​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

Masterfox Message
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bruce Westerman For Dog Hunters

The ADHA would like to make the announcement that we will be supporting Bruce Westerman in the up coming election in November. Bruce is running for the 4th congressional district. His area includes the west side of the state Fortsmith south and all of the southern boarder.
Bruce grew up running dogs with his dad and granddad and is very aware of the struggles that face the modern day dog hunter. He has made a commitment to the ADHA to help us keep our dog hunting rights here in Arkansas. He has already sent out a very powerful letter to all of the current US congressmen to let them know about the struggles we are having on the National Forest and he is trying to get us some answers to some important questions about our future.
If you are a dog hunter and would like to help us elect a person that is PRO dog hunting then please contact Bruce's Campaign manager Ryan: 501-766-2079
If you are down in the southern part of the state(Runt Kidd territory call Cody:870-703-1270
This is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT that us as dog hunters elect people that have our best interest at heart. If you have any questions please give me a call
Jeromy Sullivent President ADHA 870-484-1775

Re: Bruce Westerman For Dog Hunters

This is very serious matter, I met with Law enforcement of national forest last fri nt, not only they wanting push out dogs, but also use of rds. Now they are wanting us to write letter for request to have field trials 3mts n advance, plus charge us 5% what the hunt takes in. No more side by sides or 4 wheelers used at hunts. Better vote for Bruce and find more like him.

Dear Congressman Cotton,

Within the past few weeks I have been contacted by several outdoorsmen in our state who practice an age old tradition in Arkansas of hunting with dogs. Many of these outdoorsmen are constituents from my state legislative district and your congressional district. On Saturday, August 16, I had an opportunity to attend a benefit field trial, lunch, and auction near Buckville. This event was hosted by the Arkansas Dog Hunters Association and its purpose was to raise money for one of their members who was injured in an accident and is temporarily unable to work. There were well over a hundred people who attended this event who traveled from many parts of the state and even some from out of state.

These field trials involve families and many children participate in the activities. I was not only impressed by the generosity and compassion these outdoorsmen showed for their friend and the values the kids were being taught, but also with their good stewardship of the land they were hunting and their desire to continue a sporting tradition that many learned from their parents and grandparents and have been practicing for decades.

This particular field trial was conducted partially on U.S. Forest Service land on the northern side of Lake Ouachita. The local hunting association has built their own campground and pavilion on private property, but the field trials are conducted on both private and public land. Having spent much time in this area since I was a child, I am quite familiar with the field trials that take place there, and I have always observed that these outdoorsmen conduct themselves with the highest respect for others and for the land they are using. They not only spend money during these trials that benefits the local community but they also help to maintain roads and trails, pick up liter, and strive to leave the public areas in as good or better shape than they found them.

Several issues reported to me from these outdoorsmen are concerning, and I hope you as well as the other members of our federal delegation can help them and me get answers from the Forest Service. The issues are as follows:

1. The Forest Service has apparently stopped the use of hunting dogs and field trials on Forest Service land to our south in Louisiana and there is concern that the Forest Service is pursuing a similar policy in Arkansas.

2. Forest Service law enforcement officers visited the private campsite and informed members that they would be fined for using certain roads on Forest Service land during the field trials. The outdoorsmen were presented with a Forest Service map that illustrated which roads could and could not be used. I was given one of the maps and quite frankly, the maps did not make much sense. There are segments of roads that can be used and other segments of the same roads that cannot be used which basically makes the whole road inaccessible. Also when observing the map, it is easy to see that there is a disproportionate amount of roads on the south side of Lake Ouachita open for use verses the roads on the north side of the lake. Hunters typically use both pick-up trucks and ATV's during the field trials.

3. The outdoorsmen were also informed by the Forest Service law enforcement officers that they would be required to purchase a permit to conduct field trials on Forest Service land. Some of the gentlemen I visited with had been participating in these activities since the 1960's and stated that they had never been requested to pay a fee to use the public land. They also voiced their beliefs that having paid their taxes should be sufficient for their recreational use of the forest.

Will you please inquire of the Forest Service if they are promoting policies to end hunting with dogs or even hunting in general on public land?Also, will you please investigate their road designation policies to see if they are allowing equivalent access across the forest? And finally, will you please inquire as to why the Forest Service had decided to begin issuing permits and collecting fees for field trials? Is this a standard practice for other recreational uses on Forest Service land?

Your attention to these matters is much appreciated. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance to you.

Sincerely,

Representative Bruce Westerman

cc: The Honorable John Boozman (US Senator - Arkansas)
The Honorable Mark Pryor (US Senator - Arkansas)
The Honorable Rick Crawford (US Congressman - AR 1)
The Honorable Tim Griffin (US Congressman - AR 2)
The Honorable Steve Womack (US Congressman - AR 3)
Mr. Jeromy Sullivent (President - Arkansas Dog Hunters Association)

If there is any way we can help with the campaign like putting a sign in the yard or whatever would also like an address where we could send a contribution please call me 870-584-9382

fellow hunters, you had better band together and take this very seriously. we have been fighting the u.s. forest for over 5 yrs. here in Louisiana to keep our dog hunting rights. listen to these guys about electing good people to congress that support our way of life. I am president of the la. sportmens alliance which support our heritage and culture that we have enjoyed in this state for over 100 years. keep up the fight.

This is a great first stand to keep these hunts going on. It is a shame that they are trying to take it away. Im curious to hear the "complaints" as to what these hunts really hurt. I have never seen anything going on that would hurt anyones property or persons. Most if not all hunters are very respectable and respect the property of others, private and public lands. If we can help in anyway please let us know and we help to do whatever we can. In the meantime we all need to really respect the rules and regulations they have enforced and not throw them any fuel for the fire. If they can show some wrong doing by us hunters, they will use it against us in the decisions they will face in the near future.

you are correct in your statement because they are preparing a book on everything . we found out that here in la. . that wrote tickets for seat belts, inspection stickers, horseback riders etc. and use that as a safety issue in our court case. wrote tickets for group gathering to each lunch on dirt forest roads while taking lunch breaks from hunting. you name it and they wrote a ticket for it. get prepare for all kind of things.

The ADHA is in Te process of setting up a legal fund account that people and kennels can donate to. This savings account will go untouched untill we need it. Please know that this fight we will soon be facing will be very costly and time consuming but it is a obstacle We must overcome together to protect our Heritage.

Wheres the money ya'll been getting from the hunters

US Forest Service law enforcement officials can be difficult to work with. At the first field trial I held in Conecuh National Forest we had about 10 hunters and 25 hounds. An official drove from his station about 4 hours away and rode around the forest until he found where we were congregated. Started to write me a ticket for blocking the road because I didn't pull over far enough but they had already told us not to take our trucks off the roads so he just insulted us for 30 minutes and drove off. That was about 8 years ago and we have not had a problem with them since but it sure was a rocky start.

fellow hunters in ark., please join in this fight. they will need every one of you. the numbers mean everything in this political world. I hope ark. , miss., and la. hunters can join together along with hunters in others states to support this fight.

If you are cocerned about where your money is going. Feel free to attend our annual meeting where the books are open to the members.

Got a letter back yesterday from Tom cotton he has requested information from the director of the national forestry service. The questions were asked about changes in the national forest. I will let everyone know the results when I get them.

people we best band together against the forest service the law officer in our buckville area wrote my 72 year old mother a 125 dollar ticket for accidently dropping it while pouring it n out going down the highway even her explaining to him it war a accident , what it boils down to is that he seen the dog box and he just to find a reason to pull me over so get ready guys because i am certain we will have to deal with the jerk this b coming weekend