would be in VA where fenced enclosures are under attack...again!).

But come on Eric....tell the truth. Jane wrote this for you, didn't she? She just let you put your name on it to make you feel good. Right?

Hope to see yall soon - I need a fast male off a Diesel gyp! Come on, help me out brother!

Preston, I did the writing, but Jane corrected my spelling. Man, I wish I had a fast Diesel male. You'd be welcome to use him. There are some fast male hounds in Canada right now, unfortunately none of them are mine.

Very well said I being a Fla dog hunter it hard to believe you can own 5 acres or thousands more they tell us we get a fine if ur dog gets on some one land so we put a fence around it an now u cant run your dogs how can they stop u I don't understand.surely there away around that they say its enclose what if we leave the gates open an some of us sit there its not enclose so what can they say.looks like there would be a lawyer that could beat that.

Very good Eric..i haven't been on site for along time...reading this with a beagle at my feet...2 beagles..1 rotty left....hope it doesn't snow for the rideau hunt this weekend..lol..Paul

Paul, It didn't snow, but it rained hard enough and cold enough to almost make us wish it did.

Great post-only the true and seasoned hunters know what we lost with our outside hunting. The pens are certainly better than nothing, but do not compare with races on the outside and the ability of the hounds. Thanks to all houndsmen for supporting our sport.

I GUESS I AM EXTREAMLY LUCKY THAT I STILL GET TO RUN ON THE OUTSIDE LIKE I DO...WHEN YOU PULL UP TO THE HOUSE PROBABLY 8 OR 10 HOUNDS WILL COME MEETING YOU...