​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

Masterfox Message
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Making a dog "straight"??

I no that some hounds are born straight. But say I had a litter of pups and wanted them to run coytes or fox on the outside and want to train them to not run a deer? What's something I can do to keep them deer proof? Thanks.

Re: Making a dog "straight"??

BTT.

I use to raise deer proof beagles
I put electric fence over head of fence
Then run electric wire down in middle
of pen to a coffee can put some holes in bottom
Then put deer sent on a rag two are three times
A week. Put pups in at eight weeks
They want start deer race but you take
Them with deer dog they may run with
Them. It works good hunting.

this is the way I do it, I am a outside fox and cat hunter and have broke a many of one, and have a pen full of broke ones now ! the easiest way is with a hot collar, but theres other ways I will not mention on here, ways I can make him 95% broke in the pen at home, if you have a dog that will run a deer turn him out and get one started and send the ones you want to break to him and when they all get there and get to running it real good fry them till there under the truck , have no mercy on them , I promise u this will work, another way put the hot collar on him in the pen at home , and fry him and shoot the shotgun up in the air he will put the 2 together and when u go to the woods all u need to do is take the shotgun with u and when he messes up blast one over his head and he will hunt the truck, this will also work if he wont come and your ready to go, but never shoot or shock him off the right game u want him to run, a hot collar will work wonders with a dog but it will also ruin one real quick , always use it sparingly , actually be scared to use it until your 100% he is wrong, I have broke a lot of hounds and theres not one alive I cant break this way and others, but always know what he is doing if ur in doubt hunt the track when they cross the road this will forsure tell u !!! as I said before have no mercy , later on it will pay off they will load by themselfes and come when called

Thanks.

The shock collars are the only way, as far as I'm concerned (as long as the hound isn't crazy). Don't use too early on a young hound. I always preferred to start my young hounds in a pen without deer in it to limit their exposure to them. Once your hounds get around a year old to 15 months (or very settled on running their game) put them on a deer race. Know they are on a deer race, and let TriTronics end the deer race. It may take more than one time, but it's effective.