​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

Masterfox Message
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
R.I.P. James Logan tuff ole fox hunter!

James Logan has passed 12/10/13.

I've been knowing Mr. Logan all my hunting life. He lived in Pleasant Grove, AL.

He was a good ole time fox hunter all his life. He was not known by the biggest part of the fox hound world or Internet hunters, he couldn't even turn on a computer.

However, he was know in AL as a tuff ole hunter. He didn't put a lot of stock in field trials or field trial hounds. He did attend field trials from time to time but only locally. He either won or placed very high at the Western Derby many years ago when it was held up in NW, Alabama. He love to show hounds and usually always kept a hound or two that showed and look good but you can bet it run good or he wouldn't have been feeding it!

He was an all night hunter and kept all night hounds. He wouldn't feed a hound if it didn't run the dark out of the night and be pumping a piece of game when the sun come up. He loved a hound that you listen to not for. He was originally from up in Blount County, AL if memory serves.

He hunted a lot with Jimmy Lowe. They went together like Batman and Robin. We never talk about one with out talking about the other.

Tonight my heart goes out to his wife, children, and Jimmy Lowe. I know a lot of folks will miss James but these folks will miss him the most.

His favorite hound was Logan's Buddy. He was a freak. I run with Buddy when had some age on him and he was still a really good hound. Buddy was by RA's John from North Carolina. I'm not sure about his mother. He produced pretty well also. If some of the big boys had owned hinge would have probably been a champion and probably been bred to much more. Buddy would probably make most of the so called stud hounds of today look silly in race.

I remember the last time hunted with him and Jimmy and I hate to say its been to long ago, but our paths just hadn't crossed lately.

He had a rough deep voice and I remember as a child thinking he was a mean ole man, boy how I was wrong! After I got to know him he still had a rough deep voice but I found him to be a very distinguished ole gentleman.

I'm glad I had the privilege of knowing Mr James Logan and will cherish his memory for many days to come.

Join me in praying for his wife and family.

True Grit
Jonathan Blakeley

Re: R.I.P. James Logan tuff ole fox hunter!

Jonathan,

When you mention that rough deep voice, that is exactly how I never forgot James even though I did not know his name for a few years after seeing him at a hunt year after year when I was a youngster. I grew up at Valley Grove in Cullman County, Alabama. A one day field trial was headquartered at the community center just over a quarter mile from where I was raised. We always went because times were a little different then but the hunters from the community would watch out for us because they knew who we were or our kin folks.

I cannot remember the first time I saw James but do know that his voice was discernible which made his face unforgettable because of the association between the two. He would always participate in the bench show and horn blowing. He was very competitive. As I got older, I remember he would always place a dog or two.

Life is about relationships. I am glad I knew James Logan. He was a foxhunter and a very nice, hardworking gentleman. May God comfort the hearts of his family and friends.

Sincerely,

Jeremy Hancock

Re: R.I.P. James Logan tuff ole fox hunter!

Sorry to here this Jon. I hunted with James alot when they had trials at the old Waterloo pen. He always had good hounds to compete and was a nice guy. My prayers to his family.
Darrell