​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

Masterfox Message
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Purina

I heard Purina was no longer going to be helping with anything related to Foxhunting as Peta was pressuring Nestle (Purina's coorporate owner) to do so. Can anyone with knowledge of this please enlighten the rest of the hunters.

Re: Purina

Sure would like to know myself so i can stop supporting them if its true

look at the pictures of placing hounds from the Top Gun. At the bottom the sponsors are listed. Right beside Johnson's Telemetry you will see a piece of duct tape. Its covering up "Purina". They removed their sponsorship after the banner was printed....take a look for yourself

Where are the pictures?

If I'm not mistaken Heath Howell copied some from someone's facebook page and posted them on the message board a week or so ago.

PETA may help in some way,it does not serve the average hound hunters purpose , I only hope Purina realizes we buy the DOG FOOD not peta. I like and feed purina but all that can change at any time. an a lot of you feel the same way. Fox HUNTER

how the heck does PETA help in any way?????????

Like to know if this true feeding bag pup chow every week. Will never buy a bag of purina again.

Everyone should quit buying their products, let's see how much feed PETA buys! PETA is like the HSUS it's great if you are one of the fat cats knocking down a hugh salary, that is where most of the money goes. I have bought my last!

Look at Heath Howell's post on Oct 23 2013 under the topic "Top Gun". The pictures posted are of the placing hounds. The table the hounds are standing on has the Top Gun banner. Below the Logo is says Sponsored by: Johnson's Telemetry & a________. there is a piece of tape covering the name "Purina". They pulled their name off the sponsorship after the banner was printed. I'd copy and past for you to see but I don't know how to copy and paste a picture....

we need to support the companies that support us. showtime has been good to us.

Showtime, Pride, Black Gold, Purina and others have been good to us......

It's a shame corporate is caving to radical's pressure.

But so did a Miami real estate developer - when he guided their wildlife department to shut down the fox pens.

We will not buy anything with the Nestle or Purina name on it again !!!! Hope every fox hunter does the same !!!! Jim Eastman

That my friend is SAD SAD SAD. I have bought my last.

I would think before you Stop buying Purina.
You would get the facts!!!!
Instead of info from a NO NAME Hunter!!!!!
Stirring the Sh.....

Looks to me like the Pot is calling the Kettle black, don't you think "Facts".

Sounds like we need to ask a PURINA REP what's going on. Anybody know who to contact .

I saw Steve Dacota in the picture . Maybe he can tell us why all that duck tape was on the bag . I'm just saying !

Plus why would the feed even be there . I don't even feed Purina but I'm like Facts we need to know . What about it Steve ?

nestle/purina pet care company
st louis mo.
314 982 1000

Your right ! Call them and get the word first hand . Good point !

Don't forget Sunshine Mills. They make excellent feed and the Kennedy's are dog people

Danny, I really don't know. Purina was having some corporate meetings about it this week and hope to have a answer soon. Showtime, Pride, Specialty Feeds and Purina, have been great supporters of Field Trialing. I hope they handle this in a way that they can continue to have a relationship with Foxhunters but the old saying is Business is Business. They will do what they have to do I guess, and we will do what we have to, and hope we all stay friends, because Business is Business.
What little I know is that they were blindsided by a letter that portrayed an inaccurate picture of our sport. They wanted to look at it and meet about it. I know some of the higher ups in Purina and they are great guys, hoping for the best..

Danny, how have u been my friend

Thanks for that info Steve . I'm doing fine but not great . I'm blessed and I'll take it . If I can train me a couple GOOD hounds I plan to see u all at some field trials .

It's interesting that this topic has come to the forefront of our attention. Just last night I was watching an extremely interesting segment on Farmers and Ranchers and their fight vs HSUS. The show that I was watching premiered this couple of 5th generation ranchers from South Dakota. This couple took to social media to stand up and fight HSUS and their efforts to destroy farming and ranching. Their efforts are justly impacting HSUS injustices vs farmers and ranchers. http://advocatesforag.com/

We need to start advocating our sport just as the farmers and ranchers of the world are doing. I am sure many farmers and ranchers would be interested in knowing Purina's affiliation with HSUS. Quoted from Purina Mills Website "The Purina Mills Animal Nutrition of today offers hundreds of products for horses, cattle, goats, swine, poultry, rabbits, game animals, exotics and many more. In fact, if it walks, crawls, swims or flies then there is a good chance Purina Mills Animal Nutrition has a product designed to meet the animal's nutritional needs."

The foxhunting world boycotting purchases of products from Purina will result in a small reduction in market share but if we stand together with activists such as the Advocates for Ag we can make a greater influence…

John Allen of black gold was a real ******* to us when we asked for donations for our hunt he told us not to call back

I don't know what was said or happened but I have had many dealings with John Allen Co-Owner of Black Gold Dog Food. He has always tried to go above and beyond to help fellow dog owners. I can see him saying if you don't feed Black Gold then why are you asking them for a donation instead of your own dog food company.... I'm sure with this economy it's getting harder for all companies to do as much as they have in the past. Quitting sponsorship due to economy is understandable, quitting because of PETA pressure is not understandable at all!!!!

Facts from the 2013 Johnson's Telemetry Top Gun Secretary/Treasurer

1. Within 24 hours of my return home the results, pictures, and write up were sent to the Hunter's Horn and posted on this website and on MY Facebook page.

2. Steve Ducote was NOT at the 2013 Johnson's Telemetry Top Gun - the picture above is from the Masters. I have sent a picture of the 2013 Top Gun winners to this site, but as of yet, it has not been posted.

3. Two days before I was to leave for the hunt, the president of the hunt, David Bailey and I were informed by Purina representative that Purina did not desire to be a visual presence at the Top Gun, thus the tape over their name on the banner. I ordered the banner, the Top Gun paid for it - we actually had two of them. There was also no confirmation on what amount of dog food, if any that Purina would be awarding to the winners, so to be fair to Johnson's Telemetry - who was and IS a prevalent sponsor, David and I made the call to cover Purina's name on the banner.

4. It was conveyed to us that there was a "letter" written to corporate from the Humane Society.

5. It was also told to us there were concerns that either the Humane Society or PETA were set to make an appearance at the 2013 Johnson's Telemetry. They did not.

6. The 2013 Johnson's Telemetry Top Gun was held October 17-19, we ran for 3 days at Tar River Fox Preserve. We awarded nearly 10 thousand dollar's in cash and prizes from Johnson's Telemetry, Showtime, Pride, Johnson's Dog Supplies, Debbie Johnson, Moose Jowers and Randy McGovern, Mike Carr, Wally and Denise Johnson to the top 10. We had a nice meal on Thursday night courtesy of the Top Gun and David Bailey. We had an outstanding "Thank You for Coming" party on Friday night with David Cooler and band in which we all enjoyed. James Ray and Tar River were very gracious hosts and went above and beyond to help make this a success.

I would ask that while on a pubic forum for the entire world to see, that we focus on the positive. I will continue to be an advocate for the Top Gun and for hunting. The facts above are given within my area of expertise and knowledge which is that of this hunt's secretary/treasurer and I was there. Any concerns you have about Purina and their interests, I would strongly encourage you to contact your Purina representatives or someone at the address listed above as I cannot speak for them. You should find them courteous and helpful as I always have.

I would also suggest that you support those that support us and in turn, support one another. Again people, let's focus on the positive and just move on.

Robin thanks for the info ! I didn't really have a dog in the hunt to start with but I'm a fellow Foxhunter . Thanks for the facts !

Purina Mills is in no way affiliated or owned by Nestle Purina. "Mills" does not make and sell the "Purina" brand dog feed foxhunters use.

Purina Mills licenses the Purina and Chow Brands for the United States and its territories (including Puerto Rico) from the successor of the Ralston Purina Company and owner of the trademarks, Nestlé Purina PetCare.

Purina Mills does not make and sell dog and/or cat food.

On December 12, 2001, Ralston Purina Company was acquired by Nestlé S.A. Ralston Purina was then merged with a subsidiary of Nestlé. The resulting company, Nestlé Purina PetCare Company, is not a publicly traded company. Nestlé Purina is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Nestlé Holdings, Inc., which is owned by Nestlé S.A., Avenue Nestlé 55, 1800 Vevey, Switzerland.
General Office

Nestlé Purina PetCare Company
Checkerboard Square
St. Louis, Missouri 63164
(314) 982-1000

It doesn't take a rocket scientist go to the Purina dog food website go all the way to the bottom there is a big Nestle logo on the page

Would like to know more about this. Do we know for sure that purina has stopped supporting the fox hounds??

Robin,
Very professional post
Thank you!

We were feeding close to 50 lbs per day of Purina products between the Puppy Chow, Dog Chow, and Pro Plan. Until I hear from Purina that they are willing to fully support the sport of foxhunting we are only going to buy from the companies that are not afraid to let the public know they support foxhunters. We are using Mid-South's Showtime 27-20 and Best Dog 24-20. I also recommend Caliber from Specialty Feeds. We have not fed Black Gold in a few years but they seem to have some nice high end feed that would be comparable to Pro Plan. The Pride is also a high quality feed that we have used and will buy again.

The sponsorships and donations are great but we can all live without them. What we need are corporate partners who will not cow down to PETA and HSUS. Unless something changes, Purina is not a partner that we can count on.

I've been feeding the Best Dog 24/20 for a couple months now & believe its hard to beat for the money!

I got a call about a week ago from a person in the know. Purina is backing away from the Fox Hunting scene. They had a meeting a few weeks ago. I guess my Purina Days are done.

I UNDERSTAND THAT I JUST WISH THAT THEY WOULD FULFILL THEIR COMMITMENT TO THE TOP GUN WINNERS AND SEND THEM THE FEED THAT THEY PROMISED TO THEM .. DAVID BAILEY

Don't feel bad, they promised feed to the winners of the western derby and never fulfilled that promise either

Just saw a Ad on the USA channel where purina pro plan is sponsoring the Westminster Kennel Club Dog
Show.

They still support coon hunters. They had a booth at the UKC Winter Classic two weeks ago in Batesville, Ms.

I have bought my last bag of Purina AND Nestles! That includes cow feed, horse feed, dog feed, breakfast cereal or chocolate. It is about time we stand up for our culture, traditions and way of life. Purina wants to be politically correct? Then we can be economically correct at the cash register. Lets all stick together on this! Vote against them with your dollar!!!

"Hightower", I agree,hit'em in the $$'s!! Showtime Feed,Tractor Supply Brand for my Fathers' horse needs and Dollar Store for Cereal and Oatmeal.Trying to wean my Wife of the Chocolate!! That's worse than weaning a Drunk off of Booze!!

Just out of curiosity all of the ones that are going to quit Purina which is fine with me but how many of you are using Garmin's & what have they ever sponsored or donated in the Foxhound World, last I heard they do not approve of our sport either. Purina did & has supported us.

Does Garmin answer to HSUS, PETA, and the other animal rights exstemists like Purina does? I'd like to hear about it if they do.

Also, it might be time for some big thinkers in the field trial community to sit down and take a realistic look at the way preserves are being run and the way our trials are being run. Surely somebody can figure out what it is about our sport that would cause major sponsors to pull out and major fox hunting states to be shut down by their own government. Of course, we could just keep doing things the same way and watch the sport crumble. That would be easier than making a few uncomfortable yet common sense changes to the way we operate. Somebody ask Purina what exactly made them withdraw their support. What could have been done differently that could have given them confidence in continuing their support for fox hunters.

My Son,Father in Law and I uses Johnson(Beep Beep)Systems;we each own a System. They have and ARE helping and donating all they can.

SOME GOOD P.R. WOULD HELP YOU ARE ON THE RITE TRACK IN MY OPINION..HEATH HOWELL

heath, in la., it has to do with politics and money. peta and humane societies put lots of money in the pockets of some politician. therefore it is hard to compete with them with the money they provide. now I agree with you that we could do some things better that could help but we lose the money battle. it hard getting 40 dollars each year out of hunters to fight for our rights. most hunters are their worst enemy. also in la., we can not get any dog hunter on the wildlife board to speak up for us. the reason is the governor appoint people who donate heavily to his campaign fund. therefore you back to money and politics. we have battle the forest service for over 5 yrs. trying to keep hunting rights.

Gentlemen, let's not stray from the point that a major feed company--PURINA--who has been enriched for years by farmers, ranchers, and dog hunters of all stripes has seen fit to turn its back on its patrons and customers at the mere suggestion of HSUS. HSUS does not like animal agriculture, rodeos, circuses with trick animals, livestock auction facilities and the like. They don't like foxpens period!!! It is not about how our sport is run behind the wire or on the outside. It is that we HAVE the sport of foxhunting..

The companies that knuckle under to these extremists are dillusional if they think they can satisfy the Antis by pulling sponsorship from sporting events and entertainment activities like state fairs and field trials. The ANTIs are against us because we do what we do with hounds and enjoy our sport.

Why should we ask the antis like HSUS to help us fix what they don't like about us? We are fully capable of doing what needs to be done--if it needs to be done. If we ask them, the antis will have us wearing our caps sideways and putting our panties on backwards, and still they will work to kill our sport.

As for Garmin not sponsoring the hunting events even though their biggest market is in the sporting dog world, it is because they don't have to!! They have no competition. If we only had one dog food company in the world, I am sure they wouldn't worry about marketing too much either.

That is not the case with Purina. They have consciously abandoned us, apparently because they feel they don't need us. I have abandoned them for the same reason.

1 2