​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

Masterfox Message
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Your all time best hound?

What was or is your best hound you ever fed? Even from when you where a kid or up to today. What was there breeding? Just tring to get something worth reading on here please no bashing or no names please.

Re: Your all time best hound?

Cluff's white lighting ( garner's drift away x davis's pretty gal ) he was 1/8 july 7/8 walker he was by far the best I 've ever owned or hunted with in a pen or outside and had the biggest squall mouth I've ever heard. His been dead about 2 years but I think about him every time I go hunting

in 1970 when I got out of the army I came back home to finish up my college degree. my mom and dad had raised me 4 young dogs that went back to dawson sride. the dog which I call SHOUT was a outstanding running hound on gray or red fox along with deer. these 4 hounds were an excellent family of hounds. we run on the outside in those days around cannaan and bethel church in Washington parish. I run these 4 dogs and their sire, and had some excellent races. old SHOUT just seem to have great fox sense along with a good nose, speed, and a fast chopping mouth. I ran in those days with big hat bateman, leo crowe, mr. hezie mulina, shane husser, huey husser, and grandpa mike fisher. what a great time in my life.

Without a doubt a hound I owned by the name of Curries Diamond on the outside. He could jump a Red Fox quicker than any hound I ever knew. He had speed and could run him like he was tied to him barking every breath with an outstanding mouth and was game and 100 percent deer proof.Anytime I pulled up and hunters hounds were trailing the first thing they asked was if I had Diamond in the truck.When I said yes they would say turn him loose. In short order he would be running and the race was on.He was by A Wrights Lee Mar male and a Fairley's Big Red(Flying Limber Gowan) female.
Now in the pens it was a female Almand's Pepper.She was by McDaniel's Playboy ex Terrebonne's Penny. Playboy was by Phillip's Hi Tail and Penny was by Canoy's Ringo. Sure wish I had a pen full like her now as she was probably the best hound in the pens I ever went with anywhere. She was special for sure.

Without a doubt,Jack Branch Kitty was the best hound that ever had my collar on.She went back to Calloway Scout,Fourche River Rambler,Knight!s Ringo Rambler.She could jump and run a gray fox, a red fox, or deer before most hounds got through using the bathroom!!She only opened once or twice before she jumped,a piece of game.I bred her to Streaking Stickman,and got some outstanding hounds off that cross.I also bred her to a liquor bred hound that I bought off Mr.Leon Canoy.He was straight out of Mare Branch Bandit.That was an outstanding cross.She had the nose and the staying power to finish those long races.She could run a gray or a dodging coyote as easy as any hound that I have ever seen run.I shure hated to loose her,I!ll never own another hound like her in my lifetime.Thanks Kitty for our time spent together.

Porky has some young dogs that are out of ol Scout right now that got all that blood real close.

I have owned a few that I called good hounds in my many years of Fox Hunting. Some are Ch. Colvin's Rip, Colvin's Fullback, Colvin's Lena, Colvin's Dixie, Colvin's Cover Girl, Colvin's Playmate, and Colvin's Hatefull. Out of all of these the one that stands out was a hound I called Colvin' Hy-Ball. He was gave to me as a pup by the late Mr. Felix Simonton, a good friend and a good hounds man who I learned a lot from. Hy-Ball was born deer proof and was the type hound that you dreamed about. He was a Johnson bred hound that new how to jump a fox or coyote and could run it and make you stand up and listen. He was never field trailed but earned his repetition with local hunters on his performance every time he went hunting. Tough as nails and could profuse game better than any hound I had ever seen. Lost him one night and did not find him for a week. The next Friday night Jimmy Martin and I went hunting at the same place. We jumped a grey fox and the race was on at a place we called Swamp Field. I heard Hy-Ball put in and the next morning he was man handling our pack of dogs after being out a week. A once and a life time hound that I got a lot of enjoyment out of and was proud to have my collar on. Thanks Mr. Felix Simonton for letting me own such a great hound.

Great reading right here!! Keep it coming.

I would have to say my best was mcfanns Dixie liq , Dixie was from a family of true fox hounds came into this world 100% deer proof, she was off of tyres lobo liq x tyres shadow liq, hunted with all litter mates and sire and dam and all were very good fox hounds, Dixie had a litter mate tyres Elvira liq that was a outstanding hound, Mr Bob osteen bought her from Charles tyre and got her ran over messed up 1 of her back legs, but that didn't stop her none she would forsure get her part of a race, Dixie was the type of hound that always performed, put her on the ground where there was fox or cat and she could find one, had some guys from north Carolina come here to buy some young dogs one time and they were lookin at Dixie asked what she was , asked them if they brought a camera with them they said no and asked why I said they could take a picture and care it home and hang it on the wall and they would always know what a real foxdog looked like ! hounds like ones best will make a man judge dogs close, lookin for one that will be close to them , but most of the time there one in a lifetime, perfect hounds are not outhere if somebody says they have a perfect one they haven't been hunting very long all have faults, hunt them and pay attention and one will see

As in lots of places, the hunting has changed alot with time for us here.. I would have to say my best outside hound running coyotes was a female my dad gave me as a pup.. I called her Pinky's Echo. She was off of Hi Class Red Billy and Pinky Mc... Billy was out of a Flowers bred hound that Mike Andrews had. Hi Class Red Johnny..His dam was Jim's Lemon Drop. Pinky was out of Ouchita Playboy and Amos' Rose. Echo had a good clear caulking(spelling?) mouth and would scream out on a pickup. She would absolutely run off and leave hounds after a pickup if they weren't careful.. Probably my favorite hound I ever had..
As times changed and it was hard to run outside we switched over to pen running. As most know it takes a different hound to pleasure hunt in pens..My best hound for pleasure hunting in pens was a hound that I got from Mr Joe Cantwell from Alpena, Ar. His name was DB Black Dutchman. He had a good clear chop mouth and I think he barked twice everytime he picked a foot up. He was a fast track running hound that could run a coyote like he was tied to it.. Got sick and died at a young age.. Would love to have another like him..You didn't see him in the road ever unless you were shining a light when they crossed a road. He was out of Disheroon Rattler which was out of Wib's Go Jo Jester and Lowery's Crowe. His dam was Bailey's Red Katie which was out of Wib's Black Jet J and Bake's Lady Outlaw.
Another hound I had that was more for the one day type hunts was a hound named DB Bob Snell.. Snell was a hound that could sure enough run a coyote like he was tied to it and had a knack of running game up tight. He wasn't exceptionally fast but it was hard for cutting hounds to hit on him because he ran his game so tight. He had a hard driving mouth and would squall some when up really tight on game. I won several local hunts with him and placed in several more. I sold him to Mr Stonecipher and wish I hadn't. He is gone and the money is too.. I raised a litter of pups from him before I sold him and still have a male and two females that I am raising pups from.. Last account I had, Harland was still running him some and has pups off of him. He won the 2011 OK State with him in the big pen in Centrahoma. Snell was out of Haney's Crook which was out of Snell's Levi and Haney's Brown Leg H. His dam was White River Patch which was out of T-Roy Liquor and LF's Shorty B.
All three hounds are dogs I wish I had some like although they were all different type hounds.

It would be hard to pick I have had a few good ones. If I had to pick It would be Wright's Lee Mar on the outside,and Canoy's Ringo in the pen. Ringo was born deer proff run him very litter on the outside what makes them so special was their abilty to produce their equal.

My all time best all around hound would have to be gators Fred. He had plenty of speed an noise. He had the biggest hart I've ever seen in a hound. I could mark a buck track before daylight and come back at 4 o'clock in the evening and he would leave the rd squallen an jump him 90percent of the time. When he got up he had baetter be a running to.I had alot of fun and have alot of memories with him. My best field trial dog would be ch. Gators show nuff. She was outa foxhalls twister and Milton s happy. . In 06 she won the sd an endurance an hga second in the ogchee river at 4 years old. I took her home bread her. In 07 I was getting some more hounds ready to go back. I got to noticing she was out running everything I had.so I got number an took her back. She was second sd, 5 hunting,1st endurance an 1st hga. I won a bunch of sd with her. She knew what to do in a big pack of hounds.

Hi Mr leon canoy this jimmy fox from ny .....I bought that scooter dog off you a couple of yrs ago....wanted to let you know we bred him to one of our females out of our best male dog.......holy **** what a great cross the pups are eleven months old now and are doing awesome ....they can run the **** out of those coyotes and caught on real fast .There fantastic on a track and have mouths that never quit .There the best looking hounds out of any cross we ever......really impressed and gonna find out what there made of on the outside here real soon.ill keep you posted on there progress.

Old danger Dan by far he can out run out last most hounds.he is the type hound that hunters and hounds fear when he is put
Down with them .

Best by a mile was an old lemon and white male I called Watts Alf. He was by Alldreads Ike, a line bred Rose Haven hound that was hard to deal with outside and a linebred Haggin-Raider gyp owned by Hugh and Steve Watts who gave me Alf as a young hound, just started.
The first time I really sat up and noticed him, he stepped out ahead of my pack outside and didn't look back. Stuff happens. Beginners' luck? That was the first time I witnessed that occurrence but far from the last.
He was the only hound I've ever owned that was a front-ender and got better the longer the race lasted. He had a running-mate who was 7/8 the same breeding. Dakota was a chunky, track-running little hound who couldn't run with Alf the first couple hours but who used his wits and grit to get back in and then for the next eight-ten-twelve-fourteen hours that pair of hounds would drive their game until they caught it; holed it or you put the hook on them.
I can't count the number of promising young hounds that pair of old buggers made quit, but I found a lot of my up-and-comers laying in a fence corner next morning while those old Ike dogs kept hammering away.
Alf won the '91 Augusta field trial by dominating the last day. I talked with a few judges years later who said they scored him running alone a number of times because he was the only hound really in the race.
He was deer-resistant, although every once in a while, if he hunted for hours and didn't jump game, he'd give one a chase. He sired several good hounds that we born deer proof, including one that held the pen scoring record at Mallens for a number of years.
He was a fast, tough old curmudgeon who ran to catch and fought hard when he did. He was banned by one pen owner who then bred several gyps to him. He was the hardest hunting hound I've seen. I praised him. I cussed the hard-headed cantakerous old coot when I'd be the last one left in Mallens still trying to head him off and I'd love to have just one more like him.

best hound I fed as a kid I would have to say was a hound named col. rye (bil-mar mr.mugg x bilmar ruby haggin )lots of hours of red fox runnin..in my late teens I had a gyp I called red ruby off of high class red johnny and a liquer gyp that was one fast coyote machine..her life was cut short at 3 by a shoot happy land owner as far as of late I got a toss up I have a old gyp (8 y o) named suzy rye about six generations down from the aforementioned that can run a track and get it across the road she will go to a yippin coyote and can run a fox if one can be found but she is a ugly little thing with a ugly mouth and not much speed plenty of hours ...now for the youngin r/b dot raider she is a 3 year old gyp that is a pretty good gyp all around good speed good track runnin and can log in the hours she isn't afraid of a yote either she is out of a strait raider dog of mine and a gunstock casper gyp that's about all for now unless somthin comes to me ..im huntin tomorrow

I wish whoever keeps using my name on here would stop! Whoever you are you must be jealous of Dan because he has taken your money in the past several times.

Mr. Stokes is this hound standing at stud, if so what is his breeding and How much Does it cost to breed to him.Thanks

No he is not at stud, he's the slowest hound I have ever owned but he is very intelligent and everybody hates him so they all feel the need to pick on me about him

Wow iv had some great hounds, over the years. This post made me think back. About them all. Now how to decide which was the best , that's the trick! The hard truth may be that she is I'n my pen right now!! Iv got a running machine. So good after a deer that I don't like to run her. And if you got still huntin leases any where near you. It's a nightmare ! Won't take her unless the right hunters are there with me to help stay on her. When you load one or two hounds to go huntin. You know you got somthin right.