​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

Masterfox Message
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
2013 "Test of the Best" - Winners

I am proud to announce the winners of the 2013 “Test of the Best” competition. First of all, I want to thank all of the hunters who ran their hounds in the “Test of the Best” affiliated hunts last year. As expected, this contest has grown tremendously over the past couple of years and is on track to be even greater this year. Nothing happens without the sponsorship and that comes from the places the hounds earn their points. I appreciate the preserve owners who run their trials in accordance with the rules of this competition, you make it all possible. The state of North Carolina is home to all of the winners in what was a most competitive “Test of the Best”. The winning hounds are as follows:

Puppy Division:

1) Mercer’s Ugly (820 points)
Southeast Maverick – Lil B’s Lady
Owned by Jeremy Mercer, J&R Inc; Clinton, NC

2) Mercer’s Cherry (720 points)
Mercer’s Red J. – Good Ole Boys Sissy
Owned by Jeremy Mercer, J&R Inc; Clinton, NC

3) Craver’s Hooker (670 points)
Valentine’s Guz – Craver’s Halle Berry
Owned by Brandon Craver, Haulin Ace Knl; Watha, NC

4) Craver’s Freak Nasty (440 points)
Valentine’s Guz – Craver’s Halle Berry
Owned by Brandon Craver, Haulin Ace Knl; Watha, NC

5) Cajun Queen (430 points)
Lakehill’s Chili – Lakehill’s Clear Cool Day
Owned by Mike ‘Fireball’ Locklear, Coalition Knl; Jacksonville, NC

1-Day Division:

1) Daniel’s Andy L. (280 points)
Ch. Schoolio’s Dr. Lecter – Ambler Ridge Cute Face
Owned by Louis Daniels; Alliance, NC

2) Croatan’s Flag (260 points)
Butler’s Big Thunder – Thompson’s Snowflake
Owned by Robert Corey, Croatan Knl; New Bern, NC

3) TJ’s Dot (250 points)
High Cotton Hercules – D&S Red Lady
Owned by TJ Tart, Skeet Range Knl; Coats, NC

2-way tie for 4th place

4) Russell’s Kyle D. (200 points)
Doug’s Saw Buck – Doug’s Miss Kitty
Owned by Russell Din; LaGrange, NC

4) Tyndall’s Melvin (200 points)
B&S Mr. Marvin – J&M’s Kelly
Owned by Harvey Tyndall; Mt. Olive, NC

5) Tyndall’s Chuckie (190 points)
Ratshot’s Kirby – Tyndall’s Penny
Owned by Harvey Tyndall; Mt. Olive, NC

The “Test of the Best” was unusually competitive last year and it took an outstanding hound to make this list. The first and second pups alone combined for 22 placements (eleven each); making this category as strong as any I can remember. Congratulations to Jeremy Mercer followed closely by Brandon Craver. These two gentlemen worked hard to achieve their goals in 2013 with some battle-tough and highly consistent gyps. The results of the 1-Day category reflect a much closer outcome than that of the Puppy division. Russell’s Kyle D. is now officially retired, but not before finishing forth as a six year old. Congratulations to Russell Din and Kyle on a well-deserved placement. Finally I want to acknowledge my good friend and KY State supporter, Louis Daniels, for winning the 1-Day division of the “Test of the Best” with Andy. The winners will be recognized in April during the Spring Meetings in Lexington.

Susan Alewine

Re: 2013 "Test of the Best" - Winners

What all states were these test of the best hunts in, I don't recall many of them being around Georgia Alabama Mississippi Louisiana or Arkansas. Was it an east coast test of the best.

2 in sc i heard

Any hunt is elgible in the country. They just have to advertise in the chase magazine. and maybe some other things. but it just not a east coast thing.

Was this sponsored by Purina? Just curious as to whether or not they followed thru with their promises

You Ms. sat morn guys should be a part of this.It has been going on a few years now. There are a few rules. But no big problem to be part of the contest.It is a good thing for hunting.The info is in the Chase every month. Subscribe to the Chase and see whats up. It is up to you to showcase your local hunt and make it a bigger program.

The "Test of the Best" contest co-sponsored by the Chase magazine is open to any hunter who wishes to participate. Many of the winners in recent years have come from the East coast area because there are multiple preserves that run their hunts in affiliation with the competition. In order for a trial to receive consideration for the "Test of the Best", it must be advertised in the Chase and the results sent in for publication.

This competition is for 1-Day and Puppy hunts and as of this year will include both All Age and Derby trials under the 1-Day division. The standings for the "Test of the Best" are printed every other month in the Chase so that hunters know where their hounds rank throughout the year. The Chase now recognizes Masters affiliated hunts and encourages all to participate. There are many hunters particularly in Arkansas, Louisiana, and Mississippi who could excel in this competition. The very best way to learn about and keep up with this contest is to subscribe to the Chase. All interested hunters may contact the Chase office at 859-254-4262 or email Deana at Chasepubl@mw.twcbc.com

We have tried.

First, yes. Purina is the sponsor of the 2013 Test of the Best and will honor their commitments.

Second. We have tried to garner interest in the Test of the Best in the west. I spoke with Runt Kidd last year at the Junior National in Arkansas about how to get western pen owners involved. I called Steve Ducote before Christmas and asked him how what he thought might get the western pen owners and associations interested. He was going to think about it and call me back. He never did.

It isn't brain surgery. What few stipulations that are in place are in the Chase for everyone to see. I think it is up to the participants to ask the pen owners why they don't seem to want to give folks the opportunity to compete.

If anyone has any specific questions about any of the above comments, please call me. 336-407-5174.

Re: We have tried.

Will Purina sponser it in 2014?