Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

Masterfox Message
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
All night hound

What bloodline produces the best all night hounds for a pleasure hunter

Re: All night hound

fellow, I am glad someone is still hunting at night.I cant say wat blood is best. But will say it will take close care and time in woods with any blood.And all breedin I had to cull.A real good night hound has always been hard to breed..Glad to see you are still doin it.Just think wat 20 more years of 3 hour day hunts is going to do to the hound.Go luck.I will say Hellums and Kennedy cant hurt .

Haskell Spires has a pen full of all night hounds out of Spires William and Woodstock gyps of course William is out of Loftons Godfather they run all night and then some.

Billy,
Can you call me when you get a chance.
1-601-549-6466.
Thanks.

I HUNT MOSTLY IN THE CORN AT NIGHT IN ILLINOIS ..HAVE TO DAY HUNT SOME IN THE WINTER BUT TRY TO STAY AWAY FROM IT ...I HAVE GOT 8 DOGS I RUN AND AM VERY HAPPY WITH THEM ,GOT GOOD MOUTHS , 90% DEER PROOF AND CAN TRACK WELL THEY ARE ABOUT AS UP CLOSE RAIDER AND PICKETT BRED THAT YOU CAN GET NOW DAYS WITH A LITTLE LIQUER AND HELLUMS THROWN IN SEEM TO HAVE ALOT OF 4 HOUR RACES BUT NONE ARE DONE UNTIL THEY GOT 8 HOURS IN AND HAVE RUN UP TO 16 BEFORE I COULD GET THEM CORRALED...THEY SUIT ME WELL THO..LOVE TO LISTEN

I to am a night hunter, haven't hunted in a pen in many many years, for the last month been hunting 3 sometimes 4 nights a week here in south Ga ,and a all night hound , it takes lots of hrs training one if u have good game to run and a lot of it 1 piece of game wont stand much of that and expecially not over and over, he will move or get ate ! my hounds are liquor thru and thru and everything I own is kin, hard to find a dog that will use his nose anymore, so I have stayed in the same line cause they will all trail there game and give tongue doing it

Brian did you happen to own McFanns bob?

Brian what's a contact number for you ??

yes he was my hound trained him from a pup 912 977 5509

chase I sold Bob to a guy in south Carolina , they love bob, and bob could really get after something! a lot might not believe this but bob could smell a piece of game riding 40 mph down the road in the dog box he never barked in the box so if u heard him bark put him out , he done this one time stoped put him out he went straight in the woods, circled the truck on both sides the road and after abt 15 20 min struck maybe 100yds off the road and jumped him exceptional nose and fox sense, been lots of males I have sold over the years, with a lot of them being very good hounds, but I am not a male dog fan, I have all gyps, takes males to long to make on the outside, most are ignorant and aggravating will not keep one very long, and most will not run like a gyp in a briar patch 1 out of 50 might and those are the ones that one needs to keep

I had a male that was that 1 in 50 you speak of. His momma was off of bob and Rowland's whiskey. He had an unbelievable nose and was all fox dog.

I owned rowlands wiskey, got her from benny crews for a brod gyp, and bred her to bob, must have been one of the pups she raised, didn't keep any of them but 1 gyp, and sold her to glen mullis, I have nothing with bobs blood in it when the gyp left all that went to, I am very hard on a dog, I see and look at everything but none are perfect, all have faults, people tell me they have a good one, there good one and my good one are probably a long ways apart, I have been a outside hunter probably 35 years and have had a lot of average hounds never seen but maybe 1 good 1, Bob was a decent hound, he would jump you a fox or a cat, was a better cat dog than fox, was nasty on a fox, to much swingin and cutting, that's what made him go from here, I want a dog to be glued to the track I hunt 10 head and I want them shoving and pushing to put there nose in the track and all of them are gyps

all night in a pen with 10 dogs is a fair way to hunt. only way i can. deer and roads stoped me outside in the mid 80's. I wasnt a young man then and didnt think pen be ok. but pens at night on fox is ok to me. The old Ms. bred dogs what work for me. cours they average or below.Pen show you fast when to cull with reds and 300 acres.Chris you hav to raise you some and keep what suit you.Breed best to best what suits you and dont fall in love with a young dog till it proves out.

Billy I hunt with Haskell some we both have some that will run all night and half the next day.

cand c, --chuck, does haskill have anything that can stay up in a race all night. I understand you are rough on him. we suppose to go Thursday night at the pen but haskill is sick. when in feb. is a good weekend for a hunt for you. I want to put on a hunt for the lsa benefit--just looking at a date. I cannot do it on the 8th of the month. let me know some dates that are good for you.

Yeah he has some that can hang in there pretty good but when he sold Houston that was the end of him hanging in with the gyp he sold me. Didn't know he was sick I need to go check on him . Not sure bout Feb yet I may be going back out of town to work by then .

Mr Brian Mcfann give me a call tomorrow if you don't mind Jay Mason 251-802-8914

Chuck Haskell hadn't told about this gyp which one is she he's been quiet about her what is she out of

She is off of Stella and Rebel Liquor. She is fast and tough as nails . She is pretty much a all around hound . She will run all night , 8 hrs , 5 hrs and she will 3 day.

could you expand on that breeding please?and 3 day hunt she may hav placed in.Thats kind blood i am lookin for.

I just breed a good jip to Haskells old Jake dog because I owned Billy Bob and they had good noses good mouths and were tough as wet leather. Jake is very similar breed and is wore out and still runs all day with a good mouth. He is about 11 years old. She had 7 pups all were blanket back but 1 and she is spotted so he is still breeding.

Info on breeding.post your name and I am sure chuck will tell you any thing you want to know about that gyp

Never said she placed in a 3 day I said she will run a 3 day. No she want be bread no time soon she isn't even 2 years old yet .

Chip I know for a fact he will run all night and run up with the pack . That is one tough old hound. And that's running in a thick pen .

I would have to look at the papers to go any deeper on her breeding . Got too many to remember them all.

Chuck Wat u gonna breed to that gyp when u do breed her.

Prolly Wilson's Flash or Cottons Rawhide

Okay Info here is a quick run down of what she is Spires Rebel Liquor which is off of Canoys Clay Liquor x Canoys Pearl . Clay liquor is Canoys Matt Liquor x Tracy's Tiny. Canoys Pearl is Canoys Black Magic x Clear Creek Sally. That's the top side for ya . Now here is the bottom Spires Stella which is off of Spires William x Jo Jo Lovett . William is Loftins God Father x Spires Nona. Jo Jo Lovett is Melvin's Viper x Ridgeways Wood Chip.
No Billy Melvin I won't ever sell her.

Really don't know of any pups yet off him but I've pleasure hunted and ran against 747's flash dog and he is a heck of a hound very competive in all style of hunts.

I have 2 off him now they are 4 months old . Off of flash and Shiloh

That's what I like. I don't just hunt one certain style of hunt. I like them all and also like being able to go to Mr Leroy's and running all night with Haskell.

I still hunt all night with Bratton's Sackett hounds. I only get time to run once a week, so I run them all night outside and in the pen.

chuck, I got old Houston this week from dickie smith. I always like the hound. he is tough and will run all night and get up in a race. we had good running this week. wish you could have been there. haskill was sick. we are looking at having the hunt on 2-15-14 for the lsa, how does this sit with your being able to make the hunt. let me know asap.

I am good with that Mr Leroy .

You young guys that dont remember how it was are better off than us old guys who remember how it was at night.We thought it last forever.Time was folks liked the foxhunter on thier land at night.Kept the riff raff out i was once told.All a man had do was do his best keep a dog could run all night caus the old fox were hound killers.I wake up after a dream sometimes of hard runnin and my heart hurts when i realize its over.Man times hav changed.Deer ,blacktop roads,and all around nut cases every were you turn.I own a farm and the masses tell me what to do and when to do it as far as foxhunting .Cant believe its same country as when i was a boy in the 50's with my Yazoo and raider hounds.They wernt all good but some made coffee taste real good bout sun up. This is just an old man singin the blues.Life goes on. Hang in there.

Mr. Roger Knight has some of the toughest hounds i have ever ran in my life. I am a young hunter an was born an breed all night hunting. I have owned an still own a few of his bloodline an they will run from dark till up in the next day. They are mostly liquor bred with clear mouthes. I like for one to run till I want him to stop not when he wants to. God Bless!!!

Running on faith what's your contact I'd like to talk to you about your houbds

601 508 8931. You will have to text me i am at work thanks.

We grew up running grey fox in briar patches , we used to run some of em 12,14 hours . Me and my
Brother always kept some straight dogs , we really had fun with em .
I don't keep a dog that won't run all nite.
Kennedy bred , Hellums bred, Hills bred are about as tough as I've ever seen.

Also some of your liquor bred dogs .
That's mostly what we had as younguns and that's mostly what I got now.
I still have some straight dogs that'll jump a grey fox , and some liquor bred hounds that'll run em all nite ,
Just ain't got very good place to hunt ad I did 15 years ago .

c and c kennels, we need to get together for a hunt at my pen. I know you have a outstanding female hound and I want to run with her. I have some ike-godfather female that will run some long hours, so we need to get together for a hunt. let me know when you can get off.

Mr Leroy it will prolly be after deer season before I get to do any all night running again . I have a 11 year old son that loves deer hunting more than I ever did so we spend most our time at the camp when I am off . But yeah I would love to run with you one night .

chuck, just let me know when you can go.