​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

Masterfox Message
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mastitis

What does mastitis look like in a gyp? What can be done about it?

Re: Mastitis

Utter(bag) is hard and feverish. Milk from that tit will be yellowish. Give 3 cc's of penicillin 3 to 5 days .

Thanks for the advice. What causes mastitis? This is the gyps first litter so I gave her some happy jack milkaid to help with milk production. I intentionally gave her less than the recommend amount. Pups look good they were two weeks old Monday sure don't want to lose any of them.

Mastitus is a bacterial infection of the mamory gland.

I have heard that milkaid can cause mastitis but I am not sure?

Also give her Banamine if you can. Banamine is used often for mastitis in cows and I have had good luck in a couple gyps that had it.

How much banamine do u give. How many days?

Banamine is an anti inflammatory / pain killer. Make sure she gets the penicillin cause that's what gets the infection. The banamine is just to help her feel good. Does nothing for infection. Half cc in the muscle. In a cow you milk it out each day along with the antibiotics. Yellow stringy nasty stuff. Don't know how that will work with a dog. Left untreated it can get her down an kill her.

Thanks for all the help. I gave her cephalexin and banamine but I'm not sure about how to milk it out of her. I was told by a hunting buddy that I need to get it out but I'm not confident enough in what I'm doing to get it out.

keep her on antibiotics and milk her also.should gradually get better.another antibiotic is sulfurmethazine-trimethaprim(spelling)smz-tmp for short.my vet's aids call it the mastitis pill.i know people use the cephalexin and had good luck with it.an older hunter told me once to rub **** gently with camphor oil and milk her.may get her over it without milking her,but it helps