​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

Masterfox Message
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Running Trail Hounds Like Grey Hounds?

I am an old time and here lately I have seen a lot! of younger fellas running there trail hounds like grey hounds. I was just wandering everyone's take on this subject. To me I grew up hunting the hounds as a passion to hear a race from a pack of hounds, not to see who can drive the fastest to dump a crate of fresh dogs on the yote. To me this is not hunting and is kind of an unwritten law in the houndsmen book.

Re: Running Trail Hounds Like Grey Hounds?

i agree 100%. the sound of a race at night is the real deal. knowing a dogs mouth and stay n awake ALL NIGHT!

U no linger see 57 Chevys , bell bottom paints , and no longer go to sockhops Things have changed! SORRY No disrespect !!

A real fox hound can run longer than 3 hours they can run all night even days they don't come back to the truck after 3 hours

I'm not an old timer but surely not a new timer!! Consider myself a mid timer I guess! LOL. I like a pup/hound that can hunt/jump its own game and run the fire out of it with plenty speed. I like em athletic. If there out of it, I want em fighting to get back in it and preferably getting the front of it. I don't consider my hounds as greyhounds but I want them to be able to move like somebody has a fire under there ace! I know my hounds mouths because I run em a lot and spend a lot of time watching and listening to them. I don't run my hounds all night because I have a job that I have to go to every day and simply don't care to run mine all night. With all this said, old timer's, if you like what you like, then do what you like and I will do what I like!! I don't hunt like you hunt but you don't see me on here knocking what you do! To each and his own.

Happy Hunting!!!

Mr.old timer when the money hit the hunts the quality of hounds and hunters diminished nobody cares much amymore but my dog crossed first

Unfortunately that is true. In pen hunts the desire for more speed has bred the nose and hunt out of a lot of dogs. NOT ALL. There are still a lot of guys that run fox and yotes on the outside and do it well.

The worst part of all this is thinking about the future when it is entirely conceivable that pens will be banned due to the anti hunting community. Breeding will take years to get back to dogs that can really hunt up their game and run it right.

There are lots of dogs that can do it right on the outside, you only have to look at the futurity and national to see that.

i will tell you how I think it has been for ever. some guys dnt hav a good dog will take up for the dog needs culled. thats the facts. Any hunter has to cull 80% percent if he wants above average hounds.i hav seen fast quiters for 50 years. and for 50 years men feeding them. thats right its thier feed but dont forget what your feedin. the hardest hunters i ever knew worked 6 days a week. they just had love for quality. of course i am jerkin chain a bit. dnt get hot. i am near 74 year old. i had a chance see a world much different than this world today.i saw kind gentelmen enjoying sport.win or not win. man times hav changed.yes cash payouts hav changed things. to that point i agree. Old timers dont cast at 8am and get home before dark. it still happenin out here "old 57 chevy". at night followin the trak. knowin the mouth. and drinkin up coffee. hav a good one.

I agree. I said when they first started the "Money Hunts" and the "Truck" Hunts that the Sport was taken out and replaced with greed. Greed and Lust of Money and "Must Be #1" attitude. Now you have people breeding,raising and selling Pups and Hounds as their main source of income as well as participating in the "Big" money hunts. You see Kennels that are Legal "LLC's" with the emphasis on the "C" ;as are some of the enclosures. The fork of the road,Friday night,pull up a chair and build a fire Hunter is about a thing of the past. Just a Old Rednecks Thots!

I run my dogs all night and know there voices. If they wont run from sundown til sunset i wont feed em. If they wont place in hunts i wont feed em and if they cant jump and run there own game(fox or deer) on the outside i wont feed em. And im not saying they are the best hounds in the world but they make me happy and suit my style of running. But because of my location i run them mostly in a local pen around a fire barrel with my buddies!! Some things are differant and some are the same. We all deserve our own freedoms and all this negative talk between fellow hunters is whats killing the sport! Its not the dogs poor nose it all of yalls poor attitudes. If u dont like wat sumbody does then dont do it. If u want dogs with a good nose them breed them and keep that bloodline alive. If sumbody else wants fast 3 hour dogs then breed em and make that bloodline. And then sumbody like me will get a couple of each and make our own bloodline. Thats wat will keep this sport, passion, hobby, addiction, etc. alive! Rite now peta and hsus are trying to close our pens in Virginia and talk like this does not help us. If they close them then i will have to get rid of all my dogs because i wont be able to keep them in shape. So lets just all enjoy our freedom and let other people enjoy theirs no matter what it is. Isnt that what it means to be free? I would like to be able to teach me kids and his buddys about hounds and let them hear a all night fox race so dont put all young hunters in one group. But if u crucify one of us on this website for everybody to see then u are crucifying all of us! Happy Hunting

This post is innocent and is just a matter of opinion and i have read them and different strokes for different folks but why in the world can ya'll not use your names ??

Guess we can change rules so everybody can have a field champ.Call obama he mite just do that.

im an old timer also. owned running dogs all my life an still do. goes as far back in my family as I can remember. lots of new young hunters don't have the opportunities to hunt on outside like we did. feel for them. but I agree with u old timer todays hunting nothing but a money issue. I hunt fieldtrials sum an I swear half know nothing about their dogs except if they come in first an win money. and u sure don't wanna buy one of them high priced suckers an think its gonna suit u outside.dont see it changing. bout all lot of people got left. guess we hav to letem enjoy what they can and I hunt my way long as I can

this is my opion and my opinion only, I hunt only on the outside, but the way I see it what a man does is his business, weather he runs possums , armidillos , or just what ever he wants to its his business !!! a lot don't have the place to hunt on the outside anymore, so they have to do the next best thing hunt in a pen, my opinion on this , and its probably wrong but I personally don't believe its hunting, not to step on any ones toes but it is what it is, and if one likes that so be it, the hounds that one hunts inside the wire are to different breeds, most pen dogs , and im talkin abt the stud hounds don't put enuf nose on there pups to trail a cold track, its been bred out, I have often wondered how hga can be determined when all that game is enclosed , with the hounds, he wont have to hunt far just keep moving and he will come on something real quick, and that's just my opinion, most today have never hunted where its hard to run, most wouldn't know how to get started or know how to go about breaking dogs to have true fox hounds, and most wifes wont let there husband hunt 3 or 4 nights a week, pen running takes a hound that is a heads up dog cause most of the time theres no trailing involved there shouldn't be when the game is shut up with the dogs, but if one likes that that's good , a person likes what he likes, weather it be vinallia , or chocolate, it is what it is, breed to dogs that suits ones fancy cause with some that's all they can do is hunt inside, sorry if I steped on somebodys toes, god bless happy hunting

hunting in a pen is like fishing in a bath tub but if you don't have a place to hunt outside you have two choices go to a pen or get rid of your dogs