​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

Masterfox Message
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Law that stops outside gov land running?

Herd this week that there is new law that has passed to stop all running of all hounds on government land?? Says that if that season isn't in then the dogs can't be out. This is in south ms. Herd they been righting tickets this week already. Ant info would be nice. Thanks.

Re: Law that stops outside gov land running?

You are 100% right. House Bill. 864, gives the commission the right to regulate this law. www.mdwfp.com/media/201868/nuisance_regs_for_public.pdf is the regulation. part B states it. If this is the case they cannot have the nationals this year in Grenada. It's public land this year. next year it could be Private land. Get on the phones and computers and contact every Senator and Representative you can get in touch with. Folks this is serious.

HUNTERS TAKE NOTE !!!!!!
I'm not familiar with this new law in Ms., but this is what I've been trying to get across to all hunters. Ask your self, will they do away with dog hunting in South Ms.? Not long ago your answer would probably been NO. We as hunters can prevent a lot of this if we unite if we don't it's going to be taken away from us. I urge each of you to get involved with your local and state organizations, if we don't unite I feel you can rest assured this kind of rules and regulations are coming to your neck of the woods.
We at the LSA are trying to combat laws and regulations like the above mentioned but we can't be successful without membership. We need you to join today
Thanks
Mike

The only thing I see in hb 864 that relates to hounds is how animals can be hunted or taken. Nothing about running or conditioning. Section b of the mwfp rules only states how nuisance animals can be hunted on private land. That can't affect the national, because it's run on private and leased land. I see some areas in the bill that can be grey where the phrase " can be regulated" appears. I'm sure I'm not understanding this junk correctly due to me being outraged all of this

Here in Florida you can't run on government owned property unless its season, but the game commission did start issuing permits for coon hunts and fox dogs since our pens are closed. I'm not sure how your law is but I gather that you can only run when there is an open season?

John, up until now we could run on any gov land anytime except during turkey season

From what I can tell is this. If I go to Leaf River WMA tonight and turn loose like I have for 25 years they can right me a ticket???

IT'S BEEN LIKE THAT IN ALABAMA FOR A LONG TIME.THE ALABAMA LAW BOOK READS THAT YOU CAN RUN COYOTE'S IN THE DAYLIGHT HOURS ONLY & RUN FOX AT NIGHT.WE CAN RUN DEER FOR OCT.1ST - JAN.15TH.FROM OCT.1ST -NOV.22ND NO GUNS.HOPE IT WORKS OUT FOR YA'LL.IT IS TERRIBLE THAT PEOPLE KEEP TAKING OUR RITES AWAY.

I have been telling people for years that the us forest service are taking over like a dictatorship. They have used the force of the US government to stop dog hunting in the homochitto national forest. They tell the game and fish commission how bad the dog hunters are, and the commissioners just say ok, we will stop dogs. The commissioners are appointed by the governor. They are rich people who probably never set foot in these national forest. So when you call your congressmen and senators, you need to tell them to cut there funding totally. They are like dictators. Dog hunting is not the only hunting they are ruining. They SHOULD BE SHUT DOWN!!!

hunters, the only way to combat this is having a strong hunting assoc. and everyone get on board. this is a political world and they look at strength in numbers. we have been fighting this in Louisiana for over 5 years. we met with Ronnie McMillian last week to discuss these issues and hope to get states to pull together to fight this. we need every congressman from a number of state to step up and shut down the forest by cutting their budget and speaking out for the hunters. we need state and national leaders to step up.

Heard that the MS. WILDLIFE AND FISHERIES are going to meet with the US FOREST SERVICE. We all know how that turns out. The USFS and the MDW&F are having a meeting in Franklin county later this week, from what I heard. But I think the subject is going to be about something else. In the march minutes in the MDW&F minutes the ANTI-DOG GROUP asked the commission to stop the running of dogs in the summer months. If they had to ask for them to stop this, IT MUST NOT BE AGAINST THE LAW. The man in charge of the US FOREST in franklin county said that HE personally went to MS. DEPT. OF WILDLIFE to stop dog hunting. He is using his personal feelings to make the rule of law. I also called that office and told them I was for dog hunting, and even though they were nice to me during that conversation, they told me they had documented complaints about people calling that office complaining about dog hunters. So before the conversation ended I asked them if they documented me as being for the running of dogs, and the answer was NO. So they documented only the calls they wanted too!

Same blue print they used on Louisiana dog hunters.

I read 864. Hog hunters and a few bad deer hunters are making private landowners mad is what I read. I did not see were Grenada or foxhunting was mentioned.

Does anyone know when and where the next scheduled meeting the commission has ??

David I think it is September 17 at 2:30 PM

I have been on the phone and had emails between a couple of our representatives in the last couple of days.
The problem is, coyote and hog is not listed in approved hunting with dogs at this time. The federal boys are handing out warnings and citations at this time due to that. The represenitives that I have talked to said they would be looking into it for us. The guys are right though, everyone needs to join the closest hubting dog chapter and get involved with this.

Also, y'all like the hunting dog association on Facebook and Dale Trotter is keeping posted what he's finding out there as well. We are also going to post what reps and senators are working with us on this before election time too.

Btt

Keep calling guys don't back up one bit. They told me when I called Thad Cochrans office they were getting flooded with calls. If you don't then it's your own faults. Just Sayin

If you stop by your local Feed Stores, Vets, anyone who profits from dog hunters let them know whats going on. I stopped by the CB Shack in Petal,MS yesterday and was talking to them about it, and he's been on the phone all morning to our Representatives asking question and showing support. Every little bit helps.

I've read through this entire bill and nowhere in there does it mention anything about dogs. It's all about feral hogs, i.e. nuisance animals.

http://legiscan.com/MS/text/HB864/id/934015

For those that can't COPY and PASTE to the URL....

MISSISSIPPI LEGISLATURE

2014 Regular Session

To: Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks

By: Representatives Carpenter, Alday, Arnold, Boyd, Rushing

House Bill 864
AN ACT TO AMEND SECTIONS 49-7-31.5 AND 49-7-140, MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972, TO PROHIBIT THE TRANSPORTATION OR RELOCATION OF LIVE WILD HOGS WITHIN THE STATE; TO PROVIDE THAT THE LAWS SHALL NOT BE CONSTRUED TO PROHIBIT THE TRANSPORTATION OF DOMESTIC SWINE; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI:

SECTION 1. Section 49-7-31.5, Mississippi Code of 1972, is amended as follows:

49-7-31.5. (1) The hunting, trapping and taking of nuisance animals shall be regulated by the commission. The commission may adopt regulations to regulate the hunting, trapping and taking of nuisance animals and to control the population of nuisance animals.

(2) (a) Landowners, agricultural leaseholders or their designated agents may take predatory and nuisance animals year-round on lands owned or leased by them.

(b) Landowners, agricultural leaseholders or their designated agents may take nuisance animals with any type of weapon and may take nuisance animals during the night after legal hunting hours on lands owned or leased by them with a permit issued by the department.

(c) No license is required for a resident landowner hunting or trapping nuisance animals on his own land. An agricultural leaseholder, designated agent and any other person must possess either an all-game hunting license or trapping license, unless otherwise exempt.

(3) The taking of any animal or animals other than nuisance animals by the use of a trap or traps is unlawful except during the time the season is open for the taking of fur-bearing animals.

(4) Nuisance animals may be run, chased or pursued with dogs, except as provided in Section 49-7-32, year-round by licensed hunters.

(5) Nuisance animals may be hunted with the aid of electronic calls.

(6) Nuisance animals may be hunted or trapped with the aid of bait and lures, on private lands, according to regulations adopted by the commission.

(7) Any part of a nuisance animal may be bought and sold year-round.

(8) (a) Wild hogs may not be caught or trapped and released * * *into the wild at a location different from the location where the wild hog was caught or trapped.

(b) A violation of this subsection is a Class I violation and is punishable as provided under Section 49-7-141.

(9) When hunting wild hogs during any open gun season on deer, a hunter must wear in full view at least five hundred (500) square inches of solid unbroken fluorescent orange.

SECTION 2. Section 49-7-140, Mississippi Code of 1972, is amended as follows:

49-7-140. (1) No person may import into the state or release into the wild, any live feral hog, wild swine or Russian Boar.

(2) No person may transport or relocate within the state any live feral hog, wild swine or Russian Boar * * * and release the hog into the wild.

(3) For the purposes of this section, "feral hogs, wild swine or Russian Boar" are defined as any hog that is not a domesticated pet or livestock * * *; and "released into the wild" is defined as being able to move about freely to adjoining land.

(4) A violation of this section is a Class I violation punishable as provided in Section 49-7-141.

(5) Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the lawful transport of domestic swine for customary and ordinary purposes of intrastate or interstate commerce, or agricultural practices.

SECTION 3. This act shall take effect and be in force from and after July 1, 2014.

From the MS Hunting Dog Facebook Page:

"We have officially confirmed that it is legal to run nuisance animals on National Forests in Mississippi. A special thanks to all of our Federal and State Politicians that helped obtain this clarification and all of you that took the time to get involved. Together we can continue to preserve dog hunting in our state! If you haven't yet joined the organization fighting for your dog hunting privileges, now would be a great time to do so!"

So we "can" run coyotes and fox on government land?? Just not deer?

Good deal. For the guys that hasn't joined the Mississippi Hunting Dog Association yet, its time to give up that 10 dollars and join. They work very hard to keep us in business. You know who you are so stop being a tight wad and come off that money.

Btt

So the original un named post that started this was misinformation.

Not totally. Officers were writing warnings for running! USNF was telling us dog running on public land was illegal. It's clarified now. How we have done things for years is back to normal. Except for with the hogs

Awesome Job fellas!! Way to step up and work to save your rights!! I am from Florida but am a member of the MDHA and will be renewing my membership ASAP. thou I have Lacked in doing so!

WAY TO GO!

All of the states dog hunter board members need to set down and figure out a way to come together across the board.If Mississippi is fighting a battle there then the rest of the dog associations should come together to help. We all have to remember if they set a law in one state it will soon spread to others. Especially if you are talking National forest issues.This does not have to be a money issue. Numbers and signatures will win this battle. Especially if we add all of our member base together.
I have talked to several of the officials from MS,LA,AL and they all agree that we need to be able to transfer membership numbers across state lines but nothing has been done to get the ball rolling. As the President of the Arkansas Dog Hunters Association I am willing to and very much want to get the ball rolling on this. If anyone has any suggestions on this please lets get together as state dog hunters and join hands across state lines.
We will need the help from ALL of our dog brothers and sisters before this thing is over.

Radar
Awesome Job fellas!! Way to step up and work to save your rights!! I am from Florida but am a member of the MDHA and will be renewing my membership ASAP. thou I have Lacked in doing so!

WAY TO GO!

I don't know that anything was done here. Someone got caught up in spreading rumors instead of facts. Someone else got the law clarified and showed that it was indeed rumors.

If it was a rumor or misunderstanding or whatever the case. Hats off to mhda for being on top of things and active members for calling or emailing.

Mississippi has never tried to stop any hounds near Grenada.This was posted in the second post on this post and was misleading.

this was discuss with Ronnie McMillan a few weeks ago about getting all the states together. it is in the works but has not been move on yet. we also trying to get all the fox pens to join the effort in order to fight for our hunting rights. Jeremy , we need to ban together because there is power in numbers. in politic, numbers mean everything.

It was not a rumor, there were hunters who actually got warning's from federal agents. We were told by Senators Cochran's aide that they were told a ROUGE Officer interpreted the law the way he wanted. It is being investigated. Everyone needs to call your congressmen and women and ask where the National Forest funding comes from. They can cut the funding if they are not going to give all hunters equal time to hunt as they wish.

This was not rumours or misunderstandings. Yall need to understand this was a very close call for dog hunting on all government land. The game warden righting the warnings was federal. If the decision would have went in his favour that would have been it. if you think just cause you live in Grenada or only hunt on lease land that it wouldnt have affected you, than you need to open your eyes an see the big picture. This year national forest equals state wide next year. Battles win wars. As far as Grenada is concerned what do you think core land is? You take all the army core of engineers land out of the picture good luck keeping the dogs on magnum.

It was definitely not a rumor. I hunt with some of the guys who got the warnings at Camp Shelby. You can take it lightly if you want to, but whats going to happen next? Just like what happen earlier in the summer when they met at Paul B to stop hunting in Delta National and up North. I really don't think some of you understand that if we slip just a little then ****s gonna hit the fan. Sit back if you want to, but I would rather over react then give them one inch.

Don't think for a minute that our way of hunting is garunteed for future years unless we watch for things like this and stay united. I beleive if your going to own any kind of hunting dogs or if you hunt in pens or outside you should pay your $10 to ms hda. In the last several years I've seen them stand in the gap and keep things from getting pushed through in Jackson that would have been the end for dog hunters. Don't say it won't happen where I hunt.

Mr. John P. it really shows you made zero effort to find any facts out for yourself before blasting out people for spreading rumors. If it hadnt been for the MSHDA an all the members calling an righting emails, that one federal game wardens interpretation of the law would have stood. Therefore if you want to sit on your hands an not do your part that is fine, but dont get on here criticizing the people standing up for our rights.

sounds like the deer hunters saved foxhunting.

Clint Henson
Mr. John P. it really shows you made zero effort to find any facts out for yourself before blasting out people for spreading rumors. If it hadnt been for the MSHDA an all the members calling an righting emails, that one federal game wardens interpretation of the law would have stood. Therefore if you want to sit on your hands an not do your part that is fine, but dont get on here criticizing the people standing up for our rights.

Zero effort? I copied and pasted the entire Bill for people to read. I know at least half the people on here couldn't or didn't take the time to read it for themselves before they chimmed in. I wasn't saying the part about hunters getting warned or ticketed was rumors. I was referring to the Bill itself and what it said. One ingnorant game warden couldn't write everyone a ticket and who's to say the judge would have help up the convictions anyway.