​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

Masterfox Message
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
the difference

I have several questions that I hope to get answers to. The first question is- what is the difference between foxhounds and croghan? I know that croghan fight more but what is the running style difference. I notice that some people love croghan and some hate it and im trying to learn why. 2nd guestion is why are some people crossing july to foxhounds, croghan to foxhounds, july to croghan? What im asking is what does the crosses produce that one breed doesnt have by itself. Not acting dumb but fairly new to the sport and my group just breeds their own hounds and dont know anything about bloodlines or breeding. So I have come to you guys for help. Thanks in advance

Re: the difference

My thoughts are the croghan,a walker stock,were ill tempered and they were thought better to day hunt coyotes with maybe more fight when coyote stopped. Then other walker strains from Ky were bred as fox dogs to run long hours. The july is a hound may have come out of Ga. in 1860's and was thought by many to be quick and speedy.These are views I have read about throughout the years. May be more opinion than fact. There are old books out there on the different breeds.

Thanks for your response. I have searched this sight and found some info on the history. There is a guy in our group that swears by july/walker cross. I have liquor bred dogs and julys. I can tell the diff running styles in foxhound and julys but I cant tell any diff in july and walker running styles. Mayb its the dogs but we have about 30+ dogs in our group. Which they all are related with the exception of my hounds. During my research I seen alot of people and some big name people crossing croghan bred dogs to liquor bred foxhounds. Also seen them crossing july and foxhound. I just want to know why! I just crossed a line bred liquor female with a croghan/liquor bred male. I talked to a guy in our group and he said he thought the julys gave the walkers fight but the walker line was croghan which is suppose to fight hard anyway. Any responses to help me learn I would appreciate it. I have had beagles my whole life so I do know about hounds. I just dont really understand the different running styles between the 3. If I can get a high percentage of dogs that hunt and run like I want I can stay in that line. I like to line breed myself. I like to have an idea of what i got before i get it. This is the reason im asking you pros for your knowledge. Also I want to know what seperates 1 line from the other

Like I said in the post mostly an opinion.Breed best to best.And cull.Cant fall in love with a young dog till it proves out.Be honest with your self because it cost just as much to feed a cull as a keeper.We all cull. And we all never find that perfect "hound" .These modern day bloodlines are mixed up so you cant just say thats what I want. Hours in the woods and an idea of what you want is my system. Then best to best. It's a life time of few top crosses. But a lifetime of hope for one.LOL. good luck.