​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

Masterfox Message
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ron Sheridan

Received news that Ron Sheridan has passed away after suffering a stroke. He leaves a big pair of hunting boots for our country's hound men to attempt to fill.
For 50 years or more, inside or outside, when he was on the hunting ground, it was a pretty good bet the first hound across the road would have Ron Sheridan's name tag on its collar.
It was no accident. He demanded and most times got, front end dominance from his hounds. He was an astute breeder and he loved to hunt. He was wiling to talk -- not loudly -- but if you were willing to listen he'd share his wealth of experience regarding competitive fox hounds.
Most times, he wouldn't talk long. He'd be in the field watching hounds perform -- his and yours. He wouldn't point out faults in other people's hounds, wasn't his style, but if someone's hound was performing, he'd voice his approval.
His success as a breeder encompassed both Canada and the U.S. At one time, it seemed like every other stud hound in the Chase was out of his Diceman hound.
He loved and owned good, fast, competitive hounds. He was a hunter. He will be missed.

Re: Ron Sheridan

Very Sad news Eric,Your message was the Ron that I new,very good hounds man and breeder,will be missed. Thanks for sharing. Your Friend Sonny.

Sad news indeed. Thoughts and prayers with his family. I met him in the early 90's in Alabama as we had a mutual friend in Billy Adams who introduced us. He asked me to take him hunting outside, I did. While I very rarely jumped a red fox on the outside (mostly gray fox and deer), he and I jumped a dandy of a red and got several crossings in the Coldwater thickets of Blackwater. After that day he proclaimed this area a "foxhunter's paradise" as though there was a red fox behind every bush. He was one of the hardest hunters I ever met. And very considerate. His young hounds were impressive that day. I regret losing contact with Ron but I am glad I got to meet and hunt with him.

Sad news to hear.. Was fortunate enough to get to hunt with him and can't explain how much I learned from him. He truly will be missed. Great hunter

MR.RON SHERIDAN WAS A FINE MAN ,HIS DICEMAN DOG PRODUCED SOME OF THE FASTEST AND EASIEST TO START PUPPIES IN THE SOUTHEAST PART OF THE UNITED STATES.

So sorry to here of Mr. Ron's passing I met him many years ago at the sandsifters fox pen, I had bought a hound from Mack Mcleod called Mcleods Rufus out of Diceman and Walton's Holly ,Ron shared many things to look for in a hound and taught me more about breeding than anyone i had ever talked with. I loved hearing him tell stories about when he used to hunt with Percy Flowers and tell about the many fast hounds he had raised in the past He surely made his mark on the fox hunting world. A young hunter and his father came and ran with me this past Saturday and he made the statement that one day he would like to have his own pen I told him of the time Ron told me Billy I set at my breakfast table and watch with my binoculars as my pups cross and I don't even have to go outside I told Corey right then I made up my mind that Lord willing one day I would have my own pen, Eric thanks for letting us know of Ron's passing my prayers are with his family.

He sure was a great man and taught me so much about hounds we have some of his last dogs and I'm proud to own them

I met him at a few hunts in the 90s he was a great Houndsman enjoyed some conversations with him and the Dicemans were on top of their game back then,,,, we lost a good foxhunter,,,as the old country song goes whos gonna fill their shoes?? Can you say your in this sport for the same reason these guys we are losing were?

I never got to meet mr. Sheridan, but I feel like I owe him a debt of gratitude. I haven't always owned my own fox dogs. But I have always had deer dogs. It wasnt until we started our new breeding off diceman when I was young, that I really started owning nice hounds. I've enjoyed so many fun days in the woods and turned several heads and I can't help but think it would not have happened if not for Ron Sheridan and his breeding. I hope that one day I can have as much impact on this breed of hounds as he has.