​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

Masterfox Message
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How many folks can still deer hunt with dogs?

I don't post much on here or speeddogs but its a slow day at the office and miserably hot. I'm looking forward to some cooler weather already and hunting season. With that said, how many folks are still able to deer hunt with dogs? It gets worse and worse every year around the house here in eastern nc, seems like we loose a dog club or two every year. Several paper companies have put no dog hunting clauses in their leases. Paper company land makes up a huge portion of nc dog clubs. South Carolina lost several dog clubs a few years ago when Sunoco cut out dog hunting. Seems like a year or so back I was reading on here about hunters in La, battling the national forest and also Weyhouser (sp). Just curious who all was still able to deer hunt with dogs and whose been forced out by land owners, law changes, etc.

Re: How many folks can still deer hunt with dogs?

We still have some clubs in south Mississippi !!

WE CAN,NOT LIKE WE USE TO.WE HAVE A GOOD PLACE LEFT TO RUN HOUNDS.THATS BOUT ALL IT IS.LUCKY TO HAVE THAT LEFT

We still run dogs in central Arkansas

We're the same as Brandon. Lucky to have what we have but have lost a lot due to paper companies and land owners. Plus all the new rules put in place by game and fish. Seems like one landowner with 20 acres has a bigger voice than a 50 yr old hunting club with 5k acres. It's an ongoing fight but we press on here in Alabama.

We still do here in Southwest Arkansas. Most around us is leased land, But we still hunt like we did when when I was a kid.

You can deer hunt with dogs most anywhere in Mississippi, but you are right. It gets harder every year

We still doing it in South La. but it gets to be more of a pain every year....between dogs disappearing and collars being taken off of the dogs that don't disappear I just about got enough of it....

Here in Louisiana the problem is, big land owners and Crooked Politician making closed door deals. These folks deal for self profit and your tax dollars. They even take Louisiana crooked politics all the way to Washington.Then they tell you this is a free country. YES!!!! A free country.Free to do what these CROOKS tell you to do. What ever happened to community hunting and the heritage of dog hunting???? My answer is BIG LAND OWNERS,BIG MONEY and CROOKED POLITICIAN.Here in Louisiana that is all that matters. It is called GREED

We still have a good bit of public land in North and central florida we can run on. There are still good private leases but they are being threatened every year.

I live near Harrison, Ar. in North Central Arkansas. We are too close to the Buffalo National River. No dogs during deer season here since the mid to late 70s. When the Game and Fish introduced the Elk on the river is when they cut us out. A few years ago they cut them out in a zone or two south of us as well. I just can't get real excited with the idea of climbing a tree stand and sitting and freezing my tail off waiting for a deer to walk by or waiting for them to come to a feeder. Don't get my blood pumping like hearing dogs push one. Wish they would get so thick here people couldn't have gardens or flowers in their yard. Really wouldn't bother me if they all fell over dead either. As the kids say.... #badtasteinmymouth

Around here in NC its still allowed as far as it being legal but as it was stated above paper company and big money are choking it out. I'm glad to hear that the guys in Florida have some good public land to run on. We've got some game land in NC that we can run and a couple of them are pretty good size blocks but within just the past couple of years it seems like every summer there is some sort of legislation pushing "still hunting only zones" on certain game lands. In my personal opinion if its game land paid for and maintained with tax payer dollars then each and every tax payer ought to be able to use it however he or she sees fit as long as the law allows.

In the state of Tennessee nobody runs anything with a hound.The old foxdog men are dead and nobody left that dont drive to pen hunt many miles .Havnt outside hunted since the mid 80's when deer took over and it became impossible to foxhunt without complaint from gunmen.

i guess i am one of the more lucky ones. i get to turn loose on aug 15th every year and listen to the dogs run. living in south carolina we dont have it as bad as some states. yeah lease prices are skyrocketing for us and restrictions are being put on us as dog men because of the new timber companies. i will keep paying the increases and following the rules so i can do what i love. i also know in the next few years i wont be able to with the way people are moving farther and farther into the country.