​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

Masterfox Message
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
question about croghan hounds

What are croghan dogs known for. Speed, toughness, track running ability . Thanks for any info. Also where and what dogs did they originate from

Re: question about croghan hounds

9/10 will be leaf flippers.

Adam call me and I will tell you anything you need to know. They started here in Kansas with Bill Croghan and his dad.
Call any night before 9:00 pm
620-478-2256

The ones I have owned were tough as nails , great mouths , large and stout built but mean as hell , none I have owned were very fast.

j have had a few I thought were pretty bad fast

Croghan dogs are wolf dogs. They have one goal in mind and that's to catch a coyote and kill it. Some of them are extremely fast. Most of them have good noses. They are best suited where there is some open country because they tend to be heads up go catch it style dogs. If you are an outside hunter and want to put some coyotes on the dog box get you some! However they are not all night " boo who " style pleasure dogs when they bark there on his ass they are good 3-5 hour dogs and they will run there hardest all the way through. Me and my group of hunters have lots of them and we catch alot of coyotes ! No gunning, dogs earn it all. If you are a 3 dayer inside wire guy these will not suit you. They might get you banned from a pen or two I know cause its happened to me ! Lol. Happy hunting

Hunters, there is way more good than bad concerning the Croghan hounds. Sort of a sub-breed of the Walker/July strains. I would call them '
coyote hounds.'

anybody in south ms got any

use to hear back in the day they had a little airdale,bulldog,coon dog,anything that would make them mean,dont know this too be factual.

The ones I have seen have decent 3 hour speed, not blazing and can't go 5 hours. They do like to fight. Supposed to be good at the catch but I have seen them get a little trashy, fighting other dogs, trying to catch coons etc.

Like anything, I'm sure there are some that are good and some that aren't. Take everything you read with a grain of salt.

If you know any one who catches coyotes nearly every time they go .THEY HAVE THE BLOOD.

Thanks for the replys

No matter what ya think of the Bill Croghan line of dogs ; don't ya wish that people talked about the breeding of what you have done ; only have as much !