​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Official Website of the Foxhunters Hall of Fame

Masterfox Message
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Collar breaking ?

I am new to the alpha and shock collars i am wanting to tone break my outside dogs i have got some good info from my friends but just wondering how everyone else does it any info would be very helpful thanks

Re: Collar breaking ?

The way I do with the tri tronics. Put your dog on a 25 - 30 ft cord. Call his name , hit the tone and then pull him to you and pet him up when he gets to you. After several times call him tone him then buzz him on the low setting then pull him to you then pet him up. This process works but takes time and working with them. I suspect many good dog will be ruined due to the alpha from lack of training.

Thanks john thats about the same way all my buddys have told me to do it . I dont wont to ruin any of my hounds thats way i am asking for advice

I agree with John, but to save you some time, set your collar on 6 or 7. It's just enough to get his attention. I test my collars on myself at 6, it's more of a surprise, than painful shock. This has worked well for me, although some dogs are more hard headed than others and you may have to adjust. The alfa is an awesome piece of equipment, but the best advice I could give anyone is be patient. Good luck.

Adam, I was like you and wasn't sure as to how to go about breaking a dog when I got my alpha. Here is how I approached it. I had a gyp that I had never caught away from my dog pen (my dog pen is inside my fox pen). She is not wild, just didn't want to be caught. She would follow my truck to dog pen and then come right to me. I put her on a 100 ft nylon cord. The first thing I did was blow my blowing horn and call her. I then would tone her and either pull her to me or if she came to me I would pet her. Then after awhile I would blow horn, call, tone and then vibrate. Before long she was coming to me. The first time I ran her with the collar on I blew horn, called, toned, vibrated and she didn't come. I bumped her lightly with shock (the only time I have had to shock one). She was at truck in a few minutes. From then on all I had to do was blow horn, call and maybe tone and she will find me quickly. The last few times I have run her I didn't even put the collar on her. I blow horn, call a few times and she will find me. Great tool if used properly.

Thanks for the advice

We call our dogs out, the horn works good for some people, some of the pens I hunt in has poor access, therefore I have found its easier handling, if I teach them to come to my calling. My wife will name them when they are nursing and by weaning time they are learning their name, by the time I have them broke to a leash, she has them all knowing their name and coming to you for treats. It's not a long process to get them to learn that you want to catch them. It's a pleasure hunting with dogs that have a good handle, good luck.