Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

Masterfox Message
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
3day

At what age do y'all start running your dogs in 3 day hunts

Re: 3day

A 22 month old just won the National. but it mostly depends on the hound. some think gyps mature earlier than males. the competition of hounds your running with makes a differance also. Lots of young dogs have had success but like anything else experience with conditioning is hard to beat. Anything over 24 months is an all age i believe.

I may not be the best candidate to answer cause I'm still learning a lot myself, but from what I've heard it all really depends on the hound. Some folks wait until they're 2 and out of the derby age, some just look at how the hound performs. I know folks that's entered hounds in 3 days as young as 13 months old. If I had a derby age hound that still looked real strong after the 2nd day of a derby hunt and scored real good I would consider putting him in a 3 day the next time. Just my opinion

Not that I know the true answer to your question . But I have a hound that is a three time field champion and he will be two years old I'm Dec . Some hounds are the best they gonna be at different ages. Got to know your hounds and how much experience they have .

its all in the competition and quality of hounds in the trial. Some hunts have a smaller number of hounds entered than others .55 all age compared to 120 and in some cases many more make things different.

To answer your question Back Woods Kennel . My pattern is run them in the derby from about 12 or 13 months till they are 17 or 18 months old. If they won't 3 day by then I don't need them . This is all based on a two class hunt . Now there are a whole lot of factors that may alter this pattern . That's just what I try to follow as close as I can cause I can't feed one two years to see if he/she might make a field champion . My Dad thinks I'm wrong that I should run them in the derby as long as they are under two years old .It all depends on what your goals are !!!

Back woods I would listen to Danny!! He has be around some of the top hunters in the country as well as being one in my opinion! Always keeps good hounds!! And knows how to condition a hound!! I know I pay attention when he's talking hounds.God bless and happy hunting!!