​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

Masterfox Message
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Who started you in hunting dogs?

Who gave you your start in hunting dogs? Or who did you look up to as a child?

Re: Who started you in hunting dogs?

There is 3 men that I still look up to today. Mr Roger Knight , Bro Kebo Harvison, and Mr Tim Woods. Mr Roger has given me hounds as well as brood gyps to breed to with no charge. Not culls but good dogs with great bloodlines. Not many folks in the fox hunting world today are willing to help a young man out like that. Bro Kebo is who I run with every week. He has helped me a lot teaching an showing me what a good hound should look like. Mr Tim has given me good advise on what to look for in a winner. All 3 men have helped and still help me and I am very thankful for there help. I have in return tried my best to pass it on. God Bless and Happy Hunting.

My Dad !

My dad !! From the time I could walk until now I've always had hounds and loved every min. of it

The Greatest Man in the World
Melvin L. Kates..
Truth be know he probably carried me more miles in the woods driving dogs than i walked before i was 3 years old. And i thank him for it. He now is showing his years and i try every drive to run one out on him. If he is awake or involved in a cross word puzzle. Lol..Love that man.
Patrick Kates

MY DAD & BROTHER.THEY GOT ME STARTED W/DEER DOGS.GOT A FEW CULL FOX DOGS ABOUT 25YEARS AGO & GOT HOOKED INSTANTLY.WE HAVE BEEN BLESSED TO BEABLE TO TRAVEL AROUND & HUNT W/A LOT OF GOOD HUNTERS & EVEN BETTER PEOPLE.WE HAVE MET A LOT OF FOLKS THAT I CONSIDER MY FRIEND NOW & THAT HAS BEEN A LOT OF FUN.WHERE WE LIVE THERE ARE NOT MUCH FIELD TRIALS ANYMORE & HARDLY EVER DO WE GET TO GO TO A TRIAL THAT WE SLEEP IN OUR BEDS.WE ARE NOT CLOSE TO ANYWHERE BUT RITE SMACK DEAD IN THE MIDDLE OF EVERYBODY(ALABAMA).

WAR EAGLE!!!

My olé buddy glen Spears (sport)

Biddy Johnson an wade cotton goats me runnins hounds ole pepper can run all they get mad cause I smoke the ole cull they have oh yea and Terra mocks his dogs be pecice of crap they be runnied armadilets 1 times

Well I guess about 35 years ago my dad bought two lil gyp beagles though my dad really wasn't a hunter per say !! He was a farmer that loved to work and make a few rabbit hunts after the harvest of the sugar cane. I learned how to drive the old farm truck at ten years old ,would load those two beagles my dad would say where you think your going?? I'd tell him gong run some rabbits!! He would just smile and shake his head!! So I guess it would be my dad for letting a ten year old load up two beagles a drive on the dirt road in the field behind our house to go run rabbits!! When I got about 19 years old a good friend Steve Troxclair invited me to go dog hunting for deer!! Though they did not shoot does the first time I saw 15 head blowing and going on an ole nanny I was hooked!! I told my self I have to get me some of them hounds as that music was like one I had never heard!! Then I started with three walkers running at swampland fox pen in Plaquemine,La!! That's when I fell in love with fox hunting!! And here we are 25 years later and I still love running those hounds!! Thank you God for letting me be able to run my hounds as I really don't know where I would be without them!! They have helped me get though some of the hardest times in my life by giving me something good and wholesome to do!! God bless all of you I call my friends God bless this great sport of fox hunting!! God bless and happy hunting/running

I would have to say Ed Miller. Thank you Ed you are my Hero

I would really appreciate it that whoever used my name on here wouldn't do it anymore and mind their own business and get a life and leave me out of stuff!! My grandpaw Mr B.E. Stokes started me hunting many years ago.

My dad Fred , Sr. Started me with hog and squirrel dogs , then I started deer hunting with dogs and then started fox hunting about 30 years ago. I got my first walker dog when I was 15 years old and have never been without them. I am also giad to see my son Jimmy has a love for dog hunting and has passed it on to my grandchildren , Corrie and Chris. Jim Eastman

Johnnie Morgan of Tallahassee Florida. He was my best friends dad. His son wasn't as interested in it as I was and he showed me a lot. He taught me how to drive in schullers pen(probably spelled wrong) and taught me plenty more while riding with him.

My dad was the person who got me in to running dogs deer hunting I can't remember exactly how old I was but it was way before I could carry a gun. When I was around 13 my uncle Ronnie Nowell and my cousin Reid gave me my first pack of full blooded walkers 2 grown gyps and a gyp pup I called Little Sister. When daddy was at work uncle Ronnie would come get me and take me hunting with him and he taught me a lot about hounds, and had some of the best hounds I've ever laid eyes on. Claude Hinton taught me a lot about pedigrees and introduced me to running fox and coyotes. Those two fellas right there I'd say has had the greatest impact on me. Men like that is what's gonna keep this sport going. Those that work with youngins that's not theirs and help them get started with these hounds.

The late Mr. L D Colvin got me started in hounds and foxhunting. Hunted a many night with him. One tough hunter that loved it. Met the late Mr. Felix Simonton and he gave me my 1st registered pups that made good hounds. He had a lot of knowledge of hounds and enjoyed listening to stories of old hunts. Saw those white hounds of Mr. David Hellums and knew I had to have some. Met Mr. David and bought some pups and we soon became friends. Learned a lot from Mr. David and we had some good times field trialling. One amazing man with a lot of knowledge on hounds. Been really blessed with all the friends I have made in this great sport. Times have changed a lot thru all these years but I still love to hear a good hound run and keeping up with all the hunts.

my grandpa mike fisher started taking me hunting when I was around 5 yrs. old. grandmother fisher would make sure I had plenty of clothes, blankets, and food for the night. grandpa would built a fire down behind sam smith old place and the red fox race was on. some great times in life. I wish we still had the outside running today like we has some 45 years ago.

My dad started this sickness 55 years ago,,,,,,We been doing it a long time. He was 85 in July,,keeps about 15 hounds and goes with me at least twice a week..Ya see GOD is good....

My dad started me hunting when I was 3 years old.

My dad he started taking me at 5 or 6 months old. Some of my earliest memories are waking up in the woods at 3 or 4 years old getting my self dressed and getting my breakfast ate then getting out of the truck with my bb gun to hunt while he was walking dogs

My dad started me out in the deer woods with beagles when I was 7 and I bought my first registered walker hounds from Sonny Watson when I was 18 and yes it is a disease that my wife hasn't been able to cure!