​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

Masterfox Message
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
whats hunting come too!

hey !..i read all the complaints and ******* about this and that..it makes it rough !i'm 51 and remember the hunters before me and they thought my generation would bring it to an end..well it so far has survived us and will hopefully continue for years to come.
..i understand most on here dont care about our way of hunting but some that read this may.
..on march 21/22 we'll be having a deerproof broke dog hunt in ne nc..and any outside hunter that strives to keep deerproof hounds is welcome.our primary game will be grey and may get in some red fox.there are coyotes in the area but i hope we dont run them.
it will be a full class hunt ran by national rules with the exception of running deer and they will be scratched and crated if possible.
this is just a fun hunt by most folks standards with braggin rights..we will reconize all placing hound,hunting,trailing,s/d,end,and hga.

the main point i want to get across is that we're having a hunt built on what our forefathers meant it to be...and i understand a lot that have hounds today cant hunt our way or care to...but for every 10 houndmen you know today..you know one true old school hunter thats led the way for others,
these hunts are meant to represent them and thier hounds.

i'll guarentee you i'll do my best to have a hunt with good food,hospitality,and we'll enjoy some good fox races..and 6 months later we'll do it again
no leader board,no test of the best,no champion,but good times with some great hunters and hounds !

Re: whats hunting come too!

Are you saying there is no place in field trailing for a hound that runs deer in field trials.

He saying different strokes for different folks. And yes there is no place for deer running in an advertised deer proof field trial. Take it as he wrote nothing more nothing less. Those folks put a lot of effort into keeping their hounds broke off deer.

Well said Chip, I agree with you totally, That's the reason they call it foxhunting not deerhunting & it's nothing wrong with a deer trial. I don't run outside 3 day fieldtrial's because most association score dogs running deer.

here in Illinois you are suppose to make e very attempt to break up a deer chase if you allow your dogs to chase deer you can be charged with wildlife harresment I like the idea of scratching for off game would greatly improve outside hunts here....and I feel it will improve the breed for those that don't want to run deer ..personally in my kennel I use 3 strikes your out

yes scratch, but i fear it is 40 years too late to start. if the rule had been changed then maybe now we hav dogs less pron to deer. but the population growth has grown so hound running outside is near an end in most places.deer proof or not.no land left. as for deer and deer hunting with hounds for sport, i wish they were left off this foxhound site. it is not a deer site so why deer dog guys try make it one is unknown to me. good luck with the broke dog trials.i am all for them.

thanks for you'alls positive comments..i was in no way trying to start a debate about deer running with hounds..i just wanted hunters to be aware of these hunts..and welcome any hunters that this hunt would suit.
when i started these hunts back up...from the work lewis oliver from va and oscar long from senc it sorta left me with enough insight to make them work.i quit trying to change the rules and started scoring them the way we hunt and train them...and again...unless you hunt our way these hunts arent for you.i appriciate the support they've generated .

when i first started them back up they were designed as hunting club fund raisers...we do 2 a year..and my concern was where to have it with game and a decent place for hounds on highways.today with thier sucess we have more places to host it than we have hunts..outside hunting is not over by any means here,only getting stronger.with the help and support im getting from a lotta people i think they will only get better.we host these hunts and contain them to hunting club land in the 3-5000 acre range.if anyone is interested in starting one in another state i'll do all i can to help get it started,alvin barrow,252-217-7837

Alvin I would like to help get one lined up around Miss. somewhere Jay Mason and myself have been talking about this and we would love to get one started also. Nothing like a pack of hounds get in full cry after a fox cant beat it I will get with him and try to come join in with yall at this hunt, Thanks for trying to help keep our hounds running.