​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

Masterfox Message
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What does it take?

The Masters has had a lot of Good Feedback for posting the Judges Scores, and reviewing its Top 6 Major Hunts.

I am curious What does it take to get you to attend a Field Trial?

Is it the location where the hunt is being held?
The Pen?
Grade of the Hunt? Grade I, Grade II ??
Loyalty to the Hunt? (a hunt you attend year after year)
Awards? Trophies, Dog Feed, Money?
Speed & Drive? 2 Day Hunt? or a 3 Day Hunt?
Posting of Judges scores?
Posting a Judges List prior to the hunt?
Rules in which the hunt is being ran under? GTP, HGA or National?

What does it take?

I am looking for answers to share with other hunts to better prepare for hunts in the future. Your positive feed back I welcome.
The no name post I don't.

Brenda T

Re: What does it take?

Good facility, game, integrity and reputation of judges invited, computer program used, good kitchen, prize doesn't matter really

I TOTALLY AGREE W/DAVID.

MY ONLY SUGGESTION TO ANY HUNT OR TRIAL IS TO ADD SCORES W/ANYBODY THAT WANTS TO WATCH.I'D LIKE TO SEE ALL HUNT,ATLEAST S&D HUNTS TO NOT GO BEHIND CLOSED DOORS TO TOTAL SCORES.

THAT'S MY OPINION!!!

Hounds that are good enough to compete plus time to do it.

Location where people can go to town if needed and motel rooms close by where u can go relax right down the road is a major thing for me. Triple p not being smart my no means but when u get to looking at all them numbers adding them up with people helping talking beside u figuring too is hard enough. Just amagine over hundred people breathing over your neck and people talking everywhere while your figuring. It's a job doing scores.

OH YES SIR I UNDERSTAND THAT TOTALLY.THAT'S WHY I SAID MAINLY @ S&D HUNTS.I AGREE THAT IT IS BOUT IMPOSSIBLE @ THE BIG MAJOR HUNTS.

While I like the idea of an open judges meeting there really isn't any benefit to be gained from it as long as you follow the Masters procedures for posting judges scores and you make sure the judges certify that the computer operator entered their scores correctly. Most of the time the hunters are catching up dogs while the meeting is going on anyway. The Masters procedures are as good as you can do to discourage cheating. Of course the danger is an ignorant hunter seeing that one judge scored the winning hound more than any other judge and assuming he must have been cheating. These will be the same folks that can never understand how they get outscored because they know their hounds are the fastest that have ever been set down everywhere they go.

I used to go to 12 three day hunts a year, now have cut back some, still plan on hitting a lot this year.

I want to go were there is running.

I am cool with what ever rules

I am cool with Nat or Masters affiliated

Awards don't matter....running for field championship

The only thing that will mess me up now is holiday weekends

I tend to go to the river during the summer, and we have big friends gathering for several days over thanksgiving, so I wont be hitting hunts those weekends I understand it is less days off for working people, but for me my bride doesn't want to spend the holiday at the field trial.

I like the small pen hunts also, I like the idea of having the dogs looked at every time they turn the curve, I believe you can pick better champion if the hound is looked at over and over, in 25000 acres in wild cant do that 17 judges in 1000 acres cant do it, put dogs in 300-400 acres with 12 judges and they looked over and over and the faults come out, and the creme rises it it takes the luck away.

I like going to some big hunts also for prestige

Masters, All American, Nationals, USO

Haven t been to All American in few years but will be there next year, and also haven't been to Nationals in while but enjoy the fellowship at those hunts.

Be good

Lenny

Loyalty to the Hunt

When I have been invited to judge, I will try to go to all of them since I am retired and have the time. It is sometimes tough to find enough judges that are qualified and I like to help the associations if I can

When it comes to running, I am like Jeff. I have been involved with some hunts for many years. The Piedmont, North Carolina State, Southeastern, All American and National are some of them. I am dedicated to these and always hope to support them as well as some of the others.

I am like everybody else. I like a lot of running. Sometimes, circumstances don't allow for that and I'm okay with it as long as the association has put forth an honest effort to make sure the HUNTERS feel appreciated.

Running, good number of knowledgeable judges, good kennels, and a decent place to stay close to the pen.
Prize doesnt matter the ch. Is enough.

DAY OF FIELD TRAILING ALWAYS BETTER THAN A DAY AT WORK-WISH I HAD TIME TO DO MORE 3 DAYING-MISS SEEING MY OLD FRIENDS-HOPE PAYDAY DID HIS JOB-GUESS WE WILL FIND OUT IN 2 MONTHS

For me it would be more 2 day hunts. Just don't have the time or energy to stay 3 or 4 days anymore.
Darrell

The dates are important to me I have a hard time getting time off so I can only hit the hunts that are Saturday and Sunday sometimes Fridays I can get off work.

I would say providing honest judges , good running game the pen owner having a good reputation putting on a good honest hunt, a good pay back and figuring scores not behind closed doors. It seems like now a days in field trials mainly 3 and 4 hour 1 day speed n drives people are feeling like they are not being treated fair and they're dogs r not being scored right. Theres always somebody that doesn't like somebody or had a bad dealing with them and they don't attend certain hunts because of it. It's gettin to a point where promoting a stud dog and things like that are taking the place of the right dogs winning hunts. Cheating is becoming a major issue and pen owners that put on hunts need to change the way they are scoring and figuring and etc just my thoughts an opinions Brenda hope this can help

Good running and enough judges to cover these big pens like manning or swainboro. At Lease 30 to 40 judges that makes a big differences.hard to spend hard earned money and not enough judges to score dogs running all over these pens. Trophys dont mean alot.all we are looking for is that ch.title to go beside your hounds name.

Mrs Brenda I have not been to many hunts but the one thing that makes me want to come is to meet the people that I wouldn't meet otherwise I don't have the dogs to really be able to compete but it fun trying. the hunts that I have been to have been an experience that I have enjoyed the hunters that I have met have been helpful in answering any questions that I have had that I didn't know and to me its about meeting the people at the hunt. yes some wont give the time of day to answer a question but the majority will go out of the way to help. with me being a younger hunter that makes all the difference in the world and makes me look forward to going to another hunt if work permits, so I would have to say it is the hunters that makes me want to a hunt.

When I get invited to judge,I have to get enough notice so I can get off of work. I like to know who the master of hounds is, after that it really does not matter, because I am there to work for the hunt and do the best job I can so every hunter and dog get a fair shake.

Very well said mr Jenkins think a lot of us can agree with that post changes do need to be made but Im sure theres a few old timers and people in this sport that dont think so and they are mainly the ones who you are talkin bout in your post

how does a pen owner change the scoring and figuring ?

I hear lots of talk of people not going to a trial that the pen owner is running his top notch hounds.Some hunts seem to have big entries and some low. I know the pen owners dont win every time.

Everybody wants a fair shot that goes without saying. But what I would like to see is for the judges to actually judge the hounds for their actions and not just speed and drive. The head hunters and road runners should be eliminated for race interferece. For example you see dogs flanking a pack, the pack is 200 yards off the road and the dogs go out of sight flanking up the road they should be scratched for failure to hark, in my opinion. Years ago they would have been eliminated today whatever it takes to get to the front is accepted and worse than that desired as an admireable trait for a field trial hound. At some point the cutting, slashing type dogs have got to be taken out or the only running we will have is sight running. I was taught that was for greyhounds not foxhounds.
Just my opinion.
Good hunting and may God bless each and everyone of us.

I think what Carolina kennels and them meant was the way that hunts are being scored judged and figured needs to change.. Why have to figure scores behind closed doors ? Nobody cares about the element of surprise anymore I sure don't people want to know that there dogs are scored right and the right dogs are winning and placing high that run up rather than a pencil beating them. If judges do not write the times down on there score sheets by each crossing and they don't sign there name on the score sheets and people that run in the hunts can't see them how is there any way to catch somebody cheating?? Mr Michael Jenkins put it perfectly, its gettin more about boosting the price of your hound promoting a stud dog and things such as that rather than the right dogs winning . And pen owners running In there own hunts, what can you do about it ? It is what it is if you don't like it don't go but neutral judges needed to be provided just my thoughts and several people I have talked To from ms al and la agree

I like 2 day hunts working man just cant do 3 days

The one thing that I hear is CHEATING! The one thing I see that could make a difference is putting judges name and time it would be hard to cheat then because it would be in black n white then. It would also be more difficult for two or more judges to cheat because there is some judges that don't know each other and if the same time came up on the same hound you have got them Red Handed. This should work for big or small hunts to some degree!

JUST A THOUGHT BUT WOULD IT BE POSSIBLE TO LEND EACH JUDGE A PORTABLE UHF RADIO AND HAVE THEM CALL INTO A HOME SCORE KEEPER TO RECORD THE SCORE AND TIME..I KNOW IT WORKS WELL IN THE ONE DAY SPEED AND DRIVES AROUND HERE..MY 2 CENTS WORTH...RIDGE

ENTRY FEES!!!!! I cant afford em.I remember when you could go to a puppy hunt for $25. Its done got to where its all about money!!as far as cheating goes I think most hunt are run well espsecially the big hunt,Alot of work goes into them, I think this sport has more sore losers than cheaters,but you got to blame getting whipped on something.Just haul culls like me and use that excuse,its better than compromising the integrity of a hunt that people put a lot of hard work in to.And last but not least a rule telling me I cant use my very expensive tracking equipment that I use honestly, that's surely not gona make me want to come.Ill have to save up for another tracking system.

Start testing top hounds for drugs/steroids.

I would love to see no drinking alcohol or drugs by hunters at field trials.I dont like my gran kids seeing beer drunk and thinking I endorse it.

btt