​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

Masterfox Message
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stud Dog - Puppy Proposition question

I know nowadays most people want to be paid if a female is bred to their stud dog. In the past there were many that just wanted a pup for the stud fee. I'm curious as to what was customary in all areas of the country on this subject. Do (or did) folks want pick of the litter, pick of male pups or just a pup for payment for breeding to a hound? In our area here in North Arkansas I remember it was customary for the stud dog owner to get choice male pup. Just curious as to what the norm is (was) in different areas.. Thanks for any replies...

Re: Stud Dog - Puppy Proposition question

I don't have a stud that stands out by any means, but we have bred him and he has thrown some nice pups. Me personally, I don't care about the money. Its not costing me if big Jim breeds. I would like to see his pups go on to big things and/or his name in the soy. That's worth more than any stud fee to me. If he is bred to a particular gyp that I like, I may ask for a pup but that's about it. I've got another derby male that has placed, and with a little luck and fingers crossed. He may do some winning. If I decide to breed him, it would be the same deal.

I don't fox or coyote hunt anymore. But did for many years and owned or had leased a number of great stud hounds. If it was a stud we owned and it was a gyp we were familiar with or a bloodline we wanted to try, every once in a while we would do it for a pick of the litter gyp puppy. But it really was rare because we raised so many ourselves. If it was a stud we had leased we would be obligated to pay the owner of the stud his fee. But again it would all depend on the gyp being bred. Hope this helps

Thanks for your replies. I am not asking this question because I have a dog I'm wanting to advertise as a stud.. A few of us were just talking some time back and the subject was brought up. I was just curious as to what everyone had always done through the years. I know in our area several of the hunters were not able to pay a stud fee and therefore worked out a puppy deal with stud owner. It was usually among friends. Things have changed alot in the last 20-30 years. The almighty dollar plays a much more major role now than then.