​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

Masterfox Message
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Grenada Lake points race

Ive seen all this talk about a points race in Grenada. I also see where I'm nominated to head it up. That's fine. I have no problem keeping up with the 6 or 7 hunts that are there annually if that's what y'all want, but does the hunters want it? Majority support is needed before attempting to begin, also the cooperation of each assn involved. I don't count all the no name posts on this topic. If u are in favor of a system similar to the masters leaderboard for the 3 day hunts held at Grenada lake only. simply post your correct name and if you are in favor of this or not. If you know hunters that attend these hunts, but don't have access to this website help them out. If this is to happen it would need to be done in the next few months. That being because the miss state will be the first hunt of the year and it's the first of march. So post your thoughts and opinions below. Good or not so good,but put your real name behind it. Thanks

Re: Grenada Lake points race

It will be a great thing for outside field trials. It seems like a positive thing.

It will be successful if you decide to do it and it will create a lot of interest in the local hunts for folks who are on the outside looking in.
Something to consider though is you may want to expand it beyond what the Leaderboard does as far as the hounds getting points from each hunt. Instead of just awarding points to the top ten maybe you can find some way to give points to all HGA places (so any hound that categories will get points). The reason I say this is because most likely you are only going to have a few hounds that place in the top 10 HGA at multiple Lake hunts in the same year. Those few hounds will come out at the top of the points race and behind them the ranking will depend a lot on the entry at whatever hunt they placed at (if you use an entry factor like the Leaderboard does). The more hounds with points sitting in striking distance at the end of the year the more exciting it will be.
If you do a Sire and Kennel component I think that will be very popular also.

Daniel I'm in favor of it. I think it would help draw more hunters to our local hunts. If I can do anything to help just let me know.

We are all for it!! Daniel I think you would be the man for the job

Mr Howell, you are right on your view of the HGA. I had something like that in mind. Giving points to categories. Thanks for the input. Jarrett. Chris thanks for the support. I'm sure this can only help the outside hunts

I KNEW U COULD DO IT SEYMOUR. U LOVE THE OUTSIDE HUNTS AT GRENADA MORE THAN ANYBODY I KNOW! THATS WHY I PUT UR NAME IN THERE! UR DA MAN!!

Pretty simple

Give each dog the HGA points they earn at each hunt. If he's 10th in hunting he's got 10 points....If he's 2nd in S&D and End. he's got 180 points.

And if the entry numbers are similar for most of the hunts, I wouldn't sweat having an entry factor..... Except maybe for the National/Futurity and the All American when it comes in there.

My 2 cents...

Have fun.

Dan the concept sounds good to me. I wouldn't want to get politics involved and start telling hunts who can and can't judge, run, etc. Just keep up with the point from each hunt run at the lake and post the standings. I think it would mean something to those of us that aren't able to travel around as much as we did in the past. We try to support all hunts at the lake when we can. Sometimes work gets in the way! LOL

Good point made by Brownland knls. No place for politics. The main concern should be the outside lake hunts and their loyal memberships.

Im all for it, and will help out all i can. Being no more hunts then what will be counted I dont think an entry factor should be used, even with the National because if a dog wasnt at any other hunt and was to win the hunting, speed and drive, an endurance if it counted for more than the other hunts it would have a very good chance at winning the points contest.

It makes sense to keep it simple and not bother with the entry factor or grade factor. Only real difference in grade might be Derby and All Age. Do you count both classes equally or does the All Age get more weight?
On a side note I think Christy Freeman's hound Pony Boy won a derby hunt down in Blackwater earlier in the year and then won the Blue Spring Open hunt in Alabama later in the year so some hounds are bound to place in both classes during the same year. I suspect Pony Boy would be the top hound in the Flora-Bama region this year but if Central Florida is considered also then Dog Pile and Paul Bullard would have been pretty competitive too.

I'm all for it Seymour.. Let me know if I can do anything to help out.

Heath I was thinking about the derby an all age breakdown too. I'm not sure how the leaderboard does it but if we went by HGA points an used a multiplier of 1.5 for the all age it would give the all age a lil more weight but keep it close enough for a hound that wins a derby an moves up to an all age in the course of the year. Just an idea, this ain't final by no means...

I think you hit the nail on the head. I would consider a derby to be worth 2/3 of an All Age and using your multiplier would weight them in that kind of proportion.

Piggybacking on your Grenada Lake points race, I think you could include virtually every outside hunt in North America and have a nation wide outside Leaderboard type program.
However y'all design your program I will try to keep track of the outside hunts in Florida and Alabama using the same system. At the end of the year you could compile the data and have one big final standings in addition to the Grenada Lake standings you will already have calculated.

Somebody help me remember the affiliated outside hunts that are still running...
There are 6 or 7 in Grenada
4 in Florida
2 in Alabama
2 in Kentucky
2 in Virginia
Osman in Illinois
How many in Buckville?
Am I missing any?

I don't mind keeping up with the hunts held away from Grenada if y'all are willing to lets put it all together at the end of the year. If the associations outside of MS, FL, and AL don't want to participate then they don't have to but I think there is a lot of overlap in hunters attending the dozen hunts or so held in MS, FL, and AL. Even the Kentucky hunters go to FL and MS to hunts. Joe Woodard goes to the Osman hunt, I think. The Arkansas and Virginia crowd I don't know about. They might be too isolated to care about it.

The lake race as a Grenada hunt's race will be a good thing and should stand alone in it's region as a territory in itself .There were several hundred hounds ,near or over 1000,cast there 2014 and minus the All American this year the Ms state will be there with a big entry for 2015 with all the rest held here. Any hunters are welcome to come participate in a lake hunt if they want .There is a special brotherhood of hunters at the lake hunts.

I didn't know posting your real name was so much to ask.....

Are there still going to be a points race for the lake hunts? Haven't heard anymore about it.

the Ms. state hunt starts in March so bring or send some hounds.

Heath Howell. There will be 3 outside hunts held in Ky this year.
Ky open
Ky state
Central ky

Osman is outside hunt in Illinois
Skoal creek is outside and I think Illinois as well. If I can help just let me know.
859 200 4488

DANIAL SEYMOUR IM WITH U
Im with Pat Chris JB I do what ever i can to help

Are we going to have a grenada lakes points race I haven't heard anything about it in a while