​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

Masterfox Message
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Garmin alpha and marine radio ?

Is anybody burning up their alpha with a marine radio. I read somewhere that there's
A filter u can buy . Any ideas or suggestions because I just bought one and don't want to ruin it
Thanks Keith

Re: Garmin alpha and marine radio ?

Run the VHF on low power an it'll be fine. If there is a filter I'd like to know about it also.

I have had mine over a year and my radio won't go below 25 watts and it hasn't hurt it yet. Matt Stahl

The alpha is on a 154 frequency and the 320 and the 220 run on a 151 as long as u do not run close to these frequency u should be fine

Justin, how would a fellow know what frequency a Marine radio runs on? Is the information included with the radio's direction papers? Elsewhere? I have a new Alpha and I run my Marine radio on the LOW setting. Any further advice that you can inform us about? Thanks.

Marine Radios runs between 156.000 and 162.025 mhz

Hunters, if that is the case, why do Garmins still get burned when a person uses his/her Marine radio on regular setting? Looks like there is a missing link somewhere here.

Chuck, I haven't heard of one burning up in a long while. I really think that you won't burn it up with your marines. I haven't yet with my radio that is 25 watts on low. Matt

Garmin will tell you any radio signal over 5 watts is harmful. It does not matter if it is uhf or vhf and it does not matter if you move over a few channels. The interference is still going through the receiver. We use 50 watt mobile radios on our trucks. Last year our group upgraded to Alpha systems. I am the only one who has been using the red dog radios filter and gain antenna system and I leave both gain antennas on the cab less than four feet apart. There is no interference getting through when I key my mike. I have always had considerably further range than anyone else I have hunted with and have not had any reduction in range over time. The other people I hunt with get less range now than they did when they were new. Even though the newer Garmins are built much stronger than the old ones the interference is still not good for them. The red dog radios fido filter allows the training signals out as well, and is a lifetime investment. There is nothing to wear out.

http://www.reddogradios.com/garmin-filters/

Tom is very knowledgeable about radios and Garmins. If you call him he can help with any questions you may have and recommend equipment for your needs.

marine radio ?

trying to pick up on the subject if you please,I purchased awest marine vhf multi band transceiver four radios in one.dont know how to use except wheather alert.120v an 12 v charger, 3 instructions books different lingo like new in box,DONT NEED make offer email or call 770/775/9140 will sell thanks Buddy Tallman